Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
John H
John H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD
Astak web updated with details...

Astak revealed all three readers on their homepage!
See http://www.astak.com/e-book.html.

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Looks a whole lot better now that they have the devices side by side and a summary of the information.

If they can really get these things in Target and Wal-Mart like they said, as well as having Fictionwise carry the whole line, for those prices, e-books and and e-reading should be in for a big boost.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
John H
John H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD
So far so good, right on schedule. I hope that Mentors will find the way to Europe, some european languages are included in support.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
BFD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
So far so good, right on schedule. I hope that Mentors will find the way to Europe, some european languages are included in support.
That's right. Big Flippin' Deal.

When Astak gives us real prices and a real place to *BUY* them, then I'll care. Right now, it's all fluff all the time. I want to see prices, a location to buy them and explicit views of the ebook reader software in action. At this point we don't know if it will even support anything but the very old, very obscure, very obtuse, STAReBOOK .stk format. Oh sure, there are *rumors*, but those and $5 will (barely) get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
That's right. Big Flippin' Deal.

When Astak gives us real prices and a real place to *BUY* them, then I'll care. Right now, it's all fluff all the time. I want to see prices, a location to buy them and explicit views of the ebook reader software in action. At this point we don't know if it will even support anything but the very old, very obscure, very obtuse, STAReBOOK .stk format. Oh sure, there are *rumors*, but those and $5 will (barely) get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Derek
Derek, why the cynicism?

Granted, we've all been burned by vaporware before but they are making some pretty strong claims in a short time frame (June is just a few weeks away).

Until June comes and goes and there is no product, then I'll be cynical.

But right now, I'm too busy looking forward to an e-reader that will be less than $200 that I can pick up from my local Wal-mart or Target in a month.
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
Derek, why the cynicism?

Granted, we've all been burned by vaporware before but they are making some pretty strong claims in a short time frame (June is just a few weeks away).

Until June comes and goes and there is no product, then I'll be cynical.

But right now, I'm too busy looking forward to an e-reader that will be less than $200 that I can pick up from my local Wal-mart or Target in a month.
Because I'm playing with an EB-100 even as we speak - you know the same basic platform as the Astak 6", except from Netronix? And so far I've not seen anything from Astak's site to give me hope that the Astak 5/6/9.7" models will support anything but .stk ebooks.

Oh well, if Astak doesn't deliver Mobi or eReader, at least one will be able to stuff OI (OpenInkpot OS) and FBReader onto the device. (Waitaminit! Now I'm *happy*! )

Derek
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Walk Broad
Connoisseur

I read in the thread they already have eReader support and Fictionwise will be carrying the whole line of devices.

I read through the whole thread because this seemed to be pretty accurate info from someone who actually works at the company.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=astak

Granted, there isn't a page up yet on Fictionwise, but those are some pretty big tales to be telling if they all turn out to be untrue. And a whole lot of time wasted if all just a hoax.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Walk Broad
Connoisseur

And how much did you pay for your EB-100? (If you don't mind me asking?)
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
They look really interesting, my only concern is that the 5" is Linux and while I like Linux I would really like to be able to use uBook on an Astak Mentor-- and that requires Windows.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
And how much did you pay for your EB-100? (If you don't mind me asking?)
$250. Of course, it doesn't have WinCE5.0; instead it's Linux 2.6.x. And no touchscreen, bluetooth or wifi.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
...Oh sure, there are *rumors*, but those and $5 will (barely) get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Derek
pure fud dude ...a large plain old coffee at Starbucks is all of $1.70ish depending on where a person is...same size at MickeyD's is about $1.60...I bring my own soy milk with some stevia and can enjoy my own latte for under $2.00

Heck a full 40oz made to order French Press using ANY coffee you want is only $8.00 or so...yes they will open a full bag of beans for one french press. This makes for a nice Sunday AM spent reading the paper and not being in the house for a couple hours.

anyway, back to the main topic...sorry for meandering OT....hehehehe...I just enjoy SB's and used to be of the same understanding that everything was $5 or more...not even close to true.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you look at the pictures in Nate's thread, one shows a file with .STK I sure hope that one of the big formats is natively supported.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
They look really interesting, my only concern is that the 5" is Linux and while I like Linux I would really like to be able to use uBook on an Astak Mentor-- and that requires Windows.
uBook is (as I've said before) my all-time favourite reading software too, but the fact that a machine runs CE doesn't necessarily mean it'll run. CE is a "modular" o/s and it depends how much of it they use. The standard Windows UI probably won't work too well on an eInk screen, so they could ditch the GUI altogether and use some sort of menu-based "shell", in which case GUI-based apps aren't going to run on it.

We'll just have to wait and see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
They look really interesting, my only concern is that the 5" is Linux
The web site does say Linux on the 5", but I don't understand why a company would sell 3 sizes with two operating systems. This looks like a support nightmare in the long term. I also assume that FictionWise can only support eReader on WinCE, and FictionWise has to be a major reseller for Astak. Linux could be right, but I would not be surprised if the 5" also ran WinCE.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree that these devices might very well tank big time if they don't have some decent format support.

I also think eReader is a really bad idea on a device with a 6" or larger screen. The problem is the way eReader eBooks are formatted. Again we are trying to fit old technology onto new technology. eReader is formatted for small palm type screens. That may work fine there, but not on a decent sized screen. Can you imagine reading a book with line separators for each paragraph and no indents? That looks awful on my computer screen. And it will not look any better on a 6" or 9.7" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak