Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
crescere
Connoisseur
crescere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
File designations have changed

The “MOBI” file designations on my files have been replaced with “Kindle Content.” Instead of the white box to the left of the book name it is a blue book. I have downloaded some book managers. Does anyone know which program did this, and how to bring it back? I would like to know if a file is MOBI or AZW etc. I am using Windows 7. Thank you.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't have Windows 7...but can't you turn on your file extensions so you can SEE if it's .mobi or .azw?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
crescere
Connoisseur
crescere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I checked the correct and relvant boxes in "Folder Options," but nothing has changed. Does anyone else have this occuring? Is the Kindle PC program doing this?
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Are you referring to the icons that you see in Windows Explorer (or any other folder window)?

If so, the reason that the icon has changed is that you have changed the application that is associated with the file type. That's probably because one of the file managers that you downloaded took over the association.

The "blue book" icon sound like the Kindle for PC icon, although I have no way of knowing if it's the same as the one you are seeing.

You should still be able to open the book by double-clicking on it. If you want to open it in a specific application, right-click and choose Open With.

To change the association, go into Folder Options, select the File Types tab, scroll down until you see the file type (and icon), click Change, and select the required application (this applies to Windows XP; might be slightly different with Windows 7).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
...Is the Kindle PC program doing this?
Probably, but without seeing the icon it's only a guess.

Kindle for PC does, somewhat rudely, take over the MOBI, AZW, and associated extensions. It not only sets itself as the default "Open" application, it also sets/changes the associated icon. It does this without asking, regardless of whether it's a new install or and update.

Mike L's post gives the basic steps for reseting the default Open application. The same Folder Options dialog also contains a control for choosing a new replacement icon.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Alissa's MobiHandler
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote