Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
I'd like to know whether other people tried to test their displays, to see how frequent the fault is.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'd like to know whether other people tried to test their displays, to see how frequent the fault is.
I can't say it anymore, because I returned mine.

What happens, if you scribble on these pixels?
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
@medvedev: Can you please post an image like psv from your whole display?
Click image for larger version

Name:	88.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	808.6 KB
ID:	80953

I see that some others have problems similar to me. I uploaded two chess pictures with the same resolution as M92.
You will see the M92 have problems with displaying this pictures properly in fullscreen. You can solve that problem by zooming in to 200% and after that zoom out to 100%.

Name:	chess.png
Views:	388
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	80954

Name:	chess_inverted.png
Views:	325
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	80955

PS: Thank You Booxtor
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Hello I am a new user of M92 and it's my first e-book (actually I have another smaller one -Samsung E60- which I received as a gift but never used it, since it's horrible for reading PDFs). Could you please send me the chessboard file so that I can do a comparable test on my screen? Hopefully everything it's fine with my device but I'm kind of a pessimist with brand new devices, they always seem to have their fair share of problem, and the Onyx Boox particularly so...

P.S. I bought it from Booxtor too, so it should be the first batch of a 100 devices...
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Hello Federico,
I attached two chessboards in my last post here.
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #21
Federico F.

Oh I just saw two grey images on the PC screen and thought they were something different. My fault! I will report whether my reader has the same problem as soon as I manage to use it! Thank you very much!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #22
Federico F.

Great, 2 defective pixels on my device, symmetric too, seems almost made on purpose !

Photo taken with the mobile phone and illumination provided by an incandenscent lamp (good old Russia) but the definition is high enough to see both defective pixels. The one on the right of the "BOOX" logo is more blurred because the light from the lamp was coming from that direction. Any other sign you may see was not due to the screen, I wiped it with an anti-static cloth to be sure. The two pixels behave differently in both kind of chesses but with my mobile phone I could not capture the dark-on-dark version

I'll ask my girlfriend for her Canon EOS camera if Booxtor wants to see a clearer, more defined picture. The problem however is definitely there. A single mp is so small that I've not noticed any problem yet while reading, but it's annoying nonetheless
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Onyx M92 defective pixels.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	81160  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
You seem to have another one.
However the pixels do no seem to be in the same area for all the ereaders which rules out the possibility that it is from the speaker.
I guess it it the quality of the screen.... or rather its lack of quality...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Onyx M92 defective pixels.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	81161  
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
medvedev
Connoisseur

Thanks Federico,
now I think that the most E-Ink devices have pixel errors?

By the way:
you can remove that squares when you first zoom in the picture to 200% and afterthat zoom back out to 100%. Maybe you can see more after that.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Federico F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
Thanks Federico,
now I think that the most E-Ink devices have pixel errors?

By the way:
you can remove that squares when you first zoom in the picture to 200% and afterthat zoom back out to 100%. Maybe you can see more after that.
I don't really know whether I want to know it

This e-reader costs almost as much as an ASUS eeePad Transformer, it is ridicolous that the quality is so low... and in my case I can't even send it back immediately to the store in Germany, since I'm using it to write my thesis here in Moscow! Damn
Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

That's interesting. I wonder, whether Onyx perhaps bought some sorted out Pearl display panels for lower price.
Just out of curiosity: Could someone please make the same test on a PocketBook?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #27
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Wow, now out of a sudden I am glad I didn't order a M92 the moment the money from my job as a student assistant arrived.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,

What about when you discover something wrong with your device just to contact your shop and explain the problem?
The warranty works, believe me We are really exerted to help every single of our customer.
Currently we have 4 reported minor problems with M92 of 100 sold devices. Two devices was already replaced. Two are waiting for new bulk that will be dispatched tomorrow.
I have contacted Onyx and they have promised to improve the quality control.
PS. In the very first bulk of PocketBook we had to replace 15 of 100! Now there are almost no problems.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Currently we have 4 reported minor problems with M92 of 100 sold devices. Two devices was already replaced. Two are waiting for new bulk that will be dispatched tomorrow.
PS. In the very first bulk of PocketBook we had to replace 15 of 100! Now there are almost no problems.
I don't think, that all buyers know about this pixel issue. Not all read this board and this issue is diffcult to discover. Or was the (major) rest of them informed by you to test their devices and they found nothing?

Last edited by Backi; 01-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Federico F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

What about when you discover something wrong with your device just to contact your shop and explain the problem?
The warranty works, believe me We are really exerted to help every single of our customer.
Sorry Boxtoor didn't mean to talk badly about the product whithout reaching to you, but I see you're very active on this forum so for the time being I was just exchanging info & views there. I will write an e-mail through your shop.

BTW, I do agree that the effective number of defective devices could be far higher, indeed this is not "really" a problem since I would have not noticed anything if I had not read the topic, and I'm sure many Onyx buyers do not read this forum, let alone the few who write there!