Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Convert/Delete Tags Automatically

Is there any way to convert tags as they are downloaded.

I get a lot of tags that mess up my library.

Example:
Sci-fi
Scifi
Science Fiction
Science-Fiction
Sci-fi (General)
Sci-fi (DiscWorld)
Science Fiction (Vampires)

etc....

Is there a way to set up a macro (for lack of a better term) that when these tags are downloaded. They are all renamed to simply "Science Fiction" This would help keep my tag list cleaner and more useful. Thanks.

I would also like to be able to make a list of tags that I don't want, that will be automatically deleted.

Like the following:
"General"
"General & Literary Fiction"
"Other"
"Misc"

As these seem to be completely useless.

Last edited by iridius; 02-23-2011 at 01:16 AM.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This way will clear the tags from a list (and books):
Pick a book with only tags you will KEEP.
Open the Metadata editor (blue i)
To the right of Tags, there is a buttonTag editor)
Select the ones you wish to 'bin'
use the recycle button on the left
Alternate: (and IMHO better because it will re-tag to something you wnt):

Use the Tag Browser:
Right click on an un-desired tag name:
'Rename' ( if to an already existing name: it will not double tag if you got the spelling and case correct)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
A more automated approach could be done with a plugin. For instance in my goodreads metadata download i put in place a hardcoded mapping between what values it could supply as tags and a smaller subset of tag names within calibre. A a more general approach across multiple metadata sources is an idea I have had for a while but it would require an extra step in your process as a plugin. ie hit ctrl d to get the tags then another keyboard shortcut or menu option to clean them up. The idea being that you would define in a similar way to goodreads but with a gui the mappings so all your sci fi variants go to a single Science Fiction tag for instance. Anything not defined in your list of mappings would get discarded.

A number of people disable tags because they are too random for their liking. His approach might give a better working subset. If it sounds of interest then post it in the plugin ideas thread.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote