Yes, I am a believer! 22 18.97%
Yes, DRM is removed so easily. 52 44.83%
Only it can't be avoided. 13 11.21%
NO! 29 25.00%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Exclamation Mobipocket released its last software one year ago

Hello everybody.

Lets celebrate! Today January 19th 2010 it is now one year since the last time Mobipocket released any software.

For those who don't remember: The last pice of software released was New 6.0 B080 Beta for Blackberry on said January 19th 2009.

Join me in my Message to the Amazon Overlords thread for some nostalgia on the demise of Mobipocket.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No matter how old the software is, it's still my favourite reader. The only thing I really find annoying is the lack of folder support on my PDA. And on my Mini I really dislike the epub format (those silly page numbers on the side, no battery status and absolutely no margin on top and on the bottom) so I'll keep on buying and converting to mobipocket.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I prefer reading Mobi over ePub on my reader also, but since I convert everything in Calibre and keep copies in both Mobi and ePub (just in case), the ease of DRM removal is my main reason for purchasing Mobi whenever possible. Not that it's difficult to remove the DRM from ePUB, but with the Calibre plugin, deDRMing Mobi is completely effortless (gotta love Calibre ).

Last edited by KarenH; 01-19-2010 at 03:37 PM.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Unhappy Hardware is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No matter how old the software is, it's still my favourite reader.
Very true indeed, I too read Mobipocket on my P990i.

But then: the problem is not how old the software gets but how old the hardware gets. When I next change my mobile phone it will be good bye Mobipocket. None of the phone I am interested in run the Mobipocket-Reader.

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 01-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My phone won't support it anyway And my latest device runs WinCE and it runs perfectly on that.

But, to date, I've not found one application that allows me smooth paging and the ability to make highlights.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Protest!

Where's the 'No, they won't let me anymore option'

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Where is the option
"No but I convert everything else into Mobipocket"
Still my favourite format.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Where is the option
The most correct answer for me would be,

yes, DRM is easlily removed and I convert everything else into Mobipocket...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The mobi software was rather good.
Mobi itself, lacked a few things ePub can do.
My reader reader ePub, it don't read mobi, I buy ePub, why bother with buying mobi and converting ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
krischik
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Where is the option
Well, that would be a different Poll because I was interested in Mobipocket - The Shop and not Mobipocket - The Format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
why bother with buying mobi and converting ?
That question is what this poll was supposed to answer. And the answer is: "Because DRM is removed so easily".

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 01-22-2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: manual multi quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That question is what this poll was supposed to answer. And the answer is: "Because DRM is removed so easily".
ePub drm can be removed even more easily, and they are better formated
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Well, that would be a different Poll because I was interested in Mobipocket - The Shop and not Mobipocket - The Format
Hmm, never bought anything ath Mobipocket - The Shop... I buy my Mobipocket books at Fictionwise
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
foxpaw
Foxpaw
foxpaw began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/AT&T Titan, Kindle DX
Is it just me, or does it seem Fictionwise is abandoning the Mobipocket format in recent months? Very few releases in Mobipocket format on FW recently. Seems they are pushing Barnes & Noble's eReader format, instead. (Of course, B&N owns FW.)
foxpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaw View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem Fictionwise is abandoning the Mobipocket format in recent months? Very few releases in Mobipocket format on FW recently. Seems they are pushing Barnes & Noble's eReader format, instead. (Of course, B&N owns FW.)
If you purchase ePub, it's very easy to strip the DRM and then using Calibre, it's also very easy to convert to Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I buy it since I have the Kindle and it is so much easier for me
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobipocket