Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #346
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
It can be my birthday present to myself next year. Now I will buy the touch as the paperwhite is not available where I live.
If you can suffer your K3 for a little longer (you mentioned elsewhere it was getting slow and battery not so good - maybe only keep a small number of books on it to help with that?), wouldn't it be better just to wait until it is your birthday and then the Kindle Paperwhite might be available?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #347
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Exclamation Oh, My, God

Has anyone noted this?

Look carefully: you need more light in a bright room, and less in a dark room. That means: contrast suffers without the light. It was expected with the capacitive touch.

E-ink Kindle with a tablet behavior (increase the light in a lighted room so you can reduce the glare a bit).

I definitely need reviews to decide before buying this whitehorse, say, paperwhite. (If it ever becomes avayable in Brazil.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleBrightTheBrightess.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	92019  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #348
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
you seem to be a very naughty monkey lately
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Maybe you should spank him...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
No!!! I suspect he likes that !!! (and fifty shades of banana makes its entrance in this thread too.....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

It was a setup I tell you, a set up!

What's going on guys?

Spoiler:

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #349
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Has anyone noted this?

Look carefully: you need more light in a bright room, and less in a dark room. That means: contrast suffers without the light. It was expected with the capacitive touch.
Yep I saw that but as someone who doesn't use a tablet, didn't notice the significance and wondered why it was the "wrong way round".

I'm looking forward to hearing how this and the Kobo Glow function in standard usage, sounds like they might not be so good in bright light despite the claims of better screens. Seems like you will need the light to always be on, and I wonder, is brighter necessarily always better for an e-ink screen?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #350
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Has anyone noted this?

I assume that the light, in a light room, is simply to make the screen appear white (as in the device's name), and dimming the light in a dark room is to reduce eye fatigue.

I'll be interested in seeing how much of an impact a 'white' screen makes to the e-ink reading experience.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #351
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
Its really easy to convert Amazon's books to epub with calibre and some plugins.
But they don't always come out quite right if the source is Mobipocket with really bad code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #352
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I assume that the light, in a light room, is simply to make the screen appear white (as in the device's name), and dimming the light in a dark room is to reduce eye fatigue.

I'll be interested in seeing how much of an impact a 'white' screen makes to the e-ink reading experience.
This.

@Antoinekamel: the hands-on impressions indicate that the screen is much better than a pearl screen. It should look better even without the light on. I don't plan on using the light, but this kindle is a no-brainer upgrade.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #353
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But they don't always come out quite right if the source is Mobipocket with really bad code.
I've converted over of 100 books, SQL books with complex layout, without any issue.

The old complain about mobi and library books is no longer valid.

Amazon is just gaining more users and honestly, regular people just don't care if the book they are reading is epub or mobi, as long as it can be read on their favorite ereader, call it Sony or Kindle.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #354
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I've converted over of 100 books, SQL books with complex layout, without any issue.

The old complain about mobi and library books is no longer valid.

Amazon is just gaining more users and honestly, regular people just don't care if the book they are reading is epub or mobi, as long as it can be read on their favorite ereader, call it Sony or Kindle.
Jocampo, isn't this contrary to the advice in your sig? I'm a little confused about that.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #355
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Jocampo, isn't this contrary to the advice in your sig? I'm a little confused about that.

eP
How? ...

I say, get an ereader based on what you read, not format.

If yours needs mobi, fine, if needs epub, fine. I don't see how that can be different.

It's kind of a dead horse to keep bashing Amazon because they do not use epub. Clearly, people don't care too much about it, they just want to read. Sales talk by themselves.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-08-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Fixing typos
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #356
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
It appears to be a contradiction, but they're complementary.

Statement #1:
"Please buy an e-reader based on the kind of books you read and like, not on the device's brand or name."

The content should be the determining factor in buying a device.

Statement #2:
"Amazon is just gaining more users and honestly, regular people just don't care if the book they are reading is epub or mobi, as long as it can be read on their favorite ereader, call it Sony or Kindle."

Once the device is purchased, buy content that fits it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #357
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
[QUOTE=WillysJeepMan;2215152]
"Please buy an e-reader based on the kind of books you read and like, not on the device's brand or name."

The content should be the determining factor in buying a device.

But the content I read is fiction. Any of the e-ink readers are going to display fiction pretty equally.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #358
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Well, I mostly read library ebooks; epub is usually available quicker than kindle format, so for me format does matter.

However, I'm strongly tempted by the paperwhite with the lighting as my night vision isn't very good after retinal surgery. So, I may ask for one for my birthday in November. I think I'll still hold onto my prs-350 for epubs, however. It's not worth much anymore anywhere, but I like the options available on the tiny Sony ereader even if I have to use a lamp or light in the evening.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #359
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What's going on guys?

Spoiler:

Don't try to talk your way out of this --- we watched you and your mates on Animal Planet
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #360
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing how this and the Kobo Glow function in standard usage, sounds like they might not be so good in bright light despite the claims of better screens. Seems like you will need the light to always be on, and I wonder, is brighter necessarily always better for an e-ink screen?
I do most of my reading in good light, but feel I *might* could enjoy something like this for reading in bed.

However, though I could like a little more contrast on my reader, I DON'T want a super white screen, because it'd be likely to bug my eyes. I used to find that reading paper books in sunlight was bothersome, the white of the paper just reflected too MUCH light into my eyes! When I read on my Note, it is with a custom background that is as close as I could get it to the grey of my Sony pearl e-ink screens.

I'm interested in the Kobo for bedtime reading, but I want to see one of these glow screens in person first.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote