Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Creative Technology joins the Ebook Market

Creative joins the rank ? An article from Singapore's newspaper.

=======================================
Creative's next chapter: e-book reader market

Singapore's audio devices maker Creative Technology is also moving into the red-hot electronic book reader market.

A working prototype - for now, named as MediaBook - is ready and will go on trial soon.

The final version will likely have a touchscreen, a text-to-speech function and an SD memory card slot. The e-book reader will also probably be Internet-enabled for a multimedia experience. It will run on Creative's 'Zii Technology' platform, chip and operating system.

As compared to the Kindle or Sony ebook reader, Creative plans to draw on the resources of at least 10 international and local publishers it is now holding talks with. They hoped to provide fiction, newspapers, magazines and educational materials such as textbooks.

It is expected that half the content will be international and the other half, local Singapore contents. They could tie up with publishers to offer subscription-based content.

Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), which publishes 17 newspapers and more than 100 magazines in the island, could be among the local content providers.

Creative is planning a few models of its e-book reader, from a base, text-only model for children to a higher-end one with capabilities to display text and pictures.

It hopes to hawk the e-book reader in Singapore first, and then offer it in China and elsewhere in the region, as well as in the United States, where it has a foothold through its SoundBlaster audio cards.

Creative's project got a leg-up when Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) named it as a partner of its 'FutureBooks' initiative, which aims to grow technology for next-generation books. This means Creative will get MDA's support in funding and introductions to potential content producers.

Whether Creative succeeds hinges on its ties with big publishers, its pricing structure and its range of content. It also depends on what other services its e-book reader can offer. Creative is not new to entering a market dominated by big players.

Last edited by chinesealbumart; 11-01-2009 at 03:03 AM.
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Darn!
I just read this article at news.cnet.com, and thought to be the first one to report it!

Anyways the article is found here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10387880-1.html
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
At the risk of being accused of being one of those people who jump in with negative comments without actually having ever seen the product: Guess we'll have to see how they do all that stuff with a screen as comfortable to the eyes as e-ink.

Intriguing to see, tho. By the time the Nook finally gets within physical reach, I may have to reject the whole idea of an ereading device because I'll have to wait for the next, and the next, and the next. Well, perhaps after Christmas, they will stop popping up out of their gopher holes.

AND if they don't want negative observations about their ghostly products, I'd suggest they PRODUCE them before they SELL them. Although in this case, they haven't actually offered them for sale.

But they have thrown down the gauntlet:

"Mr Png said Amazon's Kindle 'ultimately is just another electronic device which displays books in text'."

without providing Kindle a face to slap their glove against.

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-31-2009 at 07:35 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesealbumart View Post
Mr Png said Amazon's Kindle 'ultimately is just another electronic device which displays books in text'.
As opposed to what, the medium of dance?

It's pretty clear that all eReaders represent to Creative is another chance to sell poorly-designed and abysmally-supported gadgets to the masses. They heard all the rumours about the Apple tablet and decided they must have one too. I have no idea what their device will actually be like, but all this press release does is scream 'AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE'.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I actually love my Creative Zen media player....Just the thing to slip in the pocket on an airplane flight and watch video (admittedly on a postage stamp screen) and listen to MP3s...."While taking breaks from reading on my Kindle!" he added hastily....

I'm going to have to do some googling to find out if Creative is truly focusing on the Asian market (which might be a very bright thing to do, Amazon Kindle has no penetration to speak of there yet), or if the Asia focus is simply from this being a Singapore article.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still waiting for the first e-ink device that can run open format documents, and that has a larger than 800x600 pix resolution.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm still waiting for the first e-ink device that can run open format documents, and that has a larger than 800x600 pix resolution.
iRex?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
iRex?
is e-paper, no e-ink; expensive, and low battery life.
Also low contrast due to touchscreen.
I love the flip bar on the Iliad though!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
is e-paper, no e-ink; expensive, and low battery life.
Also low contrast due to touchscreen.
I love the flip bar on the Iliad though!
The iRex devices uses a Wacom inductive touch screen which is physically beneath the eInk (and it is eInk!) screen, and has absolutely no impact whatsoever on contrast. When I compare my DR1000S side-by-side with any of my non touch-screen devices (Opus or Kindle, for example), the contrast is identical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Isn't the power drain of a Wacom higher though?

Well, anyway, still using an origional Creative SB Live!, so I'm perfectly willing to wait and see what Creative come up with on its technical merits alone.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Isn't the power drain of a Wacom higher though?
When it's actually being used - yes, it has a significant power consumption. Just sitting there and waiting for you to do something, however, uses little power, and you don't use the stylus for "normal" reading on an iRex device, only when doing something like opening a new document.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/01/z...s-very-little/

it looks like it is a LCD screen.... more like a Tablet PC than a dedicated e-reader. This explains the color and video capabilities
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/01/z...s-very-little/

it looks like it is a LCD screen.... more like a Tablet PC than a dedicated e-reader. This explains the color and video capabilities
I'm hopeful. Something with 3Qi would be nice but I'd definitely consider an LCD if the thing has the right stuff. I'm pretty much done with e-ink until it becomes responsive enough for something other than novels.

Though I somewhat doubt Creative will take any high roads when it comes to whether they make their device as proprietary as Sony or Amazon or B&N...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When it's actually being used - yes, it has a significant power consumption. Just sitting there and waiting for you to do something, however, uses little power, and you don't use the stylus for "normal" reading on an iRex device, only when doing something like opening a new document.
Ah, fair enough
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'll keep an eye on it. I've been very pleased with my Creative MP3 players the past few years (small flash one for gym, 30GB Vision M for everything else.

And I'm interested in a tablet device as well.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote