Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
Angry Kobo website bad experience

Thought I would share my bad experience with the Kobo website with others. I went there to purchase a Kobo Mini. Went through the whole checkout process and received a credit card confirmation error, which to me meant purchase had not gone through. I checked for an e-mail from Kobo to make sure and nothing. I checked my credit card statement online and nothing. So I tried again that same night with the same result. Figuring it was just a glitch, I tried again the next day and each time had the same error, no e-mail, but this time when I checked my credit card statement, I had several seperate charges from Kobo US INC for the price of a Kobo Mini on my account . I called my credit card company to let them know of the situation and what had happened. I contacted Kobo via email and phone to inform them of my problem. The customer service rep told me that he had no record of me making a purchase, yet I had all these charges from them . He also told me that they had received many phone calls from other customers detailing similar problems. They have openned up a ticket for me and we will see how this gets resolved. So I still want to buy a Kobo Mini, but the Kobo website doesn't seem to want to let me do so Thought I would share for others that may experience a similar problem.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Yes, mine was also really strange. Placed an order — no confirmation, no error — just a charge. Kobo can't find any record, but CS rep escalated the case and asked that I refrain from placing another order. The next day tier 2 support found my order, which then sat for a week without anything else happening. Had to call again, then finally it was shipped. So unfortunately your experience seems to indicate they're still having problems.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Kobo US seem to have a record of customer issues. You can see for yourself with US residents ordering the Aura HD
I hope this will be solved for you soon.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

That is what I gathered from talking to customer service rep that this is an ongoing problem and they dont have a solution. I hope since I have started the resolution process, I will soon see a positive outcome. As to when I will get the Kobo Mini, that is anybody's guess.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Morganucopia
Bookaholic
Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Mini
I hope Kobo resolves this problem for you. Has your credit card company done a charge back?

In the meantime, I was at Target the other day and saw that they are selling the Kobo Mini, so for those of you wanting a Kobo, maybe buy from a store rather than Kobo's website.
Morganucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganucopia View Post
I hope Kobo resolves this problem for you. Has your credit card company done a charge back?

In the meantime, I was at Target the other day and saw that they are selling the Kobo Mini, so for those of you wanting a Kobo, maybe buy from a store rather than Kobo's website.

Yes, I had contacted the credit card company first to let them know of the problem. Contacted Kobo second. I dont see the Kobo mini listed on the Target website. Do you happen to remember what the price was? They are selling them for $39.99 +tax & shipping on the Kobo website.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
You're not alone. I tried to order a Kobo Glo last week (June 15) and it told me there was a "problem" with my credit card authorization. I knew there wasn't anything wrong with the card so I figured I made a typo on the # and tried again. Same thing. I was using Safari on my iPad.

Long story short I ended up with three pending charges on the card....but not one email from Kobo acknowledging the order. Called the credit card company and they said there was no problem with the card (which i knew) and the charges would fall off (they also said to call Kobo and have them rescind the charges but what good would that do? They never sent an email so they never "got" the orders.) I ended up using Firefox on my laptop and a different card, it went through, and 7 days later the 22nd I've got a Glo. The pending charges were gone Friday the 21st.

I also had trouble ordering from the iPad when I ordered my Aura but not that much! It just never went past the submit order page. Also had to order that from my laptop.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
You're not alone. I tried to order a Kobo Glo last week (June 15) and it told me there was a "problem" with my credit card authorization. I knew there wasn't anything wrong with the card so I figured I made a typo on the # and tried again. Same thing. I was using Safari on my iPad.

Long story short I ended up with three pending charges on the card....but not one email from Kobo acknowledging the order. Called the credit card company and they said there was no problem with the card (which i knew) and the charges would fall off (they also said to call Kobo and have them rescind the charges but what good would that do? They never sent an email so they never "got" the orders.) I ended up using Firefox on my laptop and a different card, it went through, and 7 days later the 22nd I've got a Glo. The pending charges were gone Friday the 21st.

I also had trouble ordering from the iPad when I ordered my Aura but not that much! It just never went past the submit order page. Also had to order that from my laptop.
I used both IPad "safari" and Windows PC Google "Chrome". I know sometimes they try and blame on it the browser used, but that is total BS. There are obvious big problems with their website when it comes to processing orders. I'm waiting to hear back from Kobo via email on what their "investigation" will uncover. I can tell them what their investigation will reveal...that their company charges customers incorrectly, doesn't send confirmation emails after a charge is made on customers credit card, and finally has no record of a purchase/transaction being made
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I had more or less the same thing happen, got the card authorization error, tried again a couple more times, never got an order confirmation from Kobo, but in fact the charges showed up on the card.

I called Kobo, they did not have record of the orders. I called my credit card company, they *did* have a record, but told me that when sites sometimes malfunction, the charges quickly fall off, and sure enough, they were gone in a week.

I then ordered again, problems with both IE and Firefox, finally managed to get an order to go through with Chrome. They most definitely have website issues! I did send them a screenshot of the card authorization error, but I doubt if they are doing anything much about the website.

Most recently, I was having trouble downloading the most recent version of their desktop software. Just kept getting messages that the download did not complete. I finally managed it from my Android media player, of all things!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I had more or less the same thing happen, got the card authorization error, tried again a couple more times, never got an order confirmation from Kobo, but in fact the charges showed up on the card.

I called Kobo, they did not have record of the orders. I called my credit card company, they *did* have a record, but told me that when sites sometimes malfunction, the charges quickly fall off, and sure enough, they were gone in a week.

I then ordered again, problems with both IE and Firefox, finally managed to get an order to go through with Chrome. They most definitely have website issues! I did send them a screenshot of the card authorization error, but I doubt if they are doing anything much about the website.

Most recently, I was having trouble downloading the most recent version of their desktop software. Just kept getting messages that the download did not complete. I finally managed it from my Android media player, of all things!
Not good when your customers can't buy your products from your website. I'm not holding my breath that I will hear back from them.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Morganucopia
Bookaholic
Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Yes, I had contacted the credit card company first to let them know of the problem. Contacted Kobo second. I dont see the Kobo mini listed on the Target website. Do you happen to remember what the price was? They are selling them for $39.99 +tax & shipping on the Kobo website.
I'm so sorry to not get back to you sooner. My city (Calgary) flooded and we're all dealing with that right now so I've been away from my email. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the price was. I tried looking it up on Target's website, but they don't actually list their products.
Morganucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

No problem, you had more important things to deal with. I'm sorry about all your troubles with the flooding. I found out about the Family Christian store and saw that there was one a few blocks away from my work. Went there bought one for the same price as the Kobo website, but without the $8 for shipping that Kobo charges. Also some of the money goes to charity, so win win for all.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
A friend of mine had an identical experience as the OP last week. Now all the charges seem to be cancelled.
I was fortunate I guess; no problems for me.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
TheMatrix
Enthusiast

I would say that if you are buying from the US then use another source other than the Kobo website. The Family Christian store is a good source and they seem to have the same price as the Kobo website but I think lower shipping cost.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
winwintoo
winwintoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just ordered a Kobo mini from BestBuy. Free shipping. No hassle. They only had black on sale and sale ends July 4th.

I'm in Canada, so YMMV if you live elsewhere.
winwintoo is offline   Reply With Quote