Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
windowsmaclinux
windowsmaclinux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
PDFs on DXG

Hi I'm not sure if anyone shares my observation. I'm a new owner of a DXG and I realize that the text in pdf files are somehow less readable than in the mobi format. The letters are just less sharp and the background is not as "white" (or greyish, as close to a white shade as the DXG can ever get). I'm looking for ways to make the text darker and sharper and the background whiter hoping that the contrast will increase for easier reading. If anyone has an idea please post here.

On a related note, those of you who made the switch to 3.x firmware from 2.5, did you notice an increase in pdf contrast? I know that the K3 has the option of increasing pdf contrast. Thanks!
windowsmaclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsmaclinux View Post
Hi I'm not sure if anyone shares my observation. I'm a new owner of a DXG and I realize that the text in pdf files are somehow less readable than in the mobi format. The letters are just less sharp and the background is not as "white" (or greyish, as close to a white shade as the DXG can ever get). I'm looking for ways to make the text darker and sharper and the background whiter hoping that the contrast will increase for easier reading. If anyone has an idea please post here.

On a related note, those of you who made the switch to 3.x firmware from 2.5, did you notice an increase in pdf contrast? I know that the K3 has the option of increasing pdf contrast. Thanks!
It depends on what font the PDF file uses. Bolder fonts are much more readable on eink. There are hacks to replace the fonts with more readable ones, but that might not work for a PDF file, unless your PDF reader app lets you override any internal font specification in the PDF file. Increasing contrast can certainly help.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert