Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
bo-kai
bo-kai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-650
Max Battery life

getting my PRS-650 tomorrow and was wondering about the first charge.

I ve been told by an assistant when bought some hand powertools that I should charge them, and then completely discharge them after the first use to maximise the battery efficiency. This was not written in the manual... any ideas if there is some funny charging sequence that I should do on my PRS-650?
bo-kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Most new lithium-ion based batteries do not require this, some older batteries had "memory" and if you didn't discharge they would hold less. From what I understand with most newer batteries you should charge frequently, as smaller charges have a lesser effect on the battery life (not as much heat). The further you discharge them the more heat builds when they charge and it lessens the battery life. I am not sure about the battery in the Reader though. I have also heard that fully discharging a lithium ion battery can cause it not to accept a full charge again, the device should cut off before the charge level reaches that low though, I believe. I've also heard that the batteries tend to last longer in cooler usage conditions.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert