snomonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question Transferring ebooks

How can I transfer books from my Kobo to my Sony 600
snomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
If they have DRM protection, the answer is no. The only solution is to remove this protection. (For this, Google is your friend.)

But if the books were acquired using Adobe Digital Editions software, then I believe you can authorize up to 6 different devices.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
In general, I believe that Kobo uses ADE for security, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Assuming the books started life at Adobe Digital Editions and from there were loaded on your Kobo, simply open ADE and plug in your new Sony Reader. ADE should see the reader and authorize it. You can then transfer the files from ADE to your reader by simply doing drag and drop.

If you have books from Kobo Books, go into their library, redownload the books and then follow the procedure above (if you don't already have ADE installed, just install it. I've downloaded more than once from Kobo books without any problems and installed to my Sony).

If the books exist solely on your Kobo reader and were based on stuff you downloaded from the Internet at random, simply connect your Kobo, copy the books to your hard drive and then connect your Sony Reader. Now you have three choices: drag and drop directly onto the reader (Windows -- if you're using Windows sees it as a hard drive.), open Sony Reader Library and then open the books from there or open Calibre and use it to transfer the books.

It all sounds much more complicated than it actually is, however Kobo and Sony both use the same DRM protection so there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER that you shouldn't be able to transfer your books over. If nothing else, you may need to "deauthorize" your Kobo reader under Adobe Digital Editions so that your books can then be loaded onto your Sony Reader, however it's not that hard.

As to removing DRM from your books, that is possible as well. There are programs that will do it for you and then you can load them and unload as you please. However, if you prefer not to do that or don't feel comfortable with the technical side of it, then as I said, you should be able to transfer over your books.

There is this misconception that some people have that there is no interoperability amongst book readers. This is simply not true. The reality is that the big three (iPad, Nook, Kindle) deliberately cripple their services so you are forced to buy from them. Everyone else, you can transfer at will between the different devices. You just may have to deauthorize the old device in ADE.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
jonnickell
jonnickell began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Sony prs650, Kindle 2 & 3, Reb 1100, Nook Color
Yes! I have a 600 and bought an Entourage Edge.. by activateing my Edge with the same Adobe account as the 600 I am able to use all of my Sony books on the glorious 9.7 in Edge eink screen.
jonnickell is offline   Reply With Quote