Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #2701
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasumi View Post
Ah, thanks for the info. Cause I heard of instances where ss hacks resulted in error messages during firmware updates, so I was a bit wary. So theoretically these hacks are OTA-safe yes? I suppose those problematic hacks were applied through SSH from the random pieces of codes I see lying around.

And to think I used to think those were safer/easier.
This is one of the best mate. great dev, great support, great.. well you get the idea. Safe hands.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #2702
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kasumi: Yup, this is OTA safe .

*rant*
Unlike, indeed, the few crappy commands laying around the internet (I purged the Wiki, we should be safe on MR ^^). Which provided me with a fun evening of entertainment today, after trying to jailbreak a K4... Utter madness & destruction ensued, apparently simply because of these stupid workarounds...
*/rant*

Anyway, that helped fix the K4 JailBreak doc, and find a bunch of stupid mistakes in USBNet (like, didn't anybody notice that scp was broken? Since apparently forever, and I never noticed because both my K2 and K3 had an old symlink laying around... >_<").

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2012 at 08:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #2703
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released USBNetwork v0.45.N

* Always enable USE_VOLUMD on the K4 (@ install time)
* Add a symlink for scp, because I somehow managed to remove it at one point, and without it, we can't use scp .
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #2704
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It sometimes helps to actually have applicable hardware, so you can actually test your hacks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2705
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GM: Yep, apparently, it really does ;D.

And... I think I actually never did setup the scp symlink properly in usbnet... The one on my K2 is vintage: Aug 28 2009. >_<". It might actually be part of the vanilla system, which might explain why I never questioned it...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #2706
kasumi
kasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle ($69 Black)
I'm never trusting anymore of those "You can *DO THIS* without Jailbreaking" hacks. The public should be educated more about how dangerous those stuff actually are. You should know something is wrong when you go like this:

Jailbreaking: Hey that was EASY!
Installing USBnet: Phtttt I can do that.
Hack away in SSH: What does this mean?? Error? Um okay, let me try this.....uh-oh

@NiLuJe:

Anyways...geekmaster told me to reinstall my jailbreak, but I never gave any details so I suppose I could ask again, if you would so please answer me. This is what I did:

• Installed kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.4.N.zip. Success.
  • Installed kindle-usbnetwork-0.44.N.zip. Success.
  • Bricked.
  • Factory reset with /usr/sbin/factory_reset. Debricked.
  • Only default files left in USB mass storage

So now I want to install the new kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.5.N.zip.
Do I have to uninstall kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.4.N.zip and usbnetwork first? Or just go ahead?

Thanks
kasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #2707
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I think you are supposed to still use the uninstallers, since the factory reset does not remove the hacks.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #2708
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kasumi:

If you only did a factory reset, and didn't flash anything, you should only need to put the usbnet folder back in the userstore, the JB & usbnet hack are still 'installed', only the stuff in the userstore is gone.

But, given the fact that it's a K4, and I just fixed a few things in the K4 install process, I'd recommend just running the latest usbnet *installer* .

(No need to uninstall anything to upgrade the stuff in this thread, not even the JB on this device).
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #2709
hamburghammer
hamburghammer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3g uk
can't uninstall 0.11.N

Hi, I have the 0.11.N for the k3gb installed but want to uninstall it to be ble to use duokan but in the zip file there is no uninstall bin file for this version. What can I do?
hamburghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #2710
kasumi
kasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toyskasumi shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle ($69 Black)
qlob, NiLuJe:

You guys rock!
kasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #2711
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hamburghammer: Ha. Nice catch, I screwed the filenames up.

EDIT: Just re-uploaded a package with proper filenames.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #2712
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@inameiname: Oh. Then I have a slight idea of what might have been the issue.... (Still shouldn't happen in 'normal' circumstances, though...). That said, no, the uninstall won't have deleted usbnet's logfile, but then given when it hung, it might not even have been created at that point .

The system logs might hold more information, but then again, maybe not...

@simblanco: Don't reboot with a custom .bin on your Kindle. Always use the 'Update Your Kindle' link from the Settings' page menu.

Ah, well thanks for the info. It still is working, so no complaints on my side. I just noticed the updates to these hacks on here since my last visit to this forum, so I guess we'll see if all goes well again when I update those.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #2713
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
I know this isn't a big deal, but I've noticed that the Picture Fullscreen hack isn't on the whitelist on the latest Jailbreak hack. It's not a huge issue, but I figured I'd mention it. I always just manually add it by doing the following: add line "update_picture-fullscreen" into file linkjail/etc/whitelist.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #2714
hamburghammer
hamburghammer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3g uk
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@hamburghammer: Ha. Nice catch, I screwed the filenames up.

EDIT: Just re-uploaded a package with proper filenames.
Thanks a lot, will check later.
hamburghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #2715
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@inameiname: The latest jailbreak doesn't rely on the whitelist anymore. It's just there as a potential fallback (and for the update traps of the ss/fonts hacks).

But, for completeness' sake could you link me to the hack you mentioned?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-20-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet