Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #286
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I read the Iliad the first time in prose format. Much easier and translating a poem that long is not easy.... Harry T. would know a good translation..since He can read the original.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #287
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I read the Iliad the first time in prose format. Much easier and translating a poem that long is not easy.... Harry T. would know a good translation..since He can read the original.....
As I've said on many occasions, I recommend Richard Lattimore's translations of both the "Iliad" and "Odyssey" - both as available as ebooks. They come closest to maintaining the "feel" of the Greek verse.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #288
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I've downloaded a few different translations of The Iliad and will have another go at reading it when I've finished my current book. I'll report back........but it could be a while!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #289
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes! I'm halfway done with my challenge. I just finished book 25 of 50. Besides a little reading-slump earlier this month, this has been a great reading year so far!
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #290
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Yes! I'm halfway done with my challenge. I just finished book 25 of 50. Besides a little reading-slump earlier this month, this has been a great reading year so far!
Congratulations! I've been reading lots, but I've also been buying lots. So my personal challenge looks like not being met.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #291
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I've downloaded a few different translations of The Iliad and will have another go at reading it when I've finished my current book. I'll report back........but it could be a while!
I've managed to get to book five of Samuel Butler's translation of The Iliad so it looks like this is the one for me!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #292
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I'm in trouble. The last book I finished was on May 4th. That is definitely going to make a dent in my progress.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #293
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've only finished one so far this month, too. I got interrupted and a bit bogged down in the second, so I actually started a third quickie a few days ago, which I ought to be finishing now. Only I seem to be browsing the web on my iPad.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #294
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How are you all doing in your progress towards your goals? I have been in a slump these days partly due to the David Weber, Safehold volume one Off Armageddon Reef book that I have been reading, is real slow going. Dropped by my library on Baen and found that there are a lot of books over there that I have not read as yet so I picked up one of them called Dream Land volume one Waking in Dream Land by Jody Lynn Nye, that's been going fairly well so perhaps I will get to my goal however unlikely that may be.

You should be half way to obtaining your goal if you are going to reach it this year as June if the sixth month and the beginning of third quarter 2013 or second half 2013 which ever way you want to look at it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #295
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
You should be half way to obtaining your goal if you are going to reach it this year as June if the sixth month and the beginning of third quarter 2013 or second half 2013 which ever way you want to look at it.
We have until the end of June to be halfway there, right?

I've just passed the one-third mark of total reads. I have some shorter reads coming up but I'm 10/25 on my challenge selections list and am happy with that!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #296
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I'm slowly polishing off the last of my required reads for this year. One dozen years left to go. I'm hoping to be down to about eight by the end of June so I can clear off some wanted-to-read-for-a-long-time options this year as well. Then it will be trying to figure out next year's challenge. I'll have to think about that one.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #297
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've bought 72 books so far this year out of the 120 that was my target. That leaves only 48 for seven months - less than seven per month. I don't think I'm going to meet my goal this time. But I'll get as close as I can.

Reading-wise I've currently at 83 read, so I'm on course for reading about 200 this year, which might enable me to make my secondary goal of reducing my TBR by 67 books if I can keep purchases under 133. (i.e. eight per month or less).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #298
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I had a great month and read 12 books, bringing my total for the year to 54. My first goal was 50 books for the year, I increased that to 75. I am thinking of going all the way and seeing if I make 100 for the year. Will look at how well I go during June. I have a lot more 450/800 page books in my 10 book que books this month, tho I had a couple last month as well and went okay. Chilly days should help. Night reading tho is and has not been possible for a while. The MS is being a pain with my eyes as the day wears on.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #299
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Finally Reading Again ... Again! Yay!

A few days ago I finished The Friday Society, which I enjoyed. It was a fun "light" read. I'm hoping it becomes a series.

I'm now reading Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga #1), which I am also enjoying. While I'm only about 6 or 7 chapters in, it seems to be Epic Fantasy at its finest.

Edit: I meant to post the above (and will do so) in the "What are you Reading" thread. As for my challenge, The Friday Society placed me at 50% of my goal completed. Magician:Apprentice will be book #27.

Last edited by Nyssa; 05-31-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #300
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Priorities, priorities!

Well, I have read 10 books this year (3400 pg), but only two of those were from my challenge. I knew this would happen, and ofc after I read The Painted (Warded) Man, I had to get into all the sequels that were not on my challenge. Not to mention I finished few SF titles for the first time in my life (Ender's game, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and I am Legend). Also not on the list lol

Currently reading (60% in ) Perdido Street Station. What a monster of a book. Literally Amazing writing style. I absolutely love China Miéville. Just like with Gaiman's American Goods this book makes me want to read more of China's works. Maybe Scar...or King Rat

Anyway I have 14 books on my currently reading and if I finished half of them I would have around 3000 pages read. The tragedy is I have most of them more than half way read, but I have a problem of actually finishing a book

I am not sure if I will actually finish this challenge. I have a thesis to write this year lol, hence priorities, priorities!
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote