Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Nearly true but try it with a docx on slightly older or non-wintel machines...
Docx (or more correct, Office Open XML) is standardized by ECMA. The spec is available to anyone who wants it, and can be implemented by anybody who can follow the spec. If you're having trouble opening a docx file, you're missing software but that doesn't mean you have to go buy Office 2010 to be able to open it.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Format does not equal DRM, that is a totally different discussion.

And while every other e-reader out there uses E-Pub, I would guess that, if the numbers were ever released, that the best selling format is Mobi because Amazon sells the most e-readers in the US, sells a ton of e-readers outside the US, has the largest book store in the US, and is rapidily expanding its foreign based bookstores and books in those stores. There are folks who would argue that the standard format is actually Mobi since it is the most widely used format.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Format does not equal DRM, that is a totally different discussion.

And while every other e-reader out there uses E-Pub, I would guess that, if the numbers were ever released, that the best selling format is Mobi because Amazon sells the most e-readers in the US, sells a ton of e-readers outside the US, has the largest book store in the US, and is rapidily expanding its foreign based bookstores and books in those stores. There are folks who would argue that the standard format is actually Mobi since it is the most widely used format.
This.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I agree howyoudoin: There are many more devices and stores that use Epub...but I bet there are more sales of .mobi books, although PDF is still a popular format, too.

Anyone who thinks that Amazon won't eliminate Agency Pricing and reduce royalty rates as soon as they feel they have control of the ebook industry is incredibly naive. Amazon has shown this form of predatory behavior before against print publishers in the UK.

Eliminating DRM so readers can buy from any store without any hassles could be a potent tool for publishers to retain some measure of control over their fates. The conflicting DRM-schemes and fragmented ePub non-standard (aka KoboPub and ApplePub) are doing nothing to help the Epub side of the argument.

If non-DRMed music works (and it does)*, it will work for ebooks.

DRM is just one more hassle that people don't want to deal with and therefore many people (like me) still just buy paper books through Amazon (when I can't get it on Smashwords or Baen) since buying a paper book is just as easy as buy an ebook...and if you buy used, cheaper.

* What changed in music is not that people buy less music--the total volume of music sales is higher than ever before--but people finally had a choice to buy just the single they wanted for 99 cents instead of being forced to shell out $15 for an entire CD to get the one or two songs they really wanted.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 02-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Make mine a unicorn please.
A Pegasus for me. If I had a unicorn, someone would lose an eye sooner or later.

As already mentioned, DRM is the issue, not format. There are already ereaders that read both mobi and epub, minus the DRM. Anyone can make mobi files. Anyone can make epub files.

(I know I'm basically reiterating, I just felt I should say something more than "gimme winged horsie!")
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm not sure how many authors buy into the DRM thing. I know some of us don't, but I'd love to find out how many of the indie offerings at Amazon, for instance, are DRMed and how many aren't.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
A Pegasus for me. If I had a unicorn, someone would lose an eye sooner or later.
I rather fancy a mini-dragon. Let it wrap itself around my shoulder and take out any format/drm evangelizers so I can just read in peace.

(Hey, it works for Philip Linx.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Make mine a unicorn please.
Horses are fast.

Unicorns are poky.

Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The big difference between books & music is that thanks to cds and cd-drives in computers, someone could easily and quickly make their own mp3 (or whatever format).

Music selling sites had to compete with that, cds.

While it's certainly possible to make a epub or mobi from a book, it's a lot more work than sticking a cd into the computer and clicking a few buttons.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Docx (or more correct, Office Open XML) is standardized by ECMA. The spec is available to anyone who wants it, and can be implemented by anybody who can follow the spec. If you're having trouble opening a docx file, you're missing software but that doesn't mean you have to go buy Office 2010 to be able to open it.
Yes but that assumes you know this... not true for a very large number of Office users (especially those with older versions/older machines) who actually just want to get on with some work rather than having to put in time knowing what's going on under the hood...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
[RANT ON]I still can't figure out all the whining about DRM...it is no different than a software license. If you ACTUALLY read the EULA for the software you are only allowed to install it on one (1) computer. Just because you have multiple computers does not mean you can install it on all of them with the same license...and it is no different with ebooks, you license it for the device you use.[RANT OFF]

The simple solution is if you don't like/agree with it don't buy books with it...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
I have plenty of software that doesn't say anything of the sort. So that is utter rubbish.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I have plenty of software that doesn't say anything of the sort. So that is utter rubbish.

So you buy Adobe's Photoshop and nowhere in the EULA is says you can install it on every computer you own? I would venture a guess you never read the EULA and simply check the 'I agree' box and continue on your merry way...besides I didn't say ALL software...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
So you buy Adobe's Photoshop and nowhere in the EULA is says you can install it on every computer you own? I would venture a guess you never read the EULA and simply check the 'I agree' box and continue on your merry way...besides I didn't say ALL software...
Adobe allows you to install on two computers. Like most, I have mine on my desktop and laptop.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #30
jmaejr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Adobe allows you to install on two computers. Like most, I have mine on my desktop and laptop.
Apache
Interesting...after I activated mine I could not install it on another one. (CS5.5)