Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
kkasmire
kkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheesekkasmire can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Awesome! Looks like I pried off the back of my KT4 about 4 hours too early!
kkasmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #17
murderouslyrics
Member Retired
murderouslyrics began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any way to duck paying the $40 to get rid of SO, or is anyone working on that?
murderouslyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
lumanz
lumanz began at the beginning.

Device: Bold 9000/Kindle Keyboard/Kindle Touch
I'm wondering how to change the default font.

I used winscp and found the old font.properties file not there.

Instead, I found a fontconfig.properties and I don't know what to do with it.

Could anyone pls have a look at this?

Spoiler:
#
# @(#)linux.fontconfig.properties 1.2 03/10/28
#
# Copyright 1990-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
# SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL. Use is subject to license terms.
#
# Adapting Sun's fontconfig.properties to fonts used by LAB126

# Version

version=2

# Component Font Mappings

serif.plain.latin-1=-b&h-caecilia-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.bold.latin-1=-b&h-caecilia-demibold-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.italic.latin-1=-b&h-caecilia-medium-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-caecilia-demibold-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

sansserif.plain.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.bold.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.italic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

monospaced.plain.latin-1=-b&h-kindleblackbox-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.bold.latin-1=-b&h-kindleblackbox-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.italic.latin-1=-b&h-kindleblackbox-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-kindleblackbox-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

dialog.plain.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.bold.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.italic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

dialoginput.plain.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.bold.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.italic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-helvetica-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

symbol.plain.latin-1=-b&h-symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
monospacedsymbol.plain.latin-1=-b&h-monospacedsymbol-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

# Search Sequences

sequence.allfonts=latin-1

# Exclusion Ranges

# Font File Names
filename.-b&h-caecilia-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Caecilia_LT_65_Medium.ttf
filename.-b&h-caecilia-demibold-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf
filename.-b&h-caecilia-medium-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Caecilia_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf
filename.-b&h-caecilia-demibold-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Caecilia_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf

# FIXME: using caecilia for now
filename.-b&h-helvetica-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Helvetica_LT_65_Medium.ttf
filename.-b&h-helvetica-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Helvetica_LT_75_Bold.ttf
filename.-b&h-helvetica-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Helvetica_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf
filename.-b&h-helvetica-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Helvetica_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf

filename.-b&h-kindleblackbox-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/KindleBlackboxRegular.ttf
filename.-b&h-kindleblackbox-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/KindleBlackboxBold.ttf
filename.-b&h-kindleblackbox-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/KindleBlackboxItalic.ttf
filename.-b&h-kindleblackbox-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/KindleBlackboxBoldItalic.ttf

filename.-b&h-symbol-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Kindle_Symbol.ttf
filename.-b&h-monospacedsymbol-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1=$JRE_LIB_FONTS/Kindle_MonospacedSymbol.ttf
lumanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderouslyrics View Post
Is there any way to duck paying the $40 to get rid of SO, or is anyone working on that?
You must have missed this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
It's not for and doesn't work on special offer kindles, so don't even ask.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
@yifanlu
congratulations!
wow!! They made it possible to execute HTML & Java in a ID3 tag of an MP3?
How is that kind of insecurity even possible?
Anyways, great jailbreak, hats off for this very clean approach!
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
ventomarme
ventomarme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@yifanlu: you are awesome!
Can't wait to see useful and exciting modifications on Kindle Touch.
ventomarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
dwallersv
dwallersv began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
It was $40 - but unless you spend it you cant use the jailbreak.
Yes I can :-)

I'm a software engineer/developer/hack.

While my ethics do not support removing the SOs from my Kindle (that was the deal I made with Amazon... $40 cheaper, and I will accept advertising), I don't feel the manner of the advertisement is part of that contract.

Specifically, I don't feel I have agreed to be constantly annoyed. I've agreed to be exposed to the ads (and if there is something I find of interest, take advantage of it, something I've done once already).

So, my objective is to use the JB to work on a less obnoxious/intrusive ad mechanism. For example, I don't want their f*cking offers as my screensavers. I want my own. However, I wouldn't mind at all a full-screen ad that I haven't seen yet showing when I wake the KT up, with a button to dismiss it. Then, it will never show again.

Simply put, if I'm not interested in an offer, Amazon has no business harassing me with it over and over. I can completely live up to my end of the bargain, while minimizing the unnecessary annoyance of their braindead implementation.

The banner ads on the home page are inconsequential -- I've found I don't even really notice they're there most of the time.

Last edited by dwallersv; 12-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
dwallersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I hope I'm not stepping on toes here (if so please delete my post and there will be no hard feelings)

But if you set up your router to redirect traffic from the kindle ad server to a bogus IP, then reset your device to factory defaults it will not be able to download the ads. Then the screensaver hack provided will work even on your SO kindle. Alternatively, you can reset your device to factory defaults then just not register it, if you don't register it, the kindle will assume you did not buy the SO kindle.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
There's many ways of getting rid of ads. That doesn't mean you should.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

More importantly than the ads thing, I have the updated SSH mod loaded into my kindle and I'm using linux (in a VM on windows) I've set the password and enabled the ssh by doing the ;un from the search bar. I set my ip address (of the Linux VM) to the recommended 192.168.15.1, but when I type in ssh root@192.168.15.244, it just hangs until it times out (port 22). Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Edit: for additional information, when I restart it and try to ssh into without typing in ;un then I get an error message that says "ssh: connect to host 192.168.15.244 port 22: No route to host"

Last edited by abishur; 12-12-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
in my case. I'm using a mac with lion, a new network adapter will be installed when I connecting the kindle touch with ";un" command executed.

I set the "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" device ip to 192.168.15.1, mask 255.255.0.0.

then I can ssh to the kindle touch properly.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #27
abishur
Enthusiast

So to clarify, you are physically connected via the usb cable and not connecting to it via wifi?

Edit: So I followed your advice.

I booted the Kindle

Then entered ;un

Then attached it via USB

Linux listed it as a new network adapter.

I set that adapter's ip address to 192.168.15.1

Opened a terminal and entered ssh root@192.168.15.244

And I'm in! This is awesome, but does anyone know the steps to access it via wifi (I thought this mod let you do that)

Last edited by abishur; 12-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
And I'm in! This is awesome, but does anyone know the steps to access it via wifi (I thought this mod let you do that)
Asked the same thing.
I tried first over USBNetwork, then I added the IP Table to open port 22 over wifi.

add firewall rule:
Quote:
vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables

add line:
-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
Now it works with the WiFi IP, too!

Last edited by Novo; 12-13-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Actually, I found the post ambiguous. Is it the jailbreak that does not work on SO KTs or is it just the screensaver hack that does not work on them?
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #30
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I've installed the jailbreak, was curious, how do you install Lu's screensaver mod?
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote