Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #61
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dont have mine with me right now, but one is the camera and the other is a light sensor if I recall correctly.

You probably do not have the most current update, theres been a few patches since it came out. Got to settings, about tablet, system update, and then hit check for update.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #62
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
That was one of the first things I did. It downloaded a couple updates for certain apps (I don't remember now), and that was it. It surprised me that it came pretty much updated out of the box.

A light sensor. That makes sense. Thanks (again!).
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #63
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
That was one of the first things I did. It downloaded a couple updates for certain apps (I don't remember now), and that was it. It surprised me that it came pretty much updated out of the box.

A light sensor. That makes sense. Thanks (again!).
Not the apps.. the OS itself.

Goto SETTINGS->ABOUT TABLET then scroll down, the current BUILD VERSION is 8.4.4.5-20110527

If yours does not say that then you need to click SYSTEM UPDATE from that menu and then click CHECK FOR UPDATE

Theres been several updates since the TF's started shipping, your TF was definitely behind when you got it, and may or may not be up to date yet.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #64
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I tried to update the OS after I was prompted to download a couple updates for apps. But it said that my device was up to date. Now I tried again and I got the same message. My build version is not the one you mention. It's 8.2.3.9-20110423. Weird. I guess I'll try again later.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #65
VydorScope
Wizard

Not surprised, not everyone has gotten that last update yet. They are rolling it out in waves to prevent themselves from being overloaded.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #66
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've just sent in my iPad 1 to Amazon to "trade in" for a Transformer! If I never see iTunes again, my life will be happy!

Looking forward to entering the wonderful world of Android!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #67
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've just sent in my iPad 1 to Amazon to "trade in" for a Transformer! If I never see iTunes again, my life will be happy!

Looking forward to entering the wonderful world of Android!
I've just read 2 readers' comments in a PC World review of the Transformer and they say much the same thing. They both have IPads but like the Transformer better. Now I just have to wait until they ship more to Australia and the price come down to reasonable levels..... (Yes - the good old Aussie retailers are doing it again, holding us to ransom with inflated prices)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #68
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I've just read 2 readers' comments in a PC World review of the Transformer and they say much the same thing. They both have IPads but like the Transformer better. Now I just have to wait until they ship more to Australia and the price come down to reasonable levels..... (Yes - the good old Aussie retailers are doing it again, holding us to ransom with inflated prices)
OT; While I wait for my new Eee Pad to get its first 8hr charge. It seems
odd to me that with everything being made in China or Singapore and you
(Aus) being so much closer, that you guys would have to pay more?

I know that you are a smaller market, but so is Canada. I know that your
governmental system and financial system have British roots, but again so
does Canada. You have the free market example of Hong Kong nearby what
is holding you guys back?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #69
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
Posted in the wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited by lost101; 06-09-2011 at 06:39 AM.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #70
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the impression that the original release of the dock had some issues. So, I
personally am waiting till someone like NewEgg gets restocked. (I have a notification
request in at NewEgg.) I would worry that some of the resellers that are out there
might still be selling the original hardware run.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #71
VydorScope
Wizard

Based on serail numbers mine is a much later run then the first ones to hit the stores... got mine last time Amazon had them back in stock. I have not had any problems with my doc. Plus there was a doc firmware update that came as soon as I connected it, so I suspect that had fixes in it too.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #72
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
mine is a new batch and with the latest update. the dock drains about 3-5% when the tf is in the dock. without it docked there's almost no drain. makes it's a pretty poor battery back up since it can't really hold the charge well while docked. works fine as long as you like carrying 2 pieces.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #73
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Newegg sent me the notice and I ordered one today, so they have some in stock now.

You know much as I like this device for a number of things, so far ereading isn't one of
them. Beginning to wonder why it's a topic for MobileRead Forums. Well, I haven't
tried it with color magazines or even my new e-cookbook, it would surely shine with
those, and that would be ereading , I guess.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #74
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Newegg sent me the notice and I ordered one today, so they have some in stock now.

You know much as I like this device for a number of things, so far ereading isn't one of
them. Beginning to wonder why it's a topic for MobileRead Forums. Well, I haven't
tried it with color magazines or even my new e-cookbook, it would surely shine with
those, and that would be ereading , I guess.

Luck;
Ken
I use my NookColor as an e-reader, I use the Asus as... a tablet and a netbook. The Asus has an awesome screen, and lots of great uses... just NookColor is superior form factor, IMO for e-reader. Asus TF is just to big and heavy, IMO.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #75
Andanzas
Out of print

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
mine is a new batch and with the latest update. the dock drains about 3-5% when the tf is in the dock. without it docked there's almost no drain. makes it's a pretty poor battery back up since it can't really hold the charge well while docked. works fine as long as you like carrying 2 pieces.
Are you keeping this one?

I am definitely keeping mine. What a great device. I have my doubts before buying, but now I feel like a kid with a new toy. I was concerned about certain issues, but I can live with them:

• The light bleed is there, but it doesn't bother me. It's not as intense as I feared. I only notice it when the screen goes dark in a dark room. The screen is so gorgeous I can easily forgive a little shortcoming.
  • I think one speaker might be louder than the other on my unit. Again, I don't care. The speakers are so weak (probably worse than the average netbook speaker, or at least equally lousy, which is not surprising considering the size of this thing) there's no way I am going to listen to music or watch a movie without headphones. The speakers are fine for casual gaming, but that's it. With headphones the sound quality is acceptable but nothing to write home about. As an MP3 player the TF is underwhelming.
  • The plastic body seems rigid enough. It's true it doesn't come close to the iPad or Xoom build quality, but on this kind of device the most fragile part is always the screen.

Anyway, I am having lots of fun discovering the features of my TF. It's a pleasure to use. It's probably too big to be a recreational reader, but I use it constantly to read work-related stuff.

My major gripe is the market store. My problem is not the lack of apps, but how difficult it is to find the really good ones.

Well, I have to go, so I'll edit and complete this post later.

Tags
android, asus transformer, honeycomb