Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Covers

Has anyone found any alternative covers for the 350 to the Sony covers as yet? I've ordered my 350 off Waterstones tonight, but I don't care for 'book' type covers. (I have the m-edge platform cover on my 505.) Then again, I also want something thin. The reason I'm buying the 350 over the 650 is that I want something small and light.

However I also want good protection for carrying in my purse/handbag - any ideas?

(Otherwise I'm seriously thinking of whipping up something myself using some aluminum (aluminium for those in the UK!) sheeting and glove leather - maybe into a top or side opening pocket? Wouldn't be too difficult but I certainly don't need another project in my life at the moment! )

Last edited by Pegster; 09-22-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should anyone be actually be interested, I've ordered the ULTIMATEADDONS Leather Envelope Style Sleeve Case for Sony PRS-300 from Amazon for my 350:

I'll let y'all know how it works and how well the 350 fits in it - should arrive within the next day or two.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
The case I have for my 600 is a Tuff luv one I ordered from Amazon - I am very pleased with it, and they have also introduced one for the 650. Given that they have them for the 300, 505 and 700 as well as the Kindle 3 I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the 350 version comes out - hopefully a link to the 300 version is attached

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Sad...5270836&sr=8-5
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
Should anyone be actually be interested, I've ordered the ULTIMATEADDONS Leather Envelope Style Sleeve Case for Sony PRS-300 from Amazon for my 350:

I'll let y'all know how it works and how well the 350 fits in it - should arrive within the next day or two.
That looks nice, thanks for posting this ! My 350 has not shipped yet, but as soon as I have it, I too will start looking for a cover...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
The case I have for my 600 is a Tuff luv one I ordered from Amazon - I am very pleased with it, and they have also introduced one for the 650. Given that they have them for the 300, 505 and 700 as well as the Kindle 3 I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before the 350 version comes out - hopefully a link to the 300 version is attached

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Sad...5270836&sr=8-5
That looks like a nice case. However since the 350 already has a deeply recessed screen (appx. 0.1") that kind of case might cast long shadows on the screen. Just something to consider.
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Pegster
Devourer of Books

Well, received the case today - unfortunately it's big enough that my 505 fits snugly into it! It's too bad, as it's nicely made - if it were only an inch or so shorter. However, it'd be a good alternative for the 650, if anyone prefers a wallet to a cover.

I think I'm going to have to break down and purchase one of the Sony 350 covers... bah humbug.

I may put the wallet on the marketplace here - someone might find it useful!

Edit: Just phoned my local Waterstones - they don't think they'll be stocking any covers for the 350 at all! o.O How odd - and there's a 2-4 week delivery delay when ordering online from either Waterstones or Sony UK. Looks like I'll be using the wallet for a wee while...

Edit 2: Okay, I'm an idiot.. just checked the packaging, it's the wallet for a 600!! I've contacted the seller and hopefully will get it exchanged for the correct one!

Last edited by Pegster; 09-24-2010 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot for not reading the packaging
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Pegster
Devourer of Books

Just a quick question, as I haven't seen any of the new covers in person yet - is the standard 350 cover: soft, semi-rigid or rigid (for protection of the screen)?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Pegster
Devourer of Books

Well, after getting a 2nd cover sized for a PRS-600, it appears that the amazon seller believes that the desciption "Custom made for Sony PRS-300" applies even when it's actually been custom made for the Sony PRS-600, and the 300 just happens to fit into it as well (albeit with room to spare)! Sending the 'replacement' back and keeping the original... it's better than no case. I'm contemplating spending the money on the 350 cover from Sony - I just want to see one in person first!

I will say, btw, that if you want a wallet style case for your 650, I would recommend the one that I've inadvertently ordered. It's nicely made - the only addition I would make to it would be a piece of hard card inserted in front of the screen for additional protection. (I've recommended to the seller that they have their wallet modified for this.)
Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I picked up the Sony cover w/ light for the 350 last night. So far, I love it.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Pegster
Devourer of Books

After all my drama in locating a cover, I ended up picking up a Proporta cover at Waterstones for my 350. You have to ASK to see covers at my Waterstones - nothing is displayed as (apparently) the covers are 'targets of opportunity' for theives. As a plus point, the black Proporta cover is £19.99 versus the £29 for the Sony cover.

The Proporta cover is the same size as the standard Sony cover, but it is somewhat thicker and definitely stiffer. I feel it does a much better job of protecting the screen than the Sony cover will. The inside is covered in a soft short pile velveteen. This has proved useful as I have a small piece of microfibre cloth for cleaning the screen, and it clings quite nicely to the inside of the cover (I keep it behind the reader).

The spine and clips are heavier and more sturdy than the one in the Sony case. On the downside, it's placed in the spine of the cover, rather than on the back cover. I've done some DIY and relocated the spine/clips to the back cover, and I'm much happier with it there. The reader doesn't move every time I open the cover. I'm also confident that it's going to stay where I've glued it.

Again, it doesn't have the magnets to keep it closed like the sony cover (though those magnets don't seem to work as well on the back of the reader which I found frustrating). The cover folds back easily for reading, if you like to hold your reader one handed.

All in all, however, I'm happy enough with it until something better comes along. I'll see about posting some pics when I find my camera.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
nicks99
nicks99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Has anyone purchased, or know of, a slip case for the prs-350?
nicks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
After all my drama in locating a cover, I ended up picking up a Proporta cover at Waterstones for my 350. You have to ASK to see covers at my Waterstones - nothing is displayed as (apparently) the covers are 'targets of opportunity' for theives. As a plus point, the black Proporta cover is £19.99 versus the £29 for the Sony cover.

The Proporta cover is the same size as the standard Sony cover, but it is somewhat thicker and definitely stiffer. I feel it does a much better job of protecting the screen than the Sony cover will. The inside is covered in a soft short pile velveteen. This has proved useful as I have a small piece of microfibre cloth for cleaning the screen, and it clings quite nicely to the inside of the cover (I keep it behind the reader).

The spine and clips are heavier and more sturdy than the one in the Sony case. On the downside, it's placed in the spine of the cover, rather than on the back cover. I've done some DIY and relocated the spine/clips to the back cover, and I'm much happier with it there. The reader doesn't move every time I open the cover. I'm also confident that it's going to stay where I've glued it.

Again, it doesn't have the magnets to keep it closed like the sony cover (though those magnets don't seem to work as well on the back of the reader which I found frustrating). The cover folds back easily for reading, if you like to hold your reader one handed.

All in all, however, I'm happy enough with it until something better comes along. I'll see about posting some pics when I find my camera.
Pegster,

Is this the case you purchased from Proporta?: Leather Style Case - Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350

MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
nicks99

I compared the proporta and Sony covers in store at Waterstones. The build quality of the proporta is awful, looked and felt as though it would fall apart after minimal use. The Sony is superbly made and well worth the extra ten pound.

I'd also disagree with the previous comment about protection. I feel perfectly happy chucking the reader in my rucksack and not having to worry whether it will get damaged.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
nicks99,

My biggest concern about the Sony cover is the flimsy plastic clips that hold the Reader. Apparently, over the course of many Sony Reader models, lots of users have had those clips snap off, rendering the cover unusable.

Was the Proporta cover you're referring to the same as in my photo above? Did you happen to notice whether it has a metal or plastic clip?
MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
nicks99

I'm afraid I didn't notice. I was just unimpressed with the quality of the faux leather material and how it hung loose. It just didn't look nice or look like it would last long.