Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
lit to epub conversion bug ? introduces italics & dots.

is here any known bug that casues some lit sources to glitch when converted to epub

I have seen several books where a specific word transforms into an italic abbreviation e.g. the word "idea" changes into italic "i.e." throughout

in another example the character name Edge becomes italic E.g & calibre assigns a style to the 1st letter - the E.

its like seeing a scan error but when the lit source is opened in microsoft reader it looks correct

& it's just one or two words per book + only in a few books ???

I've not done a great deal of testing - it could be happening within heuristics or some other optional feature. I tried a quick forum search to see if it was a known issue not no joy.

Last edited by cybmole; 03-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I'm not certain but I think this almost the exact same question someone else just posted in the last day or two. They were converting from text I think but the results sound exactly the same.

I think it has something to do with the new heuristics.

Check out the thread below.

- Byron

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125264
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

will do - i peeked at lit source code via S&R wizard, i see that Edge was within commas, but nothing else untoward:
<p class="MsoBodyTextIndent" style="margin-top:3.0pt;line-height:normal">“But, Edge, how will we...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I'm not certain but I think this almost the exact same question someone else just posted in the last day or two. They were converting from text I think but the results sound exactly the same.

I think it has something to do with the new heuristics.

Check out the thread below.

- Byron

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125264
yes, very similar - also one instance of ice became i.e.

I manually patched my bugs but next time I'll retry with that heuristics feature off. I am using latest 7.49 BTW - BUT = thinking more carefully the lit to epub conversion was originally done a few weeks back. It is only now that I start reading the epub & spot the problem, so maybe it is fixed already

in trying to recreate the bug I'm getting a new BIG issue though.

many lit to epub conversions in 7.49 are now looking like this
andcomebackhereafreeman,outfromundertheshadowofhis

i.e.all words are running together with no formatting & no spaces. I cannot yet spot the trigger. at first I thought it was using extra CSS but once a book has messed up it continues to mess up even with everything back to default. I evens topped & restarted calibre - but not hte whole PC , yet - may come to that though!

Last edited by cybmole; 03-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Most of my conversions are from LIT. LIT has always been one of the best and easiest formats for conversion.

The MsoBodyTextIndent class was a dead giveaway though that yours was a homemade LIT that started from a Microsoft Word file. That doesn't mean anything in and of itself and almost certainly has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. I've just noticed that I tend to have to do a lot more cleanup on any homemade LITs than I do on commercial ones I've purchased over the years.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Most of my conversions are from LIT. LIT has always been one of the best and easiest formats for conversion.

The MsoBodyTextIndent class was a dead giveaway though that yours was a homemade LIT that started from a Microsoft Word file. That doesn't mean anything in and of itself and almost certainly has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. I've just noticed that I tend to have to do a lot more cleanup on any homemade LITs than I do on commercial ones I've purchased over the years.

- Byron
yes, it had one of those made with overdrive title pages.
This eBook was created using ReaderWorks® Publisher 2.0, produced by OverDrive, Inc.
but no books are atuclaly issues in word, so it must have been scanned or converted from another source before arriving in word ?

I put the wordsallrunningtogher issue into a new thread & I think I've diagnosed it - nothing to do with lit per se.

Last edited by cybmole; 03-13-2011 at 03:30 AM.