Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
OldManKris
OldManKris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony eBook Library 3.0 for Mac No Longer Displays Its Window

I got a Sony PRS-505 reader a few weeks ago, and the Sony eBook Library software worked fine on my Mac, until today. Now, when I launch it, the menu bar is displayed but there is no application window, and the menu items don't do anything.

I've reinstalled the software, but that didn't help. I've deleted `~/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation`, but that didn't help.

I suppose I could start using Calibre exclusively, except it would make it difficult to buy books from Sony's ebookstore.

Any ideas?

Last edited by OldManKris; 10-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
OldManKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It happened to me but after a reinstall & reboot it all started working again. It didn't work until I'd rebooted though.
However, I don't use it as I prefer Calibre.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've posted this elsewhere, but maybe this needs to be in a FAQ?

When I was having problems with eBook Library, this is the procedure Sony gave me to completely scrub the software from your machine:

Try this:

Delete /Applications/eBookLibrary
Delete /Library/eBookLibrary
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/fsk
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/Marlin

Reinstall software.

If you're not used to reading *nix style file names - /Library is in your "Macintosh HD". Stuff that begins "/Users/(yourname)" is stuff that's in your home directory.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
OldManKris
OldManKris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks! Deleting those directories and re-installing fixed it.
OldManKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Glad to hear it.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
klarenos
klarenos began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Thanks! Was a little desperate but your suggestion worked perfectly well.
klarenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
wrightad4
wrightad4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Thanks very much for the help. I spent the better part of the day with Sony trying to deal with Snow Leopard and my PRS700. I'm 80% there thanks to your information!!
wrightad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
erwincoumans
erwincoumans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 300
A better solution to fix Sony Reader Library GUI issues for Mac OSX, without re-install or loosing ebooks, is to remove this file:

~/Library/Preferences/fsk/1/com.kinoma.fskin.ktStart-kBook.xml

A solution for Windows users that have a messed up GUI for Sony Reader Library software, that doesn't require re-install or losing ebooks:

Rename or delete the 'kinoma' folder.

This hidden 'kinoma' folder is located here
  • On Windows 7 look in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\kinoma
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma

Can this go into a FAQ?

Thanks, Erwin

Last edited by erwincoumans; 01-10-2010 at 05:16 PM.
erwincoumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Hmm, good catch Erwin. It does indeed work.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote