Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
De Tijd and iRex to launch digital paper delivery service

The Belgian newspaper De Tijd has partnered with iRex Technologies to offer digital newspaper content. The trial project starting March 2006 will include 200 participants who can download the content through a wireless Internet connection and read it on the forthcoming iRex iLiad e-book device. On the off-chance that you've spent the last few weeks living under a rock, let me tell you that the iLiad reader boasts an 8.1-inch E Ink display and can be used to read, well, e-books. E Ink is a thin, flexible polymer sheet that rivals real ink on paper for contrast and ease of reading. Buziaulane adds more to the story:

The newspaper is loaded into the tablet and can be displayed as a full page. With a stylo stories can be selected and zoomed-in. Pages can be turned. Here is the nice feature: the screen is only using power, when an action is taken (zoom-in or zoom-out) or a page is turned.

Related:
Sony Reader vs. iRex Iliad e-book reader
More details on the Iliad ER 0100 e-book reader
iRex new E Ink device

[via Teleread]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
It's been my dream for a long time to have daily news (paper content) automatically delivered to a dedicated e-book reader. Now, I don't speak Belgian (and I assume neither do 99 percent of you), but it's nevertheless a welcoming effort which could - if successful in the trial - easily be launched by other news agencies.

The best part: iRex could sell the reader for less by focusing on content distribution as their main revenue source.
MrSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like the New York Time has been evaluating iRex Technologies Delivery Service (IDS) as well (unless this is a mock-up):

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I am happy to say I can read Belgian perfectly fine. I am affraid that I won't be one of those 200 trial members though. I do not life there.

Am I mistaking or is the iRex 2 inches larger then the Sony reader. And....which do you prefer because of that?
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
I am happy to say I can read Belgian perfectly fine. I am affraid that I won't be one of those 200 trial members though. I do not life there.

Am I mistaking or is the iRex 2 inches larger then the Sony reader. And....which do you prefer because of that?
Jaapjan, check out this link. The iRex is indeed larger (due to its larger screen) and thicker.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Am I mistaking or is the iRex 2 inches larger then the Sony reader.
...which will make reading those image-based pdf files a lot easier
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
After seeing the sony presentation on their site, as well as all the accumulated information we have by now...what do you prefer. Or rather, which of these two devices do you expect to buy. If you had the choose. Keeping in mind form factor, expected price, capabilities and promises.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
Quote:
After seeing the sony presentation on their site, as well as all the accumulated information we have by now...what do you prefer. Or rather, which of these two devices do you expect to buy. If you had the choose. Keeping in mind form factor, expected price, capabilities and promises.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=irex
MrSaint is offline   Reply With Quote