Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Google Books Offers ePub Downloads Of Free Books

Quote:
Owners of Sony eReaders, users of the Stanza iPhone book reader, and anyone else with a device that reads the ePub format can now grab more than 1 million works from Google Books’ archives.
The upshot of this is that you should no longer need to access the Sony Store to access Google Books in EPUB format...
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/08...of-free-books/
It's strange though: I have trouble finding them: usually can find only PDF links, not EPUB links :/

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-29-2009 at 10:41 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found a working example http://books.google.com/books?id=UPA...age&q=&f=false
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard

I don't suppose anyone knows some google-fu to filter for EPUBs in Google Books, do they? filetype:epub doesn't work..
Old 08-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Thanks for the link AprilHare!
Great!!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
I don't suppose anyone knows some google-fu to filter for EPUBs in Google Books, do they? filetype:epub doesn't work..
I guess that the "advanced search" feature in Google Books should be soonly upgraded to offer a search option for ePub format. At least, this is what sounds logical.
All you can do now is search books with "full view", not specifying the format.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I guess that the "advanced search" feature in Google Books should be soonly upgraded to offer a search option for ePub format. At least, this is what sounds logical.
All you can do now is search books with "full view", not specifying the format.
Increases your odds, at any rate.. (They're not all ePubs yet!)
Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just downloaded some free Google ebooks thru the Sony eBook Library and they all saved as epub file. Wonder if you can only do it thru the eBook Library?
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I just downloaded some free Google ebooks thru the Sony eBook Library and they all saved as epub file. Wonder if you can only do it thru the eBook Library?
Previously this was true, however now you do not have to use the eBook Library software from Sony to download free ePub Google ebooks via the Sony Store, you can now also use the Google Books website directly to access them. http://books.google.com/
Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Thanks for the link! this is very nice of Google!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I sure hope someone creates a sort of an easy to use catalog of epub books from Google.
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniej View Post
I sure hope someone creates a sort of an easy to use catalog of epub books from Google.

It's a *million* books. I think 'search' is the way to go. Who has time to read a million item catalog?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Good news for me, as how I don't use the Sony Software, since I don't use Windows.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Good news for me, as how I don't use the Sony Software, since I don't use Windows.
Mac users can now use the Sony Software, if that helps you
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Mac users can now use the Sony Software, if that helps you
Nope. I use Linux.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:40 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Nope. I use Linux.
I get the distinct impression that the big players in industry believe DRM and Linux are immiscible. Hence, no ports of anything that features DRM (to my knowledge).