Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
New OpenInkpot snapshot released (now includes CoolReader)

A new OpenInkpot snapshot has been released! Coolreader has been ported to OI and is included in this snapshot.

More here.
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
Nice work! Gotta get round to trying out OI soon, tired of some of the lacks in the Hanlin firmware.

Regards
Fake
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Ssh...don't tell everyone, but we've now got a keyboard :-)

Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now - definitely makes the Hanlin the preferred hardware platform for me.

Still quite flaky when run live, how are others finding it when installed to the reader?
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
motorhead
motorhead began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook V3
Mine freezes every couple of minutes and the only way to fix it is to reinstall the firmware. It has great functions and potential, but it's pretty unstable, at least on my reader.
One thing I found very annoying is the page number/button 2 function. I can't get rid of it. The little box asking for my page pops up and that's the last thing I can do with my book before I have to reset it. If I type in a wrong page number, like if I make it too long, I can't erase it and the little box will refuse to turn to that page, so it simply stays in the middle. You can type in more numbers, you can even have plus and minus in there, but that's pretty much all you can do. And there's no way to get rid of the box, so once you get it, you pretty much have a calculator that has plus and minus, but it doesn't work.

Last edited by motorhead; 01-26-2009 at 06:57 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
bozon42
Enthusiast
bozon42 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Ssh...don't tell everyone, but we've now got a keyboard :-)

Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now - definitely makes the Hanlin the preferred hardware platform for me.

Still quite flaky when run live, how are others finding it when installed to the reader?
Hi rjh,

what do you mean by ?:
>Ssh...don't tell everyone, but we've now got a >keyboard :-)

Will I be able to connect USB keyboard to my
LbookV3? (currently with original lbook firmware)

Regards,

bozon42
bozon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
I found it to be a bit strange when run live as well, so I loaded it directly on my BEBOOK branded Hanlin V3. It worked so well, that I went back to the OpenInkPot web site and made a contribution to the development team. It is still installed, and in use several hours a day reading FB2 format ebooks.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I flashed mine and don't intend to go back the the Jinke updates.

With version 20090120 (not quite 0.2 yet) there is a keyboard for searches that works well. It has the English and the Cyrillic alphabets and (I think) some others. Don't think a USB keyboard is available and may not ever be.

The OI update seems to work well, you just need to remember what functions are mapped to which keys. I still have to keep my cheat sheet nearby for some of them.

And I love that you can delete books from the reader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozon42 View Post
Will I be able to connect USB keyboard to my
LbookV3? (currently with original lbook firmware)
USB is a master/slave system, but the reader and keyboard are both slaves. So I really doubt that you will ever be able to connect an external keyboard, but I could be wrong. I think that it would require a keyboard designed as a USB master, but all the USB keyboards designed for PC use are USB slaves.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
The live version hung a lot of times when I tested it in November. I installed the permanent firmware version then, and haven't looked back since . I upgrade as soon as a new snapshot is available, and it hasn't hung once ever. Very stable, and way better than Jinke's or Bebook's firm if you don't need DRM support (which I don't).

OI is faster, have more features, and the development is FAST. Every snapshot has a new set of featues that makes the good even better.

If someone is hesitating in using it, just install the latest snapshot. You won't be disapointed.
javimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The advantage of the live version is that you can switch back to the Hanlin firmware to use the USB connection to a PC. The latest live version froze a few times when I was testing out different ebook formats, but it seems stable in routine use (on a 1GB card). This is definitely the way to go if you want to give OI a spin on your Hanlin. Keep a paper clip handy to reboot via the reset hole on the back if necessary (the reboot will take you back to the Hanlin firmware, as will selecting reboot under OK -> scripts).

If you like it, then by all means switch to the permanent firmware and use a stand-alone card reader to get content onto your SD card.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you like it, then by all means switch to the permanent firmware and use a stand-alone card reader to get content onto your SD card.
When I tried OpenInkPot live, I found it to be rather slow and a wee bit cranky. The installed version is much nicer to work with, and has not ever crashed on me the way the Hanlin/BEBOOK firmware sometimes did.

I have not tried it yet, but you may not even need the Hanlin firmware to USB connect to the device. USB does work in OI, and you can SSH into bash on Linux via USB from the PC. So you should be able to get books from the PC that way IF ftp is available. As I said, I have not tried file transfers yet, but I do not have any current plans to go back to the Hanlin software which seems to be even more buggy than OpenInkPot. And OpenInkPot is still less than version 0.2 !!!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
When USB does work in OI, and you can SSH into bash on Linux via USB from the PC.
As you say, SSH via USB is in principle "good enough" to do file transfers as well as other things. However, it is not working for Windows PCs and it did not work for Ubuntu either when I tried this briefly (I see there are new instructions for Ubuntu, so I need to try again).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, SSH via USB is in principle "good enough" to do file transfers as well as other things. However, it is not working for Windows PCs and it did not work for Ubuntu either when I tried this briefly (I see there are new instructions for Ubuntu, so I need to try again).
I am on Windows and Debian, and as you say, it does not yet work on Windows. It does, however, work just fine on Debian at this time, so I do not think that there should be any reason that it will not work on Ubuntu now? I was able to run top on the OpenInkPot Linux system and see what processes were running, but that is all that I have really tried so far.

Good luck if you try it.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
bozon42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I flashed mine and don't intend to go back the the Jinke updates.

With version 20090120 (not quite 0.2 yet) there is a keyboard for searches that works well. It has the English and the Cyrillic alphabets and (I think) some others. Don't think a USB keyboard is available and may not ever be.

The OI update seems to work well, you just need to remember what functions are mapped to which keys. I still have to keep my cheat sheet nearby for some of them.

And I love that you can delete books from the reader.
Hi slayda,

you wrote:
>With version 20090120 (not quite 0.2 yet) there is a keyboard for searches >that works well.

Do you mean buttons (which ones?), don't you?

bozon42
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
bozon42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
USB is a master/slave system, but the reader and keyboard are both slaves. So I really doubt that you will ever be able to connect an external keyboard, but I could be wrong. I think that it would require a keyboard designed as a USB master, but all the USB keyboards designed for PC use are USB slaves.
Thanks Dave_S for the explanation.
bozon42