Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
4436time
4436time began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500/505
Yet another noob...

Hi. First time poster, long time (relatively) lurker.
4436time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since you've been lurking for a while, it may be superfluous to say "Welcome". Maybe it's more appropriate to say, "Oh! there you are!"

It's a good thing to come out of lurkdom. You know a lot more about us than we do about you, so don't be a stranger. At the very least, share with us what books you've been reading on your Sony reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
4436time

Hi Elsi, thanks for the welcome! I just completed The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough, and just started The Great Bridge by him as well. I believe both are, or could be, classified as historical novels? I finished 1776 earlier this year and enjoyed it so much that I ordered the rest of his books, which I'm hoping will keep me busy (relaxing) through the winter months.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi 4436time and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forum
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4436time View Post
Hi Elsi, thanks for the welcome! I just completed The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough, and just started The Great Bridge by him as well. I believe both are, or could be, classified as historical novels? I finished 1776 earlier this year and enjoyed it so much that I ordered the rest of his books, which I'm hoping will keep me busy (relaxing) through the winter months.
I've seen 1776 around, but have not read it yet. I guess you'd recommend it. I just recently started reading historical fiction. Some of the books I've enjoyed (though I don't know if they're available in electronic editions) Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, The Ruby Ring by Diane Haeger, The Changeling by Kate Horsley, The Right Hand of Amon by Lauren Haney, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Daughter of the Sun by Barbara Wood, The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherford, and Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth by by Naguib Mahfouz.

OK -- I'm off to research David McCullough.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I've seen 1776 around, but have not read it yet. I guess you'd recommend it. I just recently started reading historical fiction. Some of the books I've enjoyed (though I don't know if they're available in electronic editions) Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, The Ruby Ring by Diane Haeger, The Changeling by Kate Horsley, The Right Hand of Amon by Lauren Haney, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Daughter of the Sun by Barbara Wood, The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherford, and Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth by by Naguib Mahfouz.

OK -- I'm off to research David McCullough.
Two more historical:
Devil in the White City by Erik Larssen (sp? - about the Chicago World's Fair and one nasty serial killer)
The Professor and the Madman by SImon Winchester (about the making of the Oxford English dictionary and, well, a madman. I don't know a single person who read this and didn't completely love it)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
4436time

Thanks, all, for the suggestions (and welcomes), I will check them out. Anyone familiar with Preston & Child (Riptide, Thunderhead, The Ice Limit, and Mount Dragon) or Vincent Bugliosi (And the Sea Will Tell - not sure if this is in eformat) or Caleb Carr (The Alienist)? Not too bad.

On another note, I just picked up a new 505. Very nice!