Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can fonts be changed after a root?

If I root firmware 1.2.1 on a nook STR, can I replace some of the fonts in the Aa menu?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
If you're looking to change the fonts on the stock Reader's menu you'd have to open up and muck with the Reader app (Reader.apk) itself. If you can modify the Reader.apk it's possible to install the modified version using SDcard-based ClockWorkMod recovery without rooting the Nook.

Alternatively, you can embed or link alternative fonts to the ebooks, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178623. I used to do this for awhile (to make use of fonts that can display my native language character set) using a Calibre plugin http://phanquochuy.me/?p=114 (but it got old quite fast so I simply just switched from the stock Reader to Mantano Reader).

If you're looking to use a different font so as to display some international language character sets, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092516 for some info/pointers. FWIW, the NST rooting tool Nook Manager (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178623) replaces the DroidSansFallback font with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters.

Last edited by livramax; 05-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So there is no font directory that holds the fonts that I can just replace even if I use the same filenames for the font I want in place of one I don't want?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
The fonts are located in the /system/fonts directory, you can try to insert or swap in your font and see if the Reader would bite.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I would imagine you can compile your ebooks in calibre to access custom fonts you put on the ereader. I do this with my Sony. I've never tried on the Nook because it comes stock with the superlative Caecilia.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
superlative Caecilia.
I have to disagree. I find that one heck of a nasty looking font. It's just not nice to use to read with.