Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #646
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@knc1: Maybe. Maybe they took an actual device screenshot and "built it" into a picture of the device. Anyway, I'm still positive that this is a real screenshot. Why? just compare the cover view on the image to the ones that the coverview patch produces.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #647
sandman7920
sandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura aboutsandman7920 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have interest to test this patch method on K4NT.
If i copy jbpatch.jar to /opt/amazon/ebook/lib and add -istart jbpatch.jar in init.xarg is there a risk for brick.
I accept any advices.

P.S.
Sorry for my English.
sandman7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #648
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman7920 View Post
I have interest to test this patch method on K4NT.
If i copy jbpatch.jar to /opt/amazon/ebook/lib and add -istart jbpatch.jar in init.xarg is there a risk for brick.
Most definitely: yes!

If you are trying to port this to a different device, then yes, you should be prepared for the entire thing horribly failing, having to debrick the device, having to carefully monitor log files etc.

However, if you do know how to debrick the device, then all it needs (at least initially) is a little patience and a bit of fiddling around to find out whether the same method as on the K5 works for bootstrapping, or which other method can be used.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #649
kindleloh
kindleloh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi ixtab,

thank you for the update. I have checked it but it has no effect regarding the bug. If I swipe to the next chapter then it works, the progress bar states 0%. If I then go a page back and for I remain on the first page of the new chapter, but the progress bar states now 100%. May be the solution is to set the progress bar to the next chapter with 0% even when the current position is 5 Positions before the next chapter. May be the chapter index is not as accurately as aspected.
kindleloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #650
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleloh View Post
Hi ixtab,

thank you for the update. I have checked it but it has no effect regarding the bug. If I swipe to the next chapter then it works, the progress bar states 0%. If I then go a page back and for I remain on the first page of the new chapter, but the progress bar states now 100%. May be the solution is to set the progress bar to the next chapter with 0% even when the current position is 5 Positions before the next chapter. May be the chapter index is not as accurately as aspected.
Hmm... can't reproduce (and just to make sure, please double-check that the patch version is indeed 2012-09-05.) I have tried with several books now. For instance, "Krieg und Frieden" contains chapters which start on page boundaries, and it works exactly as expected. Can you give an example of a free book from Amazon where it behaves erratically?
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #651
kindleloh

Hi ixtab,

you are right, I have checked with different books and found the described behavior only on books with a TOC created with means of calibre. So I will check with the way I insert TOCs into books.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #652
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Hi ixtab,

you are right, I have checked with different books and found the described behavior only on books with a TOC created with means of calibre. So I will check with the way I insert TOCs into books.
Even so... if you can, please let me try to reproduce it. If you have a free book where this is happening, please attach it here and give exact steps to reproduce (preferred). Otherwise, you can also send me a PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #653
kindleloh

Hi ixtab,

I have append here a simple ebook from Wikipedia. Book created in odt format and then converted to mobi via calibre.
If you open the book and goto a chapter (e.g. Prelude) then you see a 0% bar. Go one page back (you get about 40%) and go one page forwards so you are at the begin of the chapter Prelude. Now the progress bar is not set to 0% instead it is set to 100%. The same occurs with when you normally read a book and go only forward. The first page in a chapter is always set to 100%.

Thank you very much for your investigation.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Testbook - Unbekannt.mobi (1.23 MB, 180 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #654
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Hi ixtab,

I have append here a simple ebook from Wikipedia. Book created in odt format and then converted to mobi via calibre.
If you open the book and goto a chapter (e.g. Prelude) then you see a 0% bar. Go one page back (you get about 40%) and go one page forwards so you are at the begin of the chapter Prelude. Now the progress bar is not set to 0% instead it is set to 100%. The same occurs with when you normally read a book and go only forward. The first page in a chapter is always set to 100%.

Thank you very much for your investigation.
Ok, so I tried it with the book that you attached and a "debug" version of the patch. Here is the (commented) output:
Code:
# ctx means "context", i.e. the positions which are used for determining the
# start and end positions for the chapter; they are taken straight from the
# book's TOC; the numbers are in the internal format of the TOC.
# Unless ctxEnd == bookEnd, the following invariant always holds:
# ctxStart <= position < ctxEnd
# (if and only if position == bookEnd, the "<" becomes a "<=")

# 0. Open book, goto beginning, turn on chapter progress bar:
position: 0
ctx start: 0
ctx end: 2924
# 1. Goto "Prelude" chapter
position: 8282
ctx start: 8254
ctx end: 17950
# 2. Page back
position: 5968
ctx start: 2924
ctx end: 8254
# 3. Page forward
position: 8238
ctx start: 2924
ctx end: 8254
# 4. Goto "Prelude" chapter again
# 5. Page forward
position: 10225
# 6. Page back
So the code of the patch works absolutely correctly, but something else obviously doesn't. Note how the current position and the context start are not the same in step 2. Also note that if you perform the abovementioned steps, step 3. actually puts the "Prelude" heading on the second line, while step 4. will put it back on the first line. Finally, paging back and forth will not always lead to the exact same position as where you started from (not even with all Amazon books: "Huckleberry Finns Abenteuer und Fahrten" has occasionally - but interestingly, not always - exposed the same behavior).

This is either a bug in the reader software, or a bug in the book's format, or a combination of both. In any case, it's not a bug in the progress bar patch, and I can't do anything about it. A position before the start of a chapter is a position in the previous chapter, period. In other words: we are going to have to live with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #655
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, Time To Read feature advertised for Kindle Paperwhite is already implemented (or, at least, partially implemented) in current Kindle Touch firmware. Though it's called Reading Timer. It's implemented as reader plugin, located at /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReadingTimer.jar and it's entry is presented (but commented) in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml.

Just thought it's worth mentioning here just as hidden Cover View mode.

(Speaking cynically, with all these implemented but disabled features Kindle Touch is looked like hardware platform for beta-testing of Kindle Paperwhite firmware).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #656
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
(Speaking cynically, with all these implemented but disabled features Kindle Touch is looked like hardware platform for beta-testing of Kindle Paperwhite firmware).
Well, let's hope so... Maybe that means it won't be that difficult to implement JB Patch for the PW.

I'm looking forward to the PW but *not* to going back to pre-JB Patch wonky 'justification' and lack of hyphenation (screenshot from PW commercial attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW justification.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	92129  
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #657
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
BTW, Time To Read feature advertised for Kindle Paperwhite is already implemented (or, at least, partially implemented) in current Kindle Touch firmware. Though it's called Reading Timer. It's implemented as reader plugin, located at /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReadingTimer.jar and it's entry is presented (but commented) in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/reader_plugins.xml.

Just thought it's worth mentioning here just as hidden Cover View mode.

oh nice! so how tough might it be to enable that feature? I'm not a dev/hacker, so I have no clue.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #658
elbunuelo
elbunuelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touchh
Hi Ixtab. I've been trying to install JBpatcher but I'm stuck at the installation screen showing "invalid init.xargs" and then error 006.

I've read that this is due to a tampered init.xargs file. I honestly don't remember editing that file in any way, but I may have done it.

Here's the content of my init.xargs file

-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.basedir=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.jars=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.enabled=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.level=4
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.debug.classloading=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.storage=/var/local/java
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.strictStartup=true
-Dcom.amazon.kindle.util.log.logLevel=info

-istart portability-impl.jar
-istart kaf.jar
-istart KindletSystemPlugins-2.0.jar
-istart AudibleHandler.jar
-istart ACXToDoHandler.jar

Thanks for your help
elbunuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #659
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbunuelo View Post
Hi Ixtab. I've been trying to install JBpatcher but I'm stuck at the installation screen showing "invalid init.xargs" and then error 006.

I've read that this is due to a tampered init.xargs file. I honestly don't remember editing that file in any way, but I may have done it.

Here's the content of my init.xargs file

-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.basedir=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.jars=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.enabled=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.level=4
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.debug.classloading=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.storage=/var/local/java
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.strictStartup=true
-Dcom.amazon.kindle.util.log.logLevel=info

-istart portability-impl.jar
-istart kaf.jar
-istart KindletSystemPlugins-2.0.jar
-istart AudibleHandler.jar
-istart ACXToDoHandler.jar

Thanks for your help
Are you sure that you have Firmware 5.1.x installed? This looks like a 5.0.x one. If so, you have to upgrade your firmware first, because JBPatch doesn't do anything useful on FW 5.0.x anyway.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #660
elbunuelo
elbunuelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touchh
That should have been the first thing to check out. I'm sorry, after the update it worked perfectly.

Thanks
elbunuelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks