Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:21 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It didn't exactly sound enthusiastic. Their e-book "expert was presented, right off the bat, with a sort of manic-eyed intensity that instantly put me right off. He didn't look like that throughout the rest of the segment, but he looked crazy right out of the box. What kind of unbiased presentation is that?

And the other clip that was linked to from the same page... "End of the book?"... was just as bad: Comparing print to e-book readers and giving the same-old same-old responses (it doesn't smell like a book, you can't get it wet, etc)... with one exception. In considering the e-book for commuters, he lamented that one might get mugged for it!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Yes, Harry a translation would be nice
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Yes, Harry a translation would be nice
"tosser" = a person who habitually engages in, er, self-abuse.
"knackers" = testicles.

Hope that helps .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Oh I see.

According to my Chambers, the God of dictionaries, a "tosser" is "an unpleasant or despicable person".
You're right about the other word though.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
I think you're failing to understand the point of this piece. It's really an exploration of how many books Simon needs to carry around... which turns out to be "one, maybe two." This brings up a lot of rather complex questions which I hope will be addressed in later programs: When does he need to carry around two? And is one of them a dictionary?

I'm also looking forward to his comparative review of mobile phones in which he will reveal how many people he needs to speak to daily. Just one, maybe two? And his rundown on GPS devices, in which he confesses that four directions seem far too many; he can do very well with just North and... maaaybe West.
Now THAT'S a funny comment!!

All in all, it did seem like a fluff piece, my comments are as follows:

1. Pbooks do make lovely "decor" .... and ebooks will never replace the look of a few nicely bound pbooks sitting on a shelf ... generally hard back and leather bound.

2. Ebooks do not mean the "death" of pbooks. There will be a market for pbooks for a long (long) time. Color TV did not mean the instant "death" of Black and White TV, however, it is difficult to find B&W TVs these days because, the people who really like to watch TV will get color and the stores don't offer much else. In time, the people who really love to read will climb on the ebook wagon because, like me, they never want to be without something to read. And, as with Color TV, those that don't much care to watch TV, but want to be seen as being on the bleeding edge, will buy the latest and greatest Color TV, and non-readers who just want to impress someone will get whatever ebook reader they think will serve to impress.

3. Of COURSE they don't have the same "feel" ... they are a completely different technology, you bloody moron!! So, while I agree with that statement, I think it's stupid.

4. Librarians are never going to be "out of a job" .... not while their are rare editions of books or documents to preserve, and not as long as students need some help in doing research (reference librarians are my heroes). However, they may be working with new technology before very long.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
"tosser" = a person who habitually engages in, er, self-abuse.
"knackers" = testicles.

Hope that helps .
Thanks Harry!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #23
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It didn't exactly sound enthusiastic. Their e-book "expert was presented, right off the bat, with a sort of manic-eyed intensity that instantly put me right off. ..

I quite like Simon Gompertz myself, I don't think he was claiming any expert e-book knowledge (apart from his own opinion) - and he doesn't take himself too seriously.
But, to put the clip in context, it was from a programme called 'Working Lunch' which is about economic affairs; Gompertz is a regular presenter on it (so most viewers would know he was no expert).
It's not a tech show, or a book show - it just looks at stuff from an economics viewpoint.
I didn't think the piece was antagonistic - the devices were called 'slick', someone said they'd be on a lot of Xmas lists, Gompertz said he'd like to own one himself etc. The only bit that bugged me was the guy who said you wouldn't need the lights on to read it .
Overall, for what it was intended to be, I thought it was ok.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #24
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Pbooks do make lovely "decor" .... and ebooks will never replace the look of a few nicely bound pbooks sitting on a shelf ... generally hard back and leather bound.
I rather like the look on my library shelves of my growing collection of electronic devices (active and inactive) used for reading ebooks.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A few months ago I was at the National Liberal Club in London for a family do, and got a chance to see around the place.

http://www.nlc.org.uk/

They have a magnificent reading room, books floor to ceiling. Except that they're not -- books, that is. The books used to be there, but looking after them became too hard. I think they're at the British Library now. In their place are painted replicas of all the spines... books as decoration indeed.

Paul

Quote:
1. Pbooks do make lovely "decor" .... and ebooks will never replace the look of a few nicely bound pbooks sitting on a shelf ... generally hard back and leather bound.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
A bunch of book experts whose only remarks were about frivolous aspects. Very nice. Those review units should had been sent to me, for a better use.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #27
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I quite like Simon Gompertz myself, I don't think he was claiming any expert e-book knowledge (apart from his own opinion) - and he doesn't take himself too seriously.
But, to put the clip in context, it was from a programme called 'Working Lunch' which is about economic affairs; Gompertz is a regular presenter on it (so most viewers would know he was no expert).
It's not a tech show, or a book show - it just looks at stuff from an economics viewpoint.
I didn't think the piece was antagonistic - the devices were called 'slick', someone said they'd be on a lot of Xmas lists, Gompertz said he'd like to own one himself etc. The only bit that bugged me was the guy who said you wouldn't need the lights on to read it .
Overall, for what it was intended to be, I thought it was ok.
I don't think it was Simon he was talking about .... it was the last of the three "panelists." If you watch the intro, the third guy introduced really does look a bit wild eyed and manic.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A few months ago I was at the National Liberal Club in London for a family do, and got a chance to see around the place.

http://www.nlc.org.uk/

They have a magnificent reading room, books floor to ceiling. Except that they're not -- books, that is. The books used to be there, but looking after them became too hard. I think they're at the British Library now. In their place are painted replicas of all the spines... books as decoration indeed.

Paul
Took the virtual tour ... very posh sort of place. Now, I wonder why they would have a room called a "reading room" if there aren't any books in it?? I like the idea of faking all the rare and old book spines, but maybe they should consider changing the name of the room to the BYOB (as in Bring Your Own Books) Reading Room.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
T I like the idea of faking all the rare and old book spines,
Isn't that a copyright violation...
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't that a copyright violation...
Nah .... highly unlikely. But it's an interesting idea, in a weird anal-retentive sort of way.