Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have made the changes to calibre to make custom columns that "use checkmarks" put text at the left, as shown in image 2 of post 7.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
Wow. So does that mean that the next update of calibre will fix this column for me? Thank you so much Chaley. Obviously you are part of the calibre team, so I want to tell you how much I love Calibre and all of its plug ins. It, as much as the books it keeps organized for me, has become almost a hobby.

Hey since I seem to be shoot for the moon here (I was happy several posts back when I managed to get a ! in the column), I would love a new Column Type call it Symbols. You could put a $ (for a book to buy), a little calendar page (that could be used for books coming soon), a fancy N (for new books that haven't had metadata update yet), of course my ! and the check mark and x. People could use them for what ever they wanted. I'm sure others would have a few ideas for symbols. It is something very visual for people like me.

Thanks again chaley and everyone.
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
Wow. So does that mean that the next update of calibre will fix this column for me?
Yes.
Quote:
Thank you so much Chaley. Obviously you are part of the calibre team, so I want to tell you how much I love Calibre and all of its plug ins. It, as much as the books it keeps organized for me, has become almost a hobby.
You are very welcome.
Quote:
Hey since I seem to be shoot for the moon here (I was happy several posts back when I managed to get a ! in the column), I would love a new Column Type call it Symbols. You could put a $ (for a book to buy), a little calendar page (that could be used for books coming soon), a fancy N (for new books that haven't had metadata update yet), of course my ! and the check mark and x. People could use them for what ever they wanted. I'm sure others would have a few ideas for symbols. It is something very visual for people like me.
You can do something close to this already. Most of the fonts used by calibre support the symbol glyphs. If you use windows, take a look at start menu -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> character map. You can pick a character that visually "does it" for you, copy it, then paste it into the custom column definition where you put the exclamation point. Put in as many different symbols as you wish, separated by commas (which of course means that you can't use a comma as a symbol). On the Mac (apparently) you can use something called "Character Palette".
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Actually I did exactly that, I used the character map. It works but I found 2 things, first most of fonts that have the interesting glyphs aren't supported by Calibre and second that some thing like any letter or a ! come out like they would if you typed it not like it would copying it from cooper black.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have an idea that might work out here. It would also satisfy some long-running enhancement requests.

I think I can make calibre use a custom icon image for specific values in the column, probably by using the column's coloring specification. If the color is "something.png" (but without the quotes) instead of a color name, then when calibre sees the corresponding value it would use the image instead of the value.

You would put the file "something.png" into yourCalibreConfigFolder/resources/images, the same place that custom toolbar icons go. If calibre cannot find the image then it would display the text.

These custom icons would be displayed only on calibre's spreadsheet. They would not be displayed in the content server, book details, or other places that display values.

Is this a change that would interest people?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I have an idea that might work out here. It would also satisfy some long-running enhancement requests.

I think I can make calibre use a custom icon image for specific values in the column, probably by using the column's coloring specification. If the color is "something.png" (but without the quotes) instead of a color name, then when calibre sees the corresponding value it would use the image instead of the value.

You would put the file "something.png" into yourCalibreConfigFolder/resources/images, the same place that custom toolbar icons go. If calibre cannot find the image then it would display the text.

These custom icons would be displayed only on calibre's spreadsheet. They would not be displayed in the content server, book details, or other places that display values.

Is this a change that would interest people?
I like it. As I read this thread, I was thinking that a nice exclamation mark icon would look good instead of the character. And I like the way you are doing it. Really, all you are doing is expanding the type of object being named.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I would also be interested in an icon feature. PNG is scalable so that gets around potential sizing issues.

As a corollary, would it be possible to set a custom font for a column? Basically to get around the issue Terisea noted such as using Wingdings and other symbolic/non-textual fonts to place "characters" which actually displays a symbol. This would allow artistically challenged users to make use of nice symbolic fonts.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: If you want to implement this, use the same mechanism as that used for user category custom icons and add a control to the coloring dialog to allwo the user to select images.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
tarisea
Zealot

I think I get what you are getting at. And that sounds great! How would you get it into a column?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think I get what you are getting at. And that sounds great! How would you get it into a column?
That is a good question. I don't know yet. In fact, I don't know if I am going to try this.

In the post before yours, Kovid is in effect suggesting that the existing color rules (preferences -> look and feel -> column coloring) be extended to handle this case. The current rules say "Set the *color* of column X to [color chooser box]". One way to extend it is to have it say something like "Set the [color|icon] of column x to [chooser]". If the user chooses "color", then the existing color chooser box would show. If the user chooses "icon" then a file chooser box would show. The condition tests would remain the same.

There is complexity here, specifically making sure that everything that works today continues to work while allowing the new specifications, and that performance is acceptable. I need to think about how, or even whether, to do go forward.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
tarisea
Zealot

We could always go back to my suggestion which would be nice and easy. Create a new column type called Icons and put a bunch in there that the user can use or not.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We could always go back to my suggestion which would be nice and easy. Create a new column type called Icons and put a bunch in there that the user can use or not.
Actually, in terms of development that would be much harder for me. New data types affect huge swaths of calibre, and have the potential to break many things.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
tarisea
Zealot

oh. By the way I downloaded the new version of Calibre and now my new column has all the icons lined up. Thank you so much. I am very happy with this.

In terms of future development a way to add more icons in a more robust way would be nice. There are people like me who are very visual. I have no idea how the pic was added but I would show you if I could how I now have check marks for those I have read and x for those I won't, @ sign for my reading list and ! for coming soon. And again the only thing you would notice, now that the column lines up, is that the ! and @ are not as strong as the X and check.

I don't know what the answer is, I'm not a programer, maybe Sabardeyn was on to something with creating a column that allows custom fonts like WingDings and WebDings.

But Kovids answer interests me the most. The man amazes me with this program. I actually just discovered the Genre plugin and its great. I've gone from three libraries to one and changing the icons is very visual I like it.

Let me know if I can help. Testing or whatever. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
teejcee
Enthusiast
teejcee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G & Paperwhite
Quote:
I actually just discovered the Genre plugin and its great. I've gone from three libraries to one and changing the icons is very visual I like it.
The prospect on one library really interests me. I've currently got 7.

Could you steer me in the direction of this Genre plugin please.

I've looked for it but maybe I'm not seeing the forest for the trees.

Cheers...
teejcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejcee View Post
The prospect on one library really interests me. I've currently got 7.
Personally I use tags and saved searches (right of the search bar) and the Restrict to feature (left of the search bar) to create multiple virtual libraries within one large library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejcee View Post
Could you steer me in the direction of this Genre plugin please.

I've looked for it but maybe I'm not seeing the forest for the trees.
There isn't a "Genre" plugin so I'll be interested in which plugin is actually being referred to.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2013 at 12:19 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote