Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #61
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have a verso cliplight on my K4 and the only reason I have one is I bought one for my husband's birthday and I wanted one so badly myself, I almost stole his. It's awesome.

(edit: this is different than the other verso brand light which was linked earlier)

Last edited by spindlegirl; 10-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
After all the good stuff I've heard on the K4B (mostly from you, Blossom), I really wish they would make a K5B or KTB or whatever you would call a second generation Kindle Touch. If I could get the K4B as a touch, I would be happy.
Well I am just trying to make up for all the complaining I did in this thread last year and other threads about my K4S.

I am so happy about my K4B. I just want others to know it's a great reader and well worth the price. Last year models has issues this years seems to be near perfect. I too wish they would of made a touch version but after the PW fiasco I see it coming back next year.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #63
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Almost 4 years ago, I started using the Mighty Bright Xtraflex 2 on my 1st kindle and on books. I've tried several others, including the kandle (when there was a 2-for sale), the Verso-like light that Barnes & Noble sells, and I have the lighted case for my K4 (2011 kindle). I keep going back to the MB Xtraflex 2, even though I have to replace the 3 batteries every 2-3 weeks. For me it gives the most even light (and the most light).

The K4 Amazon lighted case is OK, but it's not as even as the MB and doesn't give as much light. If I'm reading and the kindle goes just a little forward, the light shines in my eyes. I still use it occasionally.

I bought a 25-pack of flat batteries for the Kandle, but after I didn't use it for a while and went back to it (a year after purchase), the bulbs died, so I've given up on those two kandles.

The B&N (Verso?) light is fine but doesn't give as much light as the MB. I bought it because I thought I could take it out with me (the MB turns itself on in my bag), but it also turns itself on in my bag.

I keep going back to the MB Xtraflex 2. It's fine for at-home reading, but I don't take it out. It would be nice to have a very satisfactory built-in light. I didn't care much for the Nook with Glowlight that I tried in a store.

I was looking forward to the KPW for the light and other features (although I like page-turn buttons), but I'm going to wait and see if the problems are fixed. Might buy one after the new year or wait for the next generation. Think I'm going to buy the K4B, based on Blossom's and other recommendations on these forums. I'm doing fine with my K4(S) for now.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #64
HaReL
HaReL began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NT
Somebody tried the cheaper Kindle 4 Light Covers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Case...-/180941748791
it's only 22$ (with shipping).

I thought about buying one, but I'm not sure about the quailty...
HaReL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #65
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am really impressed by the SONY PRS T2. Frankly, lights aside, that has the BEST screen. The T1 was comparable to the KT, but the T2 made a significant leap. I am sticking with the PW for the moment, but the T2 is the only reader out there that I find really tempting.
With the cover with built-in-light, it's a very pleasant reading experience.
I agree I like the Sony quite a bit, I do wish they went to a Higher Res screen, but its still the best of the 800x600 res screens.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #66
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am really impressed by the SONY PRS T2. Frankly, lights aside, that has the BEST screen. The T1 was comparable to the KT, but the T2 made a significant leap. I am sticking with the PW for the moment, but the T2 is the only reader out there that I find really tempting.
With the cover with built-in-light, it's a very pleasant reading experience.

I have to agree. I recently got to see a real t2 in person when my father in law unwrapped his christmas gift (He had pre-loaded it with his own e-pubs before giving it to his wife to wrap 'officially'). Not in "demo mode" either but the real deal. Having recently given my t1 to my daughter I told my father-in-law that now I have e-reader envy.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #67
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Some people are talking about tablet alternatives (specifically the Fire HD), just thought I'd throw the iPad Mini in the mix. I know it hasn't been announced officially yet, but pretty sure it will launch pretty soon (based on aggregated rumors and image leaks). I already own an iPad and an iPhone, and since I really need e-ink for intense reading, the 'mini' form factor is kind of pointless for me.

But if you *can* tolerate an LED e-reader, it may be worth holding off a few weeks more for the iPad Mini announcement at least. It's possible it'll be priced competitively, as I assume the Kindle Fire market is their target.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Some people are talking about tablet alternatives (specifically the Fire HD), just thought I'd throw the iPad Mini in the mix. I know it hasn't been announced officially yet, but pretty sure it will launch pretty soon (based on aggregated rumors and image leaks). I already own an iPad and an iPhone, and since I really need e-ink for intense reading, the 'mini' form factor is kind of pointless for me.

But if you *can* tolerate an LED e-reader, it may be worth holding off a few weeks more for the iPad Mini announcement at least. It's possible it'll be priced competitively, as I assume the Kindle Fire market is their target.
Yeah I've thought about that as I have the iPad 3 and the iPod touch 4G. But this year they finally updated the iPod touch and gave it a slightly bigger screen but upped the intro price from $200 to $300! I'm afraid that if they want $300 for a small 4" screen they are going to want at least $400 for a mini. I've also heard the mini might be 8" instead of 7", which would make it a tad bigger than I would want for a reader. But I will definitely keep up with the news and see what Apple does actually release and how much they want for it.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #69
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yeah I've thought about that as I have the iPad 3 and the iPod touch 4G. But this year they finally updated the iPod touch and gave it a slightly bigger screen but upped the intro price from $200 to $300! I'm afraid that if they want $300 for a small 4" screen they are going to want at least $400 for a mini. I've also heard the mini might be 8" instead of 7", which would make it a tad bigger than I would want for a reader. But I will definitely keep up with the news and see what Apple does actually release and how much they want for it.
I'll be personally surprised (and call it a fail on Apple's part) if they break the $300 price point, at least at entry. But yeah, I keep seeing 7.85" at the leaked size spec.

Today's rumor-mongering:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...ssory-displays
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #70
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Double post

Last edited by xendula; 10-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #71
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What's the iPod touch 4G, the iPhone 4? Edited to say: ooooh, 4th generation! Duh!

I preordered the new iPod touch, and, believe me, I desperately looked for PMP alternatives, but Apple has crushed the competition a while back and only a few lone contenders are hanging on.
At $300 it's more expensive than my Nexus 7 tablet, so I am paying more for portability. Even if the iPad mini came at that same price point, the screen resolution is said to be rather low, so it may be the same as the iPod's. So, I think that they'll figure out a way to make it more interesting, like super 4G prepaid rates or something. We'll see...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #72
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What's the iPod touch 4G, the iPhone 4? Edited to say: ooooh, 4th generation! Duh!

I preordered the new iPod touch, and, believe me, I desperately looked for PMP alternatives, but Apple has crushed the competition a while back and only a few lone contenders are hanging on.
At $300 it's more expensive than my Nexus 7 tablet, so I am paying more for portability. Even if the iPad mini came at that same price point, the screen resolution is said to be rather low, so it may be the same as the iPod's. So, I think that they'll figure out a way to make it more interesting, like super 4G prepaid rates or something. We'll see...
I like my 4th gen, kind of small for much reading but it works. My only complaint is the short battery life of usually about 4 hours or less of reading time.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #73
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I've tried the Mighty Brite gooseneck-style light, and I found it way too heavy and unwieldy (mine took three batteries, so that didn't help with the weight. maybe there is a better one?).
I have quite a collection of book reading lights. I used to buy them like new bookmarks. Of the MightBright collection, I have the XtraFlex2, the Classic, the PocketFlex and the TravelFlex. I like the color temp on the Classic best. It has a tiny incandescent bulb, but uses four batteries and is quite clunky. The XtraFlex2 is just too heavy. I don't like that one for anything portable. I keep it clipped onto the reading rack on my StairMaster. The PocketFlex is okay, but the bulb isn't shaded from my eyes sufficiently, and it's good to have as an extra. My favorite is the TravelFlex. I didn't think I would like the design but because I often read in landscape mode, it worked perfectly with my Sony readers. If you clip it onto the spine of the cover, then turn the reader to landscape mode, the battery case of the TravelFlex rests on top of my index finger making it so I don't have to grip the book, because it's perfectly balanced just resting on my hand.

It's a little hard to explain, but of my book reading lights, the TravelFlex is definitely my favorite, even for regular books.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post

It's a little hard to explain, but of my book reading lights, the TravelFlex is definitely my favorite, even for regular books.
Yes I love mine! I have two Mighty Brights The Travel Flex is the one I used the most. I had it now 3 years and it's still going strong. I use it nightly not always reading but to see around my side of the room. The goose neck still works fine. I paid $12 at B&N for it.

I clip mine to the spine of the case. I read in portrait.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #75
Trauma Doll
Addict

I'm getting pretty close to going back to my KK and getting this case:

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Eco-Vu...bxgy_ac_text_y

(I got one of the Marwares for my PW and I really like it (it will go to SO for his PW if I return mine). My current KK case is a cheapo I got on some deals site. It fits but it's nothing special.

...and this light (although in reality I probably won't get the clashy shade of purple, maybe silver or black):

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...rds=travelflex

(You guys have got me pretty sold on that light and I could use my pile of rechargeable AAAs.)