Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Not the ability to transcribe like a Windows device, but somewhere to capture a thought, a quick shopping list, a name and phone number, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Oh how I miss my Palm PDAs!

Last edited by eSheri; 10-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I expect the Kindle Fire to be very useable for that sort of thing. You can take notes on the Kindle Keyboard, but it's a laborious process. I know some of the other e-ink readers have good note taking capabilities, but I'm not really familiar with them.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I expect the Kindle Fire to be very useable for that sort of thing. You can take notes on the Kindle Keyboard, but it's a laborious process. I know some of the other e-ink readers have good note taking capabilities, but I'm not really familiar with them.
Sounds like the OP is referring to the use of a stylus for note taking.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
An iPod Touch has various apps available (like DocumentsToGo) where you can create documents to save notes, etc. That's what I use now, instead of my dead, beloved Sony Clie PDA. I have an iPad, too, but it's too large to carry around everywhere. If you have a smartphone, most have apps like that available.

I was bemoaning the lack of Graffiti for writing notes just the other day - it seemed to be faster, to me, than using the virtual keyboard.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC flyer was made with writing and note taking in mind http://www.htc.com/www/tablets/htc-flyer/ if 7 inches is too small htc is releasing a 10 inch version soon called htc jet stream here is the linky for the at&t version i dont know when the wifi version is released http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=UBkVJqL6GDR
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
JoeZell
Earl of Efflorescence
JoeZell began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
What about an Entourage eDGe? Both screens can be written on, and as it's android, there's probably a note taking app. If I'm not mistaken, it comes with a document writer on it, so yeah.
JoeZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys! The Flyer looks like it may be the one!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Thanks guys! The Flyer looks like it may be the one!
i personaly REALY like the htc flyer but cant justify getting a new $500 Motorola Electrify smart phone and an HTC flyer while i still have a samsung galaxy pad... but im working on my wife to let me get one on my phone plan with us cellular... they have the HTC flyer 3g but i have to wait till january for my contract to be up on the galaxy pad ...at that time all bets are off and <cross my toes> by then HTC will have upgraded that fabulous device with honeycomb!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Not the ability to transcribe like a Windows device, but somewhere to capture a thought, a quick shopping list, a name and phone number, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Just so you know; you can install Palm style Grafitti on pretty much any Andriod device. It's a keyboard replacement(input method), and works in any app you can enter text in. Also, Diopen is a handwriting recongition input method that works the same way.

I'm an exPalm user as well.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I was going to suggest the Pocket eDGe but I see JoeZell beat me to it!

The 7" eDGe is a bit big and clunky, but I carry it in my purse (it replaced my PDA). It has my shopping list on the Android tablet side (where I have Graffiti installed) and I take handwritten notes on the e-ink side while I'm out and about. The notes can be saved as pdfs and emailed. I also have my books with me for when I'm waiting in line.

Forgot to mention: enTourage is out of business.

Last edited by Filark; 10-29-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
eSheri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Just so you know; you can install Palm style Grafitti on pretty much any Andriod device. It's a keyboard replacement(input method), and works in any app you can enter text in. Also, Diopen is a handwriting recongition input method that works the same way.
I'm an exPalm user as well.
Oh really?? I had Diopen on my pocket pc years ago and loved it; thanks for the info!
@Filark, I will take a look.. Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
i personaly REALY like the htc flyer but cant justify getting a new $500 Motorola Electrify smart phone and an HTC flyer while i still have a samsung galaxy pad... but im working on my wife to let me get one on my phone plan with us cellular... they have the HTC flyer 3g but i have to wait till january for my contract to be up on the galaxy pad ...at that time all bets are off and <cross my toes> by then HTC will have upgraded that fabulous device with honeycomb!
Off topic I know, but will you share why you like HTC more than the Samsung? I haven't seen both side by side, so I'm not really sure what one would have vs the other. Curse you short term memory loss! <shakes fist at small baby> (i need more sleep before I can have memory again) Thank you!
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Oh, and there's a few handwriting apps out there, I got graffiti pro when it was free on amazon, and handrite which is sort of a drawing thing but you can write in it and i *think* could type into the drawing or note. I have a few hand writing or art apps that I'm going through trying to figure them all out. This is all my husband's fault. Or his works fault. Something about OCR.
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Coming from a PDA/WindowsCE device I use to think "pen" systems where the best way to write down quick notes. But I must say some of these swype and predictive text keyboards that Android have are much better. Still not as fast as a full keyboard but faster than hand writing.

The only time the predictive text does not work is when taking notes with on math/science or drawing.

I'm always looking for faster ways to capture text so I have keyboards like Graffiti, Slide It, FlexT9, SwiftKey X, 8pen, and swype. The faster keyboards are FlexT9 and swype. Pen base systems are just too slow.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
eSheri
Addict

=X= I hadn't thought about trying different keyboards. Thanks!
I have tried several drawing apps; maybe due to the type of screen the Coby has, they didn't work well