Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Suggestion: Selecting a user-defined Category should show all of the books in it

If I make a Category, and select it, it should show all of books that match the Category.

Arbitrary Example:
Make a category called "18th Century Research", and fill it with 18C authors, books set in 18C, etc
Selecting it should automatically display all of the books that meet it's criteria.
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure what you are trying to say here? If you create a user defined category or tag and then do a search specifying that value Calibre already shows all the books that meet the search criteria.

You can save searches under a user defined name for later re-use.

You can also use a search as a "restriction" which means that until you lift the restriction all operations are limited to those books that satisfy the restriction (.i.e. it acts like a virtual library).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like you are asking that calibre construct an OR query including every item (author, tag, etc) in the user-defined category. Would you also argue that clicking on 'Series' should show all books in some series? The same for publisher? News? Saved searches?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Daemon

Those would be decent workarounds. I'm just suggesting that Categories get the (I thought very obvious) ability to let you see everything in them automatically rather than having to run shift-click every item in the Category.

This would be ridiculous in ones like "subjects", "series" or "authors". It would make sense for "news" though.

Maybe this will be clearer: I'm suggesting, essentially, that Categories get a +/- box in front of it that sets all of the fields in the Category at once.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I understood what you were asking for. I was looking for the level of consistency you wanted in the UI/in calibre's function.

Why is looking for all books with a series (or without a series) ridiculous?

As for the 'workaround', constructing the query is the only way calibre can satisfy your request. The tags browser 'talks' to the search engine, and the search engine talks to the view manager.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
Daemon

Sorry. Mixture of misreading and being tired. Yes, I think you've about nailed it.

I hadn't really thought through the value of it for author/series/etc. Running it on Series or Author would show every book that has an entry for that field (probably dubious value), but if reversed , to show the ones without entries, that would be very handy indeed, when it comes to ensuring everything is properly tagged.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
use

series:false

or tags: false
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote