Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
For and against ebooks. Interesting read

One thing I found particularly interesting is that they mention that some B&N stores are now offering some books in print with a discounted copy of the ebook thrown in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/te...uples.html?hpw
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I would think that split households are going to be rare. Once they go E they usually don't go back. In my house, we fight over the Kindle at bedtime.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
I would think that split households are going to be rare. Once they go E they usually don't go back. In my house, we fight over the Kindle at bedtime.
In my house we just have two Kindles. It cuts down on the clutter.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Bought a second 505. It saved fights.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I've been e-Reading for 7 years, and buying less and less paper. But the husband, who works in video, wants nothing to do with e-books. He doesn't read a ton, but when he does, he wants paper.

Our reading tastes differ, so I suspect we won't really battle in any way until I buy the kids an e-reader
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
sancin
sancin began at the beginning.

Device: nook 1st gen,kobo glow hd
Personally i've started using my nook as my paperback replacement. So i buy less paperbacks but i still by the same number of hardbacks. Paperbacks were always the beaters and throwaways for most of my reading while the hardbacks were for the good stuff. So even though its just me i'm sort of a split household.
sancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
My wife's still firmly in the pbook camp. She says she wouldn't know how to go about finding ebooks to read. She knows how to look for pbooks in the store.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
To be completely blunt, I think it's just a dumb idea to package Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in a paperback + ebook combo. Buy two Kindles, or two Kobos, or two Nooks and share the account (5 or 6 devices is usually legal), and one purchase overs the whole household ... in real time. You can't do that with a paperback and you don't have to buy two of anything (except the device).

In Canada, that Penguin mass market Dragon Tattoo book is $13.50; the e-book at Kobobooks is $7.99. Remind me again why I want to buy this in paper?!?

What's missing in the thick skulls of these marketers trying to figure out how to push paper is this: some of us do NOT want paper! This is what's ridiculous about newspapers forcing consumers to take daily delivery of their paper in order to access the full website. Give me the e-edition, charge me less, include the ads, and quit wasting my time putting the paper edition which I won't read into recycling or landfill.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I've been e-Reading for 7 years, and buying less and less paper. But the husband, who works in video, wants nothing to do with e-books. He doesn't read a ton, but when he does, he wants paper.

Our reading tastes differ, so I suspect we won't really battle in any way until I buy the kids an e-reader
Same here. Since moving to Thailand in Jan 03, I've not read a hardcover or paperback. I personally can't see going back, unless ereaders cause cancer!

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
Thaigreg ... the red ones cause cancer! I just bought an e-reader. While I've been busy downloading free books so far, I do plan on buying books for my e-reader. I only go to the book store to see what's new, get some ideas, drink some coffee and make a list of books to research, read reviews online and decide what ones I'll buy for my e-reader.
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
For casual reading, ebooks are fine, but for serious academic research ereaders can be a hassle, especially if you're working with a series of critical editions with endnotes and such. The key, I think, is reformatting the material to make it easier to work with but I doubt there's much incentive to do this.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoXB View Post
Thaigreg ... the red ones cause cancer! I just bought an e-reader. While I've been busy downloading free books so far, I do plan on buying books for my e-reader. I only go to the book store to see what's new, get some ideas, drink some coffee and make a list of books to research, read reviews online and decide what ones I'll buy for my e-reader.
Whew, I got a black one so I guess I'll be ok. I get lots of newsletter from the ebook websites (Fictionwise, B&N, Amazon, Booksamillion, Ereader and BOB(Books on Board) to keep me informed of the lasted reads.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
When I started reading ebooks on my PDA, it was not long before my wife decided that it was a good thing and she wanted to have a PDA as well. Fast forward three years later and she has two Jetbook Lite's and would not consider going back to paperbacks.

No fighting over ereaders on our house!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Interesting to me that every one of the examples cited of split couples involves a p-reader and an iPad or iPhone. Neither of these devices was winning over the p-reader, quite understandably IMO. I wonder what the case would be if the e-reading spouse had demonstrated a Kobo or Kindle or other dedicated e-ink reader instead of an expensive multi-function device.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoXB View Post
... I only go to the book store to see what's new, get some ideas, drink some coffee and make a list of books to research, read reviews online and decide what ones I'll buy for my e-reader.
Aha!!! YOU're the reason the brick & mortar stores are closing down everywhere!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote