Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Has anyone bought a Jetbook Lite?

I'm curious how it handles "support of DRM format through Barnes & Nobles". Does anyone know?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I too am curious about all things jetBook Lite.

I also wonder who, if anyone, carries it besides the Ectaco website.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I received jetBook-Lite 2 days ago.The battery life is good (still works and shows full charge icon), it has the same screen as my original jetBook and works fine with ePub and Mobi books but I did not try DRMed books yet. I will send it as a present to my friend (He is outside of US now and I think He will be very excited to get it).
This unit has no MP3 player and headphones jack if compare with regular jetBook but I don't think that these features very important for eBook reader.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I received jetBook-Lite 2 days ago.The battery life is good (still works and shows full charge icon), it has the same screen as my original jetBook and works fine with ePub and Mobi books but I did not try DRMed books yet. I will send it as a present to my friend (He is outside of US now and I think He will be very excited to get it).
This unit has no MP3 player and headphones jack if compare with regular jetBook but I don't think that these features very important for eBook reader.
What do you think about the weight and feel?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
What do you think about the weight and feel?
It has more heavy weight if compare with original jetBook when 4 AA batteries inside but still very solid and pretty handy to keep it in my left hand.

Last edited by Kris777; 11-11-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
It has more heavy weight if compare with original jetBook when 4 AAA batteries inside but still very solid and pretty handy to keep it in my left hand.
It uses AA batteries

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It uses AA batteries

Dale
yes, 4 AA batteries. I will correct my post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
i just ordered a jetBook Lite a couple days ago.

everyones knows im a die hard fan so i wanna check this one out as i plan on getting my in laws a set for christmas.

will make a post about it as soon as its here!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
have you tried theDRMebooks yet? Or the library books yet? thx
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
I would also be interested to learn whether the Jetbook Lite is actually useful when it comes to reading PDFs, or just technically possible but generally pointless from a practical point of view (like on my Palm).
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
I have a regular Jetbook if it's like that using the current PDFs are doable...you see them in sections if they are larger than the screen. You can also set them so that they are the width of the screen which is not too bad if you rotate the screen. If the PDF has been created to the screen size that's obviously ok. It does not at this time use reflowable PDFs as far as I know...also if it's not a drm PDF you may be able to convert it using Calibre but I am not familiar with that either.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The PDF format covers a lot of ground, so a lot depends on what PDFs you need to
be able to read.

I have a number of PDF files made from page scans of
"Backwoods Home" magazine.

The "Backwoods Home" PDFs are even readable without
zooming. (The text is as small as the resolution of the screen
will allow, though. It allows full page illustrations to display
very well.) The 200% ZOOM setting makes for medium size
text that is easy to read and navigating the page is a snap.

Trying to read the same PDFs on my 3.5" Mio P550 PDA display
is next to impossible.

As to reading the eReader DRM .pdb files; I did run into the .pdb
"missing words" problem, but switching to the 16 font, fixed it for
the most part. (Given the heat they must be getting on this, I
suspect they will be issuing a patch or rom update soon.)
( Reading "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity" now and both the text
and illustrations look great.)

It shows Software version v0.14m Patch v15, posts I've read indicated
the "N" version hasn't fully corrected the problem, and that there were only
minor differences between "M" and "N". Don't know if it is worth it to try
to find and flash to "N".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Don't buy a Jetbook Lite just yet if you want to use it to read eReader and Fictionwise books (as advertised on both their websites). At least wait until users are reporting that the readability problems are solved. There are several threads here and on the forums at ectaco.com.

Missing words really break up the flow of a narrative. At the request of Ectaco support I just upgraded mine to v14n patch 15 and started using 16 font. There are still missing words, although possibly fewer of them.

Beyond the missing words, there's an issue of readability. Size 16 font is about at the limit of comfort for my eyes. In addition, the text with pdb's is very cramped.

All that said, the reader itself is very comfortable using open epub books from Project Gutenberg. I'm reading H. G. Wells, The Island of Dr. Moreau and it is a pleasure. The reader is a good size, the battery pod on the back makes a convenient handle, the text (on epubs) is very readable. Although I haven't done it yet, I like the fact that I could carry it and some spare batteries on a camping trip away from electricity. So the Jetbook Lite has a lot of positive features. Just don't expect at this time to be able to use it as advertised on the eReader and FictionWise sites. It clearly was not yet ready for prime time.
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I have a number of PDF files made from page scans of "Backwoods Home" magazine.
Ken, I subscribed to Backwoods Home for I think four years (around Y2K time) and really enjoyed it. I'll look into what they have to offer now regarding pdf's.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
John;
I agree that the 16 font is quite small but so far it lets me read the many .pdb books that I have on hand, without noticing the lose of reading flow. Once I get into
a story, I don't think I'm reading each word, anyway.

The only place I saw the missing words issue was between pages, where the first line of the next page skipped a word or two from where it should have started. It's annoying
enough that I really expect them to fix it soon. It should be fixable and the company has
the updating and patching experience to do it. With the holidays ending they should be
in a position to get it done, in short order.

You can get 4xAA Solar charging kits with folding solar panels, that would take up little
space or weight amongst your camping gear. ( I saw one that also provided 5v USB power and various cell phone adapters. )

GA;
The "Backwoods Home" web site sells collections of back issues on CD. The CDs are
filled with the PDFs of scanned pages and/or articles. They have a number of subject
based CDs with PDFs of their best articles on that subject. Last time I looked, they had
some free downloads, in the same format.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote