Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
j101
j101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch screensaver nightmare

Hi all,

I recently got a kindle touch and, before doing anything else, decided to jailbreak it using the yifan lu method. All that happened was that I lost my screensavers and now the lock button simply freezes the current page. Having found that the more advanced screensaver method didn't work I tried using the basic option also to no avail. As such, I have tried uninstalling both and also uninstalling the launcher and jailbreak.

Is there any way to revert to the factory 5.1.2 firmware? The launcher menu is now empty but launcher is still an option when I press the menu button on the kindle. I have tried re-doing the jailbreak and reinstalling the simple screensaver but it's not worked; the screensavers folder is on my kindle and I've put 800x600 png files with the correct names in but they do not work

Any instructions on how to remove the launcher and the jailbreak would be appreciated so as I can start afresh
j101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j101 View Post
Hi all,

I recently got a kindle touch and, before doing anything else, decided to jailbreak it using the yifan lu method. All that happened was that I lost my screensavers and now the lock button simply freezes the current page. Having found that the more advanced screensaver method didn't work I tried using the basic option also to no avail. As such, I have tried uninstalling both and also uninstalling the launcher and jailbreak.

Is there any way to revert to the factory 5.1.2 firmware? The launcher menu is now empty but launcher is still an option when I press the menu button on the kindle. I have tried re-doing the jailbreak and reinstalling the simple screensaver but it's not worked; the screensavers folder is on my kindle and I've put 800x600 png files with the correct names in but they do not work

Any instructions on how to remove the launcher and the jailbreak would be appreciated so as I can start afresh
There are different jailbreak versions. You probably used the old 5.0.x firmware jailbreak, when you should have used the 5.1.x version from ixtab.

You can restore a factory firmware image, or you can even install a 5.1.2 image with the jailbreak and JBPatch and USBnetworking pre-installed. You can find them in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum, in the "simple debricking" sticky thread. Look for the "K4/K5 small debricking guide" and the "debricking repair images" pastebin link.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
j101

Thanks. Do I need to follow all of the steps of the pdf by Silver18? It seems fairly involved and I thought a lot of it was for people who have actually bricked their kindles (ie. are non-responsive)?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Do I need to follow all of the steps of the pdf by Silver18? It seems fairly involved and I thought a lot of it was for people who have actually bricked their kindles (ie. are non-responsive)?
No. If your kindle is working, you can just install mmcblk0p2_ssh and then use dd to flash the replacement mmcblk0p1 (of the same firmware version you have). To change firmware versions, you also need to flash the main kernel using fastboot.

If you have 5.1.2 and flash 5.1.2, just use diags ssh (installed with fastboot) and dd, and skip the beginning of the debricking instructions. But it is more foolproof to follow all the steps provided in the guide, which you can do later after you brick it by not following the instructions.

There are many ways you can do it, but to minimize confusion we have "standardized" to this "simple debricking" method. If you want to experiment with other methods (and you have the technical expertise to experiment safely), go ahead. The worst you can do is to brick it. You can always come back and debrick it later. Some of the developers debrick their kindles quite often. But try not to damage the bootloader image. The simple debricking method is not adequate to recover from that. Better to just follow the steps in the guide.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
jail breaks almost always end in tragedies, no?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
j101

So, if I am on 5.1.2 and intend to flash 5.1.2 with the jailbreak, would someone be so kind as to explain how I do this in a simple fashion?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
So, if I am on 5.1.2 and intend to flash 5.1.2 with the jailbreak, would someone be so kind as to explain how I do this in a simple fashion?
Read post #2 above. Substitute with 5.1.2 images from the forensic images pastebin page. For more details (after reading the recommended thread), ask your INFORMED questions in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum (where this belongs).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-28-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
jail breaks almost always end in tragedies, no?
Or broken jails.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
j101

The jailbreak worked fine (got the text file and subsequently installed the launcher). I tried uninstalling the screensaver hacks but can't work out how to uninstall the jailbreak itself. Reinstalling simple screensaver has put all the default pics into the folder (along with a text file explaining naming) but still my kindle ignores them when going to sleep. Any ideas? I'm not too keen to try the unbricking given that my only issue is getting some png files to display
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You don't have to uninstall the jailbreak. Simply make sure that your device version is 5.1.2 (otherwise update it to that version first, using the official Amazon updates), then boot to diags and from there, install the main 5.1.2 partition of your choice. Takes 5 minutes (ok, 15 minutes including reading the documentation).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
j101

Sorry to be a complete idiot but reading all of this stuff has spun me out entirely. To boot to diags do I simply put the ENABLE_DIAGS file into the root of the kindle and update? If so, how do I install the 5.1.2 partition from there?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh right, I forgot that you need to install the SSH-enabled diags in order to do this. So if you feel like following the debricking guide is too much, then... well... you won't be able to flash the main partition.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
j101

Okay, so guessing my options are
A) Cope without screensavers
B) Follow the whole unbricking guide

Correct?

My main worry about the unbricking guide is that all of the code parts are for installing the 5.0.0 software and I'm not sure how to translate that to flash the 5.1.2
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Okay, so guessing my options are
A) Cope without screensavers
B) Follow the whole unbricking guide

Correct?

My main worry about the unbricking guide is that all of the code parts are for installing the 5.0.0 software and I'm not sure how to translate that to flash the 5.1.2
Yes.

There is nothing version-specific in the guide. You only need to make extra sure that you use matching kernel and partition pairs for both the diags and the main "parts" of the system, and that you actually flash both kernels, and the diags partition, from fastboot, then the main partition from within diags.

Use the kt_5.0.* kernel/partition for diags, and the kt_5.1.2* ones for main. They are guaranteed to work.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

... and if you still didn't make it, here's the brand new and much easier solution:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=516

install the update.bin linked from that post, and then just go straight into diags mode and flash the respective main partition image.