Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Win 8, library books, & DRM

Hi,

I've looked through the thread on Calibre and Win 8 compatibility, but my problem is more specific. I borrow ebooks from the Boston Public Library. I prefer to use Calibre to manage those books on my Nook, but run into DRM problems. I do have the latest version of Calibre. I am forced by the library servers to download my book through Adobe Digital Editions, but then use Calibre to transfer the books to my Nook. When I do that, Calibre gives an error message telling me that book has been returned to the library and that DRM prevents me from reading the book. If I, instead, transfer the book to the Nook directly from Adobe Digital Editions, there are no DRM problems and I can read the book. When I used Calibre to add a library book to my Nook and I had a book I was already reading, the book in progress also showed as having been returned to the library and Icould not continue reading it. I used Adobe Digital Editions to transfer that book and chose, "replace file." That got the book in progress back on the Nook so that I could finish reading it.

I had none of these problems with Win 7. I also have purchased books on my Nook which I keep on the micro SD card. The library books I put in main memory. Calibre is very good for that kind of organization. It has much better UI than Adobe, IMHO. Can anyone suggest to me where the problem lies - with Windows 8 or with Calibre (or maybe me)? I'd like to get back to the smooth book handling that I had when I was using Windows 7.

Thanks for any help.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Google Apprentice Alf and read about 'tools' for Calibre. If you have done this and added the 'tools', you will need to configure them in Calibre.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Google Apprentice Alf and read about 'tools' for Calibre. If you have done this and added the 'tools', you will need to configure them in Calibre.
Tools should not be needed to just send a book to a registered device.

Calibre is supposed to MANAGE DRM infested books, just not do anything else with them in that state
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tools should not be needed to just send a book to a registered device.

Calibre is supposed to MANAGE DRM infested books, just not do anything else with them in that state
See...you CAN teach old dogs new tricks! Thanks for the knowledge tweak ducks
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. However, I'm still in the dark. Are others transferring library books to a Nook using Calibre running under Windows 8?

Dave W
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
What is the point in using Calibre for library books? Since you have to use ADE to download the library book anyway, why not just transfer it to the reader from there?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Dave W
Connoisseur

I like the fact that I can connect my Nook to my notebook, open Calibre, and see all the books I have on it, including library books. As I said in an earlier post, I transfer library books to main memory and purchased books to the micro SD card. ADE, as far as I can tell, doesn't give me that flexibility. Calibre just has a better UI which is why I started using it in the first place. I can certainly use ADE to transfer library books to the Nook, but why can't I do it with Calibre? An even better question is why should I need ADE at all? Why not just use Calibre instead of the 2 step procedure? I know that the library is locked into ADE for DRM reasons, but it would be great if Calibre was approved for that purpose. Why not?

Dave W
Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I know that the library is locked into ADE for DRM reasons, but it would be great if Calibre was approved for that purpose. Why not?

Dave W
NOT going to happen - ask yourself what's in it for Adobe / ADE - why should they give away the one thing they can do that calibre can't. they will of course happily sell access to you if you have deep enough pockets....

currently:
Q: What are the terms of the DRM agreement?
A: The DRM key agreement carries an annual license fee. This fee is currently set at $50,000 per year. In addition, there is a 5.5% revenue royalty which is also due to Adobe on revenue based on or dependent on the plug-in:

you volunteering to pony up $50k PER YEAR???
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
The larger point Dave W is making is that with Windows 7 calibre quite happily pushed DRM books out to his device, but now with Windows 8 it doesn't work. Did something change in calibre that now prevents this functionality across the board or is only Windows 8 a problem?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The larger point Dave W is making is that with Windows 7 calibre quite happily pushed DRM books out to his device, but now with Windows 8 it doesn't work. Did something change in calibre that now prevents this functionality across the board or is only Windows 8 a problem?
Maybe a long shot... Does the device have the right date and time set on it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Dave W
Connoisseur

Yes, the time is correct. So either Win 8 or Adobe made a change that more rigidly enforces DRM. Except for the royalty money, I don't see what the big deal is. Before my Nook, I used a Sony reader. When I read library books on it and the lending time expired, the book would no longer open. I had to finish the book within the time of the loan or borrow it again if someone wasn't ahead of me. With the Nook, that doesn't happen. Did B&N screw up or is something else going on? I try to finish all borrowed books on time and, if I finish early, I use ADE to return the book so that others who are waiting can have it. With so many books to read, I have no interest in stealing a library book to keep in my own reader library. Nor would I ever consider selling the book or giving it to a friend. DRM does not bother me except when it cramps my ability to conveniently handle the book.

Dave W
Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Yes, the time is correct. So either Win 8 or Adobe made a change that more rigidly enforces DRM.
Is it possible that the copy of Calibre on your W7 computer had certain plugins installed?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, nook, win 8