Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
No, you certainly don't need to use code view...but after a while you tend to interpret the tags as you go without even thinking about it. Since I'm looking for syntax and not formatting (margins, indents, etc) then it's not that bad. But...Book view works fine if that is easier, just be aware of the   issues.

Have you ever watched Matrix? I just see the numbers doodling down from the top.....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
It depends on what you are proofing. For how things look - Book View.

If you are looking for extra &nbsp; entities, <br /> or style tags, or whatever then Code View is the place.

Of course, to find these type of issues you can just use Find & Replace. But scanning or reading through the code is surprisingly helpful if you're comfortable with HTML.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
?

Makes sense, meme. Some questions though.

I know that an extra <br/> tag could mess things up, but why should I be concerned about an extra &nbsp; tag? Is it just that the spacing would be off? And wouldn't I notice that in Book View or a previewer anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
It depends on what you are proofing. For how things look - Book View.

If you are looking for extra &nbsp; entities, <br /> or style tags, or whatever then Code View is the place.

Of course, to find these type of issues you can just use Find & Replace. But scanning or reading through the code is surprisingly helpful if you're comfortable with HTML.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks Turtle. (Watched "Matrix" but it was over my head. lol)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 2 and I really like proofreading on it. But it somehow turned ALL my epub files (incl. the ones I did not open in Adobe) into its brown logo and somehow (in the "properties") made them only to be opened with Adobe. (When I went to open a epub file in Nook for PC it wouldn't open.) So I went into "properties" and selected (just sort of arbitrarily) for the files to be opened with Nook for PC and now they seem to be getting opened by anything so it's cool. (I guess. lol) Any sort of experience with something similar?
Very Very Common.
The last program installed has claimed to be the preferred 'Open With' Program.
Some programs like Sigil ASK if you want to do this.

So, fix it.
Find an EPUB file in Explorer: (on the Nenu) Tools: Folder Options: (File Type Tab: (find EPUB on the list):Click the Change button: Pick your poison
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 AM   #21
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I know that an extra <br/> tag could mess things up, but why should I be concerned about an extra &nbsp; tag? Is it just that the spacing would be off? And wouldn't I notice that in Book View or a previewer anyway?
Everyone has different standards for how clean their ebook is. Its up to you if you just want to visually look at your book - and if it looks reasonable enough its done - or if you want to dive into the code and make sure every tag is exactly what and where you want it to be. As for what should or shouldn't be in an EPUB, that's probably better in the EPUB forum.

But as far as &nbsp; goes, it just adds extra space that you may or may not notice in Book View. It gets mentioned because Book View will create them for you when it thinks you wanted one (e.g. if you type two spaces in a row) - and the easiest way to find and replace them is in Code View.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #22
skio
skio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle app for PC,Nook app for PC,Kobo app for PC ready to be installe
Sigil forgot asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Very Very Common.

So, fix it.
Find an EPUB file in Explorer: (on the Nenu) Tools: Folder Options: (File Type Tab: (find EPUB on the list):Click the Change button: Pick your poison
Hi,
Sigil did it to me without even asking,I've now all my miserable collection of
2 dozzens of ePub files under the form of Sigil ones.

The thing presents like a problem as I need them for tests(a huge amount of tests) and use having a black screen full of icons.On black there is not Sigil iicon and it's quite frustrating and confusing.
Hey peeps ,Sigil is just great toy ,consider imbelish it's Icon with a bit let's say red ...for happiness of the users like me,just a sugestion.

Last edited by skio; 01-31-2013 at 04:50 AM.
skio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #23
skio
skio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the endskio knows the complete value of PI to the end

How to proofview the bulleted lists?????

Hi All again,
I've actually this urgent need to hear about any possible
advice or personal experience about how the bulleted lists display
on different devices?Thanks at advance to every one.

The bulleted lists are not simply integral but vital part of the content of my non-fiction book.

My testing with Nook for PC gives me excellent result but scares me as well,i'm sceptic,would be it so easy?
(sorry ,I oper a very poor english)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #24
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is actually a question for another forum, the ePUB forum. Lists can be a pain in ePUB, depends on your lists. Simple lists are not a problem.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks but I've follow-up questions

Thanks ducks, Glad to know what's going on. Like I said in a previous post I had trouble opening one of the epubs because it was 'only open w/ADE.' But since I changed the 'properties' on that one to open with Nook for PC, I haven't had any trouble opening any of the epubs, so I was just going to leave it. Until I saw your post, which I tried but couldn't seem to make work. Do you really think I need to do what you suggest? I mean, the way it is it's not going to screw up sending out epubs to distributors, or anything like that, is it? And if I need to do your thing, I went to My Computer, then Desktop (where all my epubs are), then of course I can't open the epub there, but I did highlight it. Then I went to Tools and then Folder Options but then didn't see File Type Tab. There was just a 'general' and a 'view' tab.

Anyway, sorry to complicate something that is probably so simple, but I appreciate your help.

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Very Very Common.

So, fix it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Thanks meme,

I hear ya about the code being a better place to pick off those extra & nbsp ; guys. The cleaner the better. Appreciate the feedback.

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Everyone has different standards for how clean their ebook is. Its up to you if you just want to visually look at your book - and if it looks reasonable enough its done - or if you want to dive into the code and make sure every tag is exactly what and where you want it to be. As for what should or shouldn't be in an EPUB, that's probably better in the EPUB forum.

But as far as &nbsp; goes, it just adds extra space that you may or may not notice in Book View. It gets mentioned because Book View will create them for you when it thinks you wanted one (e.g. if you type two spaces in a row) - and the easiest way to find and replace them is in Code View.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
skio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is actually a question for another forum, the ePUB forum. Lists can be a pain in ePUB, depends on your lists. Simple lists are not a problem.
Hi Toxaris ,thanks and sorry.

I've started a massive read of ePUB forum,no encouragement yet over the last 7-8 pages of threads so I'd betterread all of them((the pages) seems ha-ha before reposting my question.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
And if I need to do your thing, I went to My Computer, then Desktop (where all my epubs are), then of course I can't open the epub there, but I did highlight it. Then I went to Tools and then Folder Options but then didn't see File Type Tab. There was just a 'general' and a 'view' tab.

Anyway, sorry to complicate something that is probably so simple, but I appreciate your help.

Bear
You DON'T really want to do this at the specific FILE level.
Do it for All by following my instructions

All this affects is the ICON and what program YOUR PC uses for EPUB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
You wouldn't notice it in the Book View unless the nonbreaking space happened close enough to the end of a line that it forced the two words on either side of it to the next line.

You'd be concerned because, depending on the reader's settings, it forces those words to stay together. This is especially annoying if they're long words and the reader is reading at a larger font size.

So if you have a line like:
The thing the Time Traveller held in his hand was a glittering metallic framework, scarcely larger than a small clock, and very delicately made. There was ivory in it, and some transparent crystalline substance.

... it's fine. If, however, you wound up with &nbsp; between "framework" and "scarcely," a reader could be stuck with:

The thing the Time Traveller held in his hand was a glittering metallic
framework, scarcely larger than a small clock, and very delicately made. There was
ivory in it, and some transparent crystalline substance.

Tolerable; not great. Or worse, if they're reading in large print on a small device:
The thing the Time Traveller held in his
hand was a glittering metallic
framework, scarcely larger than a small
clock, and very delicately made. There
was ivory in it, and some transparent
crystalline substance.

Any one instance will likely not be noticed. However, one every tenth word would make for awful formatting in many views.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you are not expecting any nbsp; in the file in the first place then a code global search and replace may be in order. Just replace it with a space.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote