Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
calibre server and client synch?

I know this isn't a feature, to my knowledge, but would it be possible to have a central database running calibre, and have client versions synching to a server?

The reason I ask, is that I have calibre installed on a Macbook Pro, a Macbook, my Windows 7 machine I use as an office and gaming machine, and my linux server which will eventually be running all sorts of services using ESXi.

I would LOVE to have calibre clients on either of the Macbooks and the Windows 7 machine to have access to a calibre install with all my recent additions, news feeds, etc.

My kobo needs physical access to calibre to transfer the files over, so it becomes cumbersome for me to bring my kobo downstairs (where I don't hang out most often) when I could simply connect it to either of my Macbooks and then transfer the content I have on my linux server.

I just like trying to centralize things because I'm geeky that way! Hell, I don't even go downstairs to turn on either of my computers, I use WoLAN! hehehe

Thanks!
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre running in a client server mode is on the road map - but not currently a feature. Just do not expect it any time soon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
It's nice to know it will eventually, maybe, show up.
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Thanks for asking and answering this question -- I want to do the same! I want my server to download newspapers each day, and then when I turn on my laptop or desktop I want my local Calibre to sync with the server before I hook up my ereader.

So, add me to this feature request!
ps Calibre is awesome!
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduct View Post
I want to do the same! I want my server to download newspapers each day, and then when I turn on my laptop or desktop I want my local Calibre to sync with the server before I hook up my ereader.
Waiting for a client-server redesign is probably not the fastest way to do what you want. You may want to look at setting up the Content Server for remote access to all your books, or, look at a shared/replicated setup with DropBox or folder synchronization software.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
kingduct
Enthusiast

The problem is that I want to have my newspapers automatically download to the server while my desktop computer is off. As far as I can tell, the content server (under linux) requires x.org. Is that correct?

Since my server is just a command line system, I can't run the content server. Is there another way of autodownloading newspapers and having them properly converted/formatted for my Kindle that can be run at the command line?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
The problem is that I want to have my newspapers automatically download to the server while my desktop computer is off. As far as I can tell, the content server (under linux) requires x.org. Is that correct?

Since my server is just a command line system, I can't run the content server. Is there another way of autodownloading newspapers and having them properly converted/formatted for my Kindle that can be run at the command line?
For a definitive answer, you may have to wait for Kovid or another *nix user, but the answer I've seen is that you have to be able to install the complete Calibre package. You don't have to run the GUI - it will accept command line only instructions, but a minimal server system may have trouble installing Calibre. I don't know the exact dependencies.

It's odd that you say you can't run the content server because you have a command line system. I run an ancient Debian command line only server, and one of its few functions is to run Apache - a web server. That's all that the Calibre Content Server is - just a web server. Nonetheless, if you can't install Calibre, you can't run the content server portion or the news portion.

Also, I have no idea how a client server design for Calibre might take shape, but it's quite possible that it will still require a full install of Calibre.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
kingduct
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I run a web server. The issue is really that I need a command line tool to download newspapers once each day. Once I did that, I could create a script to sync the directory my newspaper downloader downloads into with Calibre on my desktop machine and Calibre could then handle the conversion process for my Kindle.

The key here is that I really like how Calibre downloads the newspapers. If that is done with a script itself, all I would need is that and I could use cron to schedule it to run each day.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a full command line interface for all its functions, including news download. The command you need is ebook-convert
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
The key here is that I really like how Calibre downloads the newspapers. If that is done with a script itself, all I would need is that and I could use cron to schedule it to run each day.
It's not done with a script - at least not as you're thinking of it. The news system uses "recipes" that refer to Python classes/methods deeply integrated into Calibre. All of the pieces of Calibre can be run from the command line, including the news fetching of recipes, but you need the other parts of Calibre to be correctly installed. OTOH, if you can get Calibre installed, you could run a cron job to fetch news. I do all my design and testing of recipes outside of the Calibre GUI. It's entirely command line operated, but it needs the underlying installation of Calibre to work.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
kingduct
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. So, I would need to install all of the libraries for Calibre (which in my case includes installing X.org) in order to just get the non-graphical elements to work. However, that would all primarily be a question of disk space, since I wouldn't have to actually run the parts of Calibre that use X and the other window rendering stuff.

I'll think about it. Maybe I'll just turn on my desktop a few minutes before I want to sync my ebook reader so that it has time to download.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
kingduct
Enthusiast

So, I'm finally thinking about running a script to download a newspaper based on the Calibre recipes. However, I don't see how to use ebook-convert or any of the other scripts to do so. Can anyone give me an example of the command I'd need to issue in order to download today's New York Times (or any other paper) and convert it to mobi format from the command line?

Could I then use calibre-smtp to send it using my gmail?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have a look here or here, and of course here.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote