Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Dell Streak bundled with Kindle Store?

Engadget reports, in Leaked Dell Streak flyer ..., that Dell's Android-based 5" slate will come with an Amazon content partnership. A leaked flyer isn't a press release, but, if accurate, the most interesting part is:
Quote:
3G wireless means books in 60 seconds.
No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi spots.
Dell was already reported to use AT&T 3G, like the Kindles, but this implies the Streak might be sold without a contract and with "free" access to Amazon. Perhaps there will also be an optional monthly data plan, like some of the iPads, for general internet access (in any case, it will also have WiFi). Also, this obviously implies there is a Kindle app for Android in the works.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
5"....?!

What's the point and what is it competing against? ... the iPhone (without the phone part and crappier UI) or the 4"+ Androids (also without the phone part)?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Looks like a great alternative to ipad - at least there is a way of getting content onto it without itunes.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is often compared to the iPad, but to me the 5" version is obviously closer to the iPod Touch (although the screen is much bigger than 3.5 in and 320x480 pixels). Dell is reportedly going to produce larger Android tablets as well, see laptop magazine. The larger versions might well be iPad alternatives.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Looks like a neat device; sits between the iPhone and the iPad - hey, there's a tricky niche to aim for Like others here, though, I'm not sure who it's aiming at. Still, if there's a market for 5" e-ink devices, I guess there's a market for this. And if you absolutely have to have Flash, then maybe it'll be worth the rumoured $1100 asking price (unsubsidised); or maybe not.

Interesting that it appears to have a proprietary 30-pin dock connector but no USB, no video out, no SD slots...

Must be a trend.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
5" screens are an ideal size for a portable device, I think. Small enough to carry in a coat pocket, but big enough to be easily readable. I take my 5" Pocketbook 360 with me everywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
5" screens are an ideal size for a portable device, I think. Small enough to carry in a coat pocket, but big enough to be easily readable. I take my 5" Pocketbook 360 with me everywhere.
+1... I would be a lot more likely to take something like this with me, as opposed to something iPad size.... everything in the portable electronics world is a compromise of size, performance, features and usability.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Hopefully this, or a device like it, will finally be the replacement for my Newton MessagePad.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote