Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Prepping texts for conversion?

Has anyone created or found a decent howto for converting Gutenberg text files to HTML in preparation for conversion to ebooks?

What I've been able to come up with so far for things to watch (a large majority of these taken from Gutenberg's website):
  1. Remove Gutenberg boilerplate
  2. Escape out existing characters <, >, &
  3. Encode accented characters
  4. Convert and encode special characters endash, emdash, ellipses
  5. Convert quotes to curly quotes, apostrophes
  6. Clean up double spaces, remove spaces at end of lines
  7. Convert multiple blank lines to a rule (from Gutenberg)
  8. Add in HTML header and footer
  9. Add in paragraph marks
  10. Mark up headings
  11. Clean up special line breaks and indents
  12. Italics and bold
  13. Images

Does anyone have a decent search-replace for handling curly quotes? Found a couple algorithms online but they all seem to run into special cases (nested quotes, quotes inside brackets) and all seem to just give up when trying to deal with something like 5'10" inside a quote ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It's not possible to algorithmically handle intermingled quotes &c., which is why compleat document tagging schemes explicitly mark up beginning and ending quotes &c.

A search-replace which marks the first set replaced, then replaces the other, then re-replaces the marked set will get one most of the way though, esp. if one uses GREP to exclude likely candidates for apostrophes.

Then, look at and determine which ones need to be quotes, which apostrophes and which ones primes as a final confirming check.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
Does anyone have a decent search-replace for handling curly quotes? Found a couple algorithms online but they all seem to run into special cases (nested quotes, quotes inside brackets) and all seem to just give up when trying to deal with something like 5'10" inside a quote ...
Converting 5'10" is easy. You just convert based on the space after the " and the fact that no space exists before the ". As for the ', you convert it based on the fact of no spaces between the ' and no other '.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Trouble is, though, that those methods assume that all the quotes in the source file are "correct". If one's missing, you'll mess everything up.

What I do personally is leave whatever quotes the source doc has well alone - if they're curly quotes they stay curly; if they're straight, they stay straight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I check the quotes manually. First look for apostrophes and ensure they are correct, then look for quotation marks and ensure they come in pairs (except when there are paragraph breaks inside a quote) and are properly nested. It's time consuming, but I've always found automatic search and replace leads to more errors, especially, as HarryT says, when the source file is sloppy.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Has anyone created or found a decent howto for converting Gutenberg text files to HTML in preparation for conversion to ebooks?
If downloading the already PG-to-HTML-converted etexts from Manybooks.net isn't enough for you or you still like doing it yourself, you can use a piece of free software called GutenMark, specially developed for converting PG's ebooks.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

I've tried GutenMark (and gut.pl) and the results are decent but too much hand-editing afterwards. The ManyBooks editions do a good job of Table of Contents but they don't do any typographic cleanup (dashes, ellipses, quotes, etc.)

I've been playing around with the list I've got above and eventually I'm going to update it (things like escaping '&' must occur before anything else). The process will always require human intervention (simply because each Gutenberg transcription was by a person) and an important part of the process is learning the original transcriber's style.

Two items that help, a reference on the MobileRead wiki to
Code:
<mbp:pagebreak/>
for layout control and Google Books archive of scanned books (for checking the original layout and typography).
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
I've tried GutenMark (and gut.pl) and the results are decent but too much hand-editing afterwards.
I know what you mean. I suggest you subscribe to gutvol-d, the discussion group at PG and ask for some help from other volunteers.

Since you're going to produce those HTML yourself we would be very thankful if you could send them to our PG's Posting Team.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
cerement
Groupie

In this case, the text I was working with already had an HTML version available on Gutenberg (Round About the Carpathians), but the HTML version provided was created for a large screen, attempted to convey more accurate layout, and was trying to stay within PG's guidelines for clean markup.

In the long run, what I wanted was to end up with a version optimized for my new Kindle (smaller screen, readable rather than accurate layout, Mobipocket and Kindle specific markup). And being the contrary person that I am, I figured it would take less time to start from the text file provided rather than trying to mangle the provided HTML.