Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I thought that's what you might mean, and for me at any rate that is not any kind of a margin, as it has nothing to do with the display or the text.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
How much did this cost counting shipping? Do you think it's an good as e-ink?
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
How much did this cost counting shipping? Do you think it's an good as e-ink?
My total cost was $290. But a good part of that is Ebay, Paypal, and currency conversion fees. If someone imported this device as a reseller, it would probably go for around $250 including shipping.

I think this LCD screen is as good as Eink.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's also something I don't like about e-books purchased from the Sony Bookstore. Large margins giving away a lot of screen estate. ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Many of us feel that a margin of more than 2 or 3 pixels is a waste of the screen becuase it means fewer words can be on it at once.
Not just the margins... what about that status bar I never actually look at. I'd love to be able to get rid of it, or only see it when I hit a "status" button. Precious screen real estate wasted.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think this LCD screen is as good as Eink.
Are you implying that the screen is reflective, a la E-ink? I don't see any backlighting in any of the M218 photographs...
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
What kind of battery life are you noticing? I know the specs say "up to 25 hours," but what does this translate into for an avid reader?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Usually this would be a little early to report on the battery life, but in this case it doesn't matter. I keep getting a low battery warning. It starts just a few minutes after I unplug the reader. Also, the battery gauge usually shows 2/3 charge. As a result, I don't have a valid way to judge the battery life.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've decided that when I format an eBook, I use 0 margins on every side. I prefer to have mor eon screen at one time. Also, I purchase eBooks that I can convert to the way I want it to look.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've decided that when I format an eBook, I use 0 margins on every side. I prefer to have mor eon screen at one time. Also, I purchase eBooks that I can convert to the way I want it to look.
Me too, with one exception. I find that some fonts and some characters tend to get chopped by a pixel or so with 0 margins. The way kerning is done can leave a slight overflow at the edge of the screen. For this reason I usually prefer at least 1 pixel and maybe 2 pixels for the margin. It doesn't give up much and provides a better visual experience. It is especially noticeable with text is fully justified.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
balok
Ugly alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've decided that when I format an eBook, I use 0 margins on every side. I prefer to have mor eon screen at one time.
Makes sense when you realize that margins in paper books only exist so you can hold the book without covering the text, and to protect the text if the edges of the pages get worn. No need for that with an ebook reader.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not with the 505 for sure. I don't have a problem with the text at the edges of the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #27
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Balok, where on earth did you get that explanation for the existence of margins? Margins are there for visual purposes and also to allow for annotations. If you think about it for even a moment, you quickly realize that there are ways to hold a book which have absolutely nothing to do with the existence of margins. Frankly, I don't understand this whole discussion: the amount of text in question is small. Personally I find text without margins harder to read.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #28
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Balok, where on earth did you get that explanation for the existence of margins? Margins are there for visual purposes and also to allow for annotations. If you think about it for even a moment, you quickly realize that there are ways to hold a book which have absolutely nothing to do with the existence of margins. Frankly, I don't understand this whole discussion: the amount of text in question is small. Personally I find text without margins harder to read.
Actually Balok's post has some merit. I thought about it and I quickly realized that for me that there are not that many ways to hold a book comfortably without my fingers or thumbs being somewhere on the page. If there were no margins the text would be covered by my aforementioned fingers or thumbs. There is no real need for margins in a Electronic Reader since they are already built in by the case. I find the margins in books from the Sony eBook store to be excessive. The less words on the page means more page turns and consequently more battery usage.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #29
balok
Ugly alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Margins are there for visual purposes and also to allow for annotations.
Ok, visual purposes, but that's a question of personal preference. As for annotations, I don't see how margins could be of use on an ebook reader that doesn't let you make annotations.

Quote:
there are ways to hold a book which have absolutely nothing to do with the existence of margins.
Maybe if you have the right book, like a bible that stays open on a pupit. Most paperbacks require you to hold it open, otherwise it will close itself. You can't just hold the book cover. Your fingers must grasp the margins.

Last edited by balok; 03-18-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
Ok, visual purposes, but that's a question of personal preference.
Maybe it is not? A small margin ought to make it harder to find the next line. Especially if you have a black Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote