Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #76
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Not so easy. Amazon.uk also checks the address of the credit card. I was able to get Feist's Rift War saga and Edding's Belgariad series that way, but got cut off after the first book in the Malloreon. I'm sure there is a way around it (thought gift cards don't seem to work).
First six from Dorsai from Gateway are available for 29.39 US$ from Kobo India - you can register any card as long as you have "Indian" billing address just google. Then it's couponable so if you use still valid 50% off coupon -yournext2613 you'll get it for under 15 US$.
They also have James Blish's Cities in Flight for 10.49US$, again couponable.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #77
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I use my Am Ex Card and have not had any problems buying from Amazon UK.
Apache
Interesting. Well, it appears that my account is now marked as non UK. If it were really important to me, I suppose I could get a friend of mine who lives in Wales to front it for me. I've already gotten the books that I really wanted from there. The remaining handful of books are more in the would like to have and will probably become available in the US at some point in the next couple of years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Paper, Man! Paper! Read!
I have most of Zelazny's work already in paper, but I'd like to downsize my paper library. Since most of his work is currently out of print in paper as well, a couple of generations of new SF readers will be missing out on his work.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 07-14-2013 at 03:01 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #79
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Not making excuses for the publishers, but most/a lot of back catalogs don't have a digital file to create the ebooks from. It would mean OCRing and editing and I think most publishers don't see enough profit.
No real need for OCR for the major works by Zelazny. Buy rights, correct an existing illegal copy using a paper original and publish. Buy some OCR equipment, just to prevent embarrassing questions.

I am NOT endorsing piracy.

M.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #80
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
It's not that publishers don't see the potential profit from ebooks. It's that they have enormous backlists to convert, and it takes time--and yes, costs money. For older books, it can take a long time to track down the rights holders. Of course, more and more writers are taking their backlists into their own hands.

Someone on MR posted a plea a while back for ebook versions of Alexander Jablokov's SF books. I can report that he's begun the process.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #81
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Not having electronic files for a back list book isn't much of an excuse for not having an ebook. A couple of years ago I started to buy some out of print authors with the intent of scanning them and turning them into ebooks. At the time it seemed unlikely that they would ever appear as ebooks.

Using cheap, consumer type scanners (i.e. a Canon MP280) I could scan a book in about two hours or less. A quick run through ScanTailor to deskew, split and trim the images. Run the images through Abby Sprint (came with the scanner) and I have an rtf file ready to edit with Libre Office. Putting the scans with the text side by side to proof and correct save the file as html, run the html through notepad++ to clean it up and then load it into Sigil to create the epub. Total time for a 160 page paperback is usually less than 30 hours. And I do a damn good job. Better than many of the publishers. I have a Harlen Ellison book that I bought that has execrable proofing. I would have been ashamed to produce anything that bad.

A few years ago I scanned a series of SF anthologies that I had really enjoyed when they came out in the 80's. I sent the scans and files to the editor. He thanked me and said that he might be able to get them out in print again as ebooks. I'm sure there are many rights issues with old anthologies but I would like to see some of those stories out again.

I sometimes think that the publishers would rather not see back list books become available because their current offerings would suffer in comparison.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #82
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
notepad++ to clean it up and then load it into Sigil to create the epub. Total time for a 160 page paperback is usually less than 30 hours.
So what is the cost for that work? Maybe $3000? How many book do you have to sell to get back the cost? 1500-3000? Will really all backlist books sell in these numbers?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #83
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So what is the cost for that work? Maybe $3000? How many book do you have to sell to get back the cost? 1500-3000? Will really all backlist books sell in these numbers?
Quite. And if you're launching 20 books, you're $60,000 in the hole before earning anything, without even allowing for other costs, like a cover, or an advance to the author, if it's not you.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #84
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If you read the new edition of Katherine Kurtz's Deryni trilogy, you will see that fans scanned in copies of the first three books and edited it, so she could work from a digital edition, rather than re-type it in by hand. I suspect this is the reason that these three books are available as ebooks, while the rest (with the exception of the last three) are not. This might be a viable solution where the ebook rights have reverted back to the author and the author has a sufficiently dedicated fanbase. Of course, in such cases, I suspect that it's not that uncommon for the rights of those books to still be tied up in contracts.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #85
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Total time for a 160 page paperback is usually less than 30 hours.
I don't understand why couldn't it be typed? For 160 pages it would take much much less time?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #86
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's possible that Harper Collins, who put out the current paperback editions in 2010, doesn't have the rights to do electronic versions and they reside with his estate.

An email to his son might bring an answer...
http://trentzelazny.com/index.php?page=contact

I'd think the publisher would be willing on books that have sold enough to be kept in print since the late 60's.

My guess is that with patience they will be coming.
My guess is that probably within twenty years the public will lose patience and modify copyright law to require a work be offered to the public in order to retain rights. I am betting it will be amazing how fast backlists come online and very few works will be abandoned to the public domain.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #87
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
My guess is that probably within twenty years the public will lose patience and modify copyright law to require a work be offered to the public in order to retain rights. I am betting it will be amazing how fast backlists come online and very few works will be abandoned to the public domain.
Twenty years might be too long.
The ongoing debates over "orphan works" are already headed that way.
In fact, the latest twist in the ongoing Google land-grab lawsuit could expedite that particular solution if Google's scanning effort were declared fair use.
On the software side, there is already the concept of "abandonware" where copywrited products not actively supported or defended are distributed as defacto Public Domain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

If the Google trial were to deny class action status and require individual authors to acively step forward to challenge the scanning of the print editions it would result in a whole class of defacto abandonware books and likely prompt legal action to codify when such scanning is fair use.

We might see such changes before the end of the decade.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
We might see such changes before the end of the decade.
Unlikely. Changes to the International Berne Copyright Convention (and such changes would be required for the purposes you describe) require the agreement of all signatories and generally take a very long time indeed to go through.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #89
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unlikely. Changes to the International Berne Copyright Convention (and such changes would be required for the purposes you describe) require the agreement of all signatories and generally take a very long time indeed to go through.
No. There will be no changes to Berne Convention. What would need to be changed is WIPO Copyright Treaty.
Quote:
The WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) is a relatively new copyright treaty. Although concluded in 1996, the WCT came into force in 2002. The WCT updates and supplements the Berne Convention and addresses changes in the digital world including the distribution of digital works over the internet that are not adequately addressed by the Berne Convention. The WCT updates the Berne Convention without amending Berne or replacing Berne. Any state that adheres to the WCT must comply with the substantive provisions of the 1971 (Paris) Act of the Berne Convention, even if it is not bound by the Berne Convention.
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/wct/index.html

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works was last amended in 1979.
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/b...ocs_wo001.html

ETA:And then of course you have new treaties like
Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons who are Blind, Visually Impaired, or otherwise Print Disabled
http://www.wipo.int/meetings/en/doc_...?doc_id=241683

In diplomacy and international law anything is possible, if there is a will...

Last edited by jmilica; 07-20-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for the correction, but the point that I was making still stands: that changes to international treaties generally take a very, very long time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote