Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
ymerejo42
Enthusiast
ymerejo42 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
Question about metadata

For various reasons, I decided to delete and rebuild my calibre library. So, I copied all my .epub files out, deleted the calibre library folder, and started re-adding them in.

This turned up some rather interesting information, namely, that some of the books contained Publisher, Tag and Rating info, even though I had deleted all that info from all my books. How do I permanently remove this info from my books? It even showed up in some that I'm fairly certain I'd re-converted after changing the cover files.
ymerejo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you convert a book the data is embeded in the converted book file.
If you have several formats of the same book the formats not converted will still have old info, covers.
The file that is first imported (with automerge checked) will be the metadata that is stored in the database.

If you generally convert to one format, than you should import all of the books with that format first.
Any books not converted after changing metadatstill have old metadata.

--or--
If you have .opf files in every folder then you can get the metadata from them by using the second option under add books I believe and this should be the editd metadata.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
ymerejo42
Enthusiast
ymerejo42 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
Well, they're all in .epub format, some I had to run through conversion simply to update covers (which doesn't always work, either, sometimes you end up with multiple covers), but even when I re-add them, re-edit the ratings, tags and publishers, and export them (instead of manually copying them out of the folders), they still keep the publisher info.

Exporting them seems to have cleared out the tags and ratings, why not the publishers?

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to delete the publisher from multiple books at a time, but when doing the "Edit metadata in bulk", all you can do is set the publishers all to the same company, not delete it from all books.

Last edited by ymerejo42; 07-26-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added in last paragraph
ymerejo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymerejo42 View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to delete the publisher from multiple books at a time, but when doing the "Edit metadata in bulk", all you can do is set the publishers all to the same company, not delete it from all books.
If you want to delete a single publisher from all books, use Manage Publishers (button under the tag browser or right-click on a publisher). If you want to erase any publisher from a set of books, then use bulk edit to set the publishers to some value such as "DeleteMeNow". Then use Manage Publishers to delete that publisher.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymerejo42 View Post
Exporting them seems to have cleared out the tags and ratings, why not the publishers?
Probably the publisher info was in the file to start with. If you did no conversions, the tags/ratings weren't added, so they disappeared on export/import, but publishers stayed.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert