Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Micropolis

Hi folks,

just want to let you know that I'm porting Micropolis to the iLiad. That's the GPL-ed version of the original Sim City. I already got it running (see the screenshot), but I still need some time to hook up the original source with some more screen refreshes... The splash screen is still a bit messy too...

You can download an alpha version of it below, but please have in mind that it's really alpha Simply extract it to a storage card and have fun!

Known issues:
  • Screen refreshing is far from perfect
  • Loading saved cities only works by entering the filename by hand

Edit: v02 out, basic screen refreshing, window size corrected, source file uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080115_193425.png
Views:	539
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	9200  
Attached Files
File Type: zip micropolis_v02.zip (2.17 MB, 329 views)
File Type: gz micropolis-src_v02.tar.gz (9.70 MB, 318 views)

Last edited by -Thomas-; 01-18-2008 at 04:20 PM.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I wonder if it could be ported to the Kindle?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I did wonder how long it would take someone to try this. Didn't think it would be quite that quick!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Oooh. The milling crowd of ships, cars, airplanes etc. looks nice. Micropolis is running. Cool.
I haven't started a real playing session, just loaded a map & tested the different speeds of time. Screen refeshes are a problem as always. Tedious work to do. Good luck.

The cover in Contentlister is missing, because the included png image has got another name than .cover.png as listed in manifest.xml .

[EDIT] Oh, Micropolis uses TCL/Tk. This is uncharted water for me. Thomas, great effort.
Minimalist homepage of Micropolis is here.

Last edited by yokos; 01-17-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: TCL/Tk
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Oh this is so cool. I mean using e-ink for games like mikropolis, looking for hours to the screen is simply wonderfull.

Im going to learn this game now. I never did - but now is the time.

Thanks!
Gogolo

Edit: What we need now is color e-ink!!!
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Gogolo
Addict

Two issues:

- It saves games, but when I want to load them after starting micropolis I dont see any games in the load window (although my saved game is on the SD Card in the right folder!) - without loading feature this is not so much fun...

- Screen refresh when panning the map would be great, because it 'overlays' everything...

A part from this - I love it

Gogolo
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Way cool!

I can't give you any more karma, though. I guess I gave you some too recently.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
- It saves games, but when I want to load them after starting micropolis I dont see any games in the load window (although my saved game is on the SD Card in the right folder!) - without loading feature this is not so much fun...
I have this problem too and have not yet looked into it. But you can load a saved city by entering the name by hand (e.g. mycity.cty) and clicking OK.

Quote:
- Screen refresh when panning the map would be great, because it 'overlays' everything...
The first version was without any screen refreshes at all, just the basic portation. I've uploaded a new version above including a basic refreshing mechanism. It completely refreshes after panning or clicking on the overview map.

I've also included a source ZIP file (don't wanna have gplviolations.org knocking at my door )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Way cool!

I can't give you any more karma, though. I guess I gave you some too recently.
Looks like you gave me some for my ps2pdf port... keep it up
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #9
Gogolo
Addict

-Thomas-, thanks very much for the new version! Screen refresh is very nice now! And thanks for the hint with loading games

Gogolo
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

I found that the contrast is weak because the territory image is to dark in greyscale. I attach a new "tiles.txt" you have to rename it to: tiles.xpm

Put it in the micropolis/images folder (overwrite existing). Looks nicer now

Greetings
Gogolo

Edit: I like this game very much on iLiad. Its so nice on e-ink. Ok Ok, Im totally e-ink addicted. Even my wife begins to say: Oh not again speaking about eink :-)

Edit: Updated tiles with even more contrast, little trees and better water.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tiles.txt (558.0 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by Gogolo; 02-04-2008 at 05:43 AM.