Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #106
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
There is nothing worse than having a 7 year old computer, getting this stuff all configured just the way you want it, then letting that old boy encode that video over the next few hours, only to realize that you forgot to actually hit the "Add Track" button back in the Audio tab. So all that hard work just went down the tubes.

Turns out Handbrake has a nifty feature button at the top middle of the main window called "Preview." If you want to use this feature, I believe you need to have VLC media player installed. You can grab it here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

When they say it plays everything, they pretty much mean it.

Anyways ... after hitting the Preview button, you'll be met by the screen in this post. I have it set to start the preview at "5," which I believe means about the 50% point in the video, and then encode just 30 seconds (Duration) right around that area. Click Play with VLC and it will do it's hard work encoding, and fire up VLC to let you watch it immediately. If anything doesn't seem right when it plays, you can go back and check those settings, and you didn't waste an entire evening with your computer gronking away on a bad video.

After you've confirmed the video is as it should be, hit the start button, and off it goes. You should be able to see a progress meter in the lower left of the Handbrake window as it works. Just remember, if you chose 2-pass video encoding, don't get all excited when it gets to 100% as it will need to start over for the second pass.

If anyone wants to know how to do this on multiple videos, and be able to walk away while it's working, just say sasquatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-Preview.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	63294  
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #107
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thank you, Krypto! Much karma to you.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #108
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

I'll also mention that if you chose to do a 30 second preview of your video that it will have created a video file in the destination directory with the word "sample" in the filename. You can delete this file whenever you wish, because I'm pretty sure Handbrake will just leave it there.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #109
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

In the first post of these instructions, Post #96 of this thread, I added a PDF attachment of just the images.

Now ... if only we had some device where we could view the PDF file while setting all those options in Handbrake ...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #110
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Here are some approx. numbers to determine final video file sizes:

Video Bitrate = 600 (kbps)
Audio Bitrate = 128 (kbps)
About 5.3 Megabyte per minute of video duration
(About 0.0052 Gigabytes per minute of video duration)
Quality on Nook Color screen = not great, blocking apparent, would do for folks hurting for storage space

Video Bitrate = 850 (kbps)
About 7.1 Megabyte per minute of video duration
(About 0.0069 Gigabytes per minute of video duration)
Quality on Nook Color screen = pretty darn good, minor blocking

Video Bitrate = 1100 (kbps)
About 9 Megabyte per minute of video duration
(About 0.00878 Gigabytes per minute of video duration)
Quality on Nook Color screen = excellent

Video Bitrate = 1500 (kbps)
About 11.9 Megabyte per minute of video duration
(About 0.0116 Gigabytes per minute of video duration)
Quality on Nook Color screen = pristine, so good probably not worth the high file size.

-------------------

So, if I had an 8 gigabyte (GB) expansion card inside my Nook Color with 7 GB of free space, and the typical movie is about 110 minutes long, at a video bitrate of 850 kbps, I have room for:

110 minutes x 0.0069 GB/min = 0.759 GB/movie

7 GB / 0.759 = 9 movies
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #111
PatrickB
PatrickB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question... Are most of you ripping your movies from dvds? And can Handbrake do that? I've started using Video Converter Pro, because it has the DRM removal. The problem is, it won't output to the resolution of 854x368, it only does the 720x whatever. But I do like the difference the 854 makes, it fills out the screen. So as of right now, I have to use the Video Converter Pro, to remove the DRM, which takes the length of the movie to do, then run it through HandBrake again to get the resolution I want, which then again takes however long, is it the length of the movie? I haven't run a full length movie through HandBrake yet, just the 1 minute preview.

Does anybody have any better solutions that involve the DRM for digital copies of the movies? And really in the end, does the digital version once converted look any better than a dvd rip?

Thanks
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #112
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

The speed of any video conversion is dependent on the capabilities of your computer's CPU, and in some scenarios, GPU.

Sorry, can't help with the copy protection.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #113
CoreyTod
CoreyTod began at the beginning.

again with the silly questions...

I bought a 16 gig microsd card last night, and i am now trying to to put some movies onto it. Is there a way I can drag and drop the files onto the card while it is in my nook? Or do i have to take the card out and put the files onto it from my computer and then put it back in?
CoreyTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #114
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Corey, for that amount of data, you can just plug the USB Nook Color cable into your computer, and access both the internal memory space, and the micro-SDHC card space right in Windows, dragging and dropping files onto the card.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #115
CoreyTod
CoreyTod began at the beginning.

well would you look at that...i thought it would pop up under the nook header, but it comes up under its own file drive. I believe its worth noting that when I had plugged the nook into my computer without the sd card, that same file drive popped up but i couldn't access it.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. My nook is amazing. I also watched a hour and a half movie last night on it, and my battery only went down 17%. Granted, I had the brightness all the way down because I was in the dark, but that's pretty a pretty darn good battery imho.

Again, thank you...especially KryptoNyte and bbz_ghost.

Amazing.
CoreyTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #116
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Here's a quick video that I converted from HDTV if you'd like to download it and have a go on your Nook Color. The original source video was 1280x720 mpeg2 Time Warner data stream @ 60 frames per second. I have found that the Nook Color doesn't like 60 fps, so I've been encoding these at 29.97 fps (rather than "same as source").

Right-click HERE and choose "save target as" to save to your own hard drive.

Warning - it's a Keurig commercial.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #117
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

KryptoNyte,

Thanks for all of your posts - I've been able to get some nice looking videos created. One quick question - I see that Handbrake has no ability to regain the volume. Any suggestions on quick/easy tools to do that ? I see that there's an option called "DRC" in Handbrake but it doesn't sound like that will completely do what I want.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #118
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Yeah, that's a problem. As you noticed, the Handbrake DRC setting only normalizes audio, like that "night" setting that some of the flat panel TV's have, so it tries to even out the loud and the soft to create one consistent audio level throughout. When I tested this feature, it seemed to hurt more than help. Add that to the already low volume of the NC device, and it's definitely an issue for videos.

I'll look into this further, but right at the moment, I'm using a (purchased) piece of software called "VideoRedo" that may allow this. It has some input file type limitations, but it will take the Nook Color mp4, and if it will input all my target file types, I'm going to see if it will actually work for all the encoding also, leaving handbrake out of it. Of course you'll need the H.264 version, which is expensive, and I haven't tested the output file on the NC yet.

After I re-root my NC to the latest stuff, I'll see if I can get some time to find something better (maybe even free). I'm also looking into an option that could automate the entire process, where you could drag/drop your source video file onto a batch file that is pre-configured specifically for the Nook Color.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #119
ozzman
ozzman began at the beginning.

NC video

sory for the dumb question just got a NC and when i put videos on the micro sd card they dont show up any where. where is the video player at ? I have put them in the video folder. I have put mp3's in the music folder and they play. but dont see a video player
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #120
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
sory for the dumb question just got a NC and when i put videos on the micro sd card they dont show up any where. where is the video player at ? I have put them in the video folder. I have put mp3's in the music folder and they play. but dont see a video player
You just tap the file (My Files / Videos) and it should play.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote