Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Kindle DX and Original Kindle on eBay Deal of the Day [ENDED]

I'm somehow tempted to pick up a DX - $159 shipped.

They also have the Original Kindle for $24.99 shipped. I paid $400 for that thing when it came out!

Is buying the DX to keep around the house a bad idea?

I currently have the Paperwhite and KKB 3G...

http://deals.ebay.com/#350679718122

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-21-2013 at 08:11 AM.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I'm somehow tempted to pick up a DX - $159 shipped.

They also have the Original Kindle for $24.99 shipped. I paid $400 for that thing when it came out!

Is buying the DX to keep around the house a bad idea?

I currently have the Paperwhite and KKB 3G...

http://deals.ebay.com/#350679718122
Thanks a LOT for the "heads-up" on this. I just ordered the K1 (Original Kindle). Karma to you!

I still need a K2 for my collection though...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Just found a graphite DX w/case locally for $100. That'll work.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Just found a graphite DX w/case locally for $100. That'll work.
I got a DXG with official amazon leather cover about a month ago off craigslist for $70 (to replace my broken screen DXG). $100 is better than $159, and local is speedier "delivery". Good job.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I got a DXG with official amazon leather cover about a month ago off craigslist for $70 (to replace my broken screen DXG). $100 is better than $159, and local is speedier "delivery". Good job.
Hey thanks! Also, I caved and got the Original Kindle too. Hey, $24...cheaper than a steak. Nostalgia/beater Kindle, here I come!

There's something awesome about that little metallic indicator that I miss...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
geekmaster

My K1 just arrived. I am surprised at how good the screen looks. It is actually better than my DX (white) eink screen. It looks like it is brand new. It even has an SD card slot. Sadly, the roller switch for the menu navigation is flaky. I will have to contact the seller about that.

That metallic lcd indicator strip is really cool.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
coolbreeze
Addict

My K1 arrived today also. It's brand new and everything works perfect. Awesome deal for $25 shipped!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
geekmaster

I notified the vendor that the menu switch was flaky on my K1. They said they cannot replace it, but they gave me a full refund and I can keep it. That was very nice of them. I see that they have more units available for $35.

I am tempted to buy a $35 unit, but I really only need it for occasional code testing, so the one I have may be enough... Now I need to find a good price on a K2.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I notified the vendor that the menu switch was flaky on my K1. They said they cannot replace it, but they gave me a full refund and I can keep it. That was very nice of them. I see that they have more units available for $35.

I am tempted to buy a $35 unit, but I really only need it for occasional code testing, so the one I have may be enough... Now I need to find a good price on a K2.
I am probably headed down that same path. The K1 I got has a damaged screen and the wireless doesn't work. And the battery won't hold a charge but that's fixable. It's not that I was planning to do anything much with it other than have it in my collection, but without wireless I can't register it and really play around with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
coolbreeze
Addict

Got the DX w/Amazon case for $90 locally (online classifieds). It's brand new too!

I forgot how much I liked the DX...glad to have it back! The size is incredible for newspapers, pdfs and books of course.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I got a white DX from the seller. While it's usable, there's three spots of stuck bits, one of which is pretty obtrusive. I'll probably just put it aside as a backup.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote