Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Versions of an Ebook?

Hi All:

Was looking to download a copy of Frank Herberts "Dune" the other day. Amazon had it, so I downloaded the sample to check it out. There were quite a few editing problems (like 2 words combined into 1) in the small sample...does not bode well for the complete book. So my question...if I buy this from another source (like the Sony store) will I be getting the same thing? I'm guessing the publisher supplied one copy to all stores selling it...no?

Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I purchased Dune last year from Books on Board, and it is also atrociously formatted. I also would be interested if anyone has found a version that is worth paying money for (or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
They're probably the same, yes. There's still plenty of atrociously OCR'd books sold out there.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
indie
Enthusiast
indie began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's likely the same copy.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
They're probably the same, yes. There's still plenty of atrociously OCR'd books sold out there.
There certainly are. But I think that Amazon samples are made by Amazon, rather than the original publisher.

I remember downloading a sample from Amazon and posting here that it was the worst formatted book I had ever seen. It was vile. But I wanted the full book so badly that I bought it anyway, and it was much better.

But it came in azw which I can only read on my computer and don't yet know how to remove the DRM. But that's another story.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
Hi All:

Was looking to download a copy of Frank Herberts "Dune" the other day. Amazon had it, so I downloaded the sample to check it out. There were quite a few editing problems (like 2 words combined into 1) in the small sample...does not bode well for the complete book. So my question...if I buy this from another source (like the Sony store) will I be getting the same thing? I'm guessing the publisher supplied one copy to all stores selling it...no?

Kevin
Well, I recently bought and read the Amazon copy, but I don't remember anything jumping out at me. However, it was such a long read that I probably didn't take note of them. If there is anything particular in your sample that you want me to check the book for, I'd be glad to.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I bought the book and downloaded a perfectly formatted copy from somewhere else...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I bought the book and downloaded a perfectly formatted copy from somewhere else...
Shame the publishers didn't do the same thing.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Well, I recently bought and read the Amazon copy, but I don't remember anything jumping out at me. However, it was such a long read that I probably didn't take note of them. If there is anything particular in your sample that you want me to check the book for, I'd be glad to.
Betty:

Thanks, that would be great! In the third chapter, take a look at the little paragraph (or quote) that starts it. Mine has: "The Reverend Mother must combine the seductive wiles of acourtesan...." (instead of a courtesan). I'm curious as to what the full version has. Thanks,

Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
Betty:

Thanks, that would be great! In the third chapter, take a look at the little paragraph (or quote) that starts it. Mine has: "The Reverend Mother must combine the seductive wiles of acourtesan...." (instead of a courtesan). I'm curious as to what the full version has. Thanks,

Kevin
Sorry -- it reads just like your sample.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote