Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Portnull
Portnull began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
html2epub: invalid cover image

Hi all,

No matter what image format or color mode I use, html2epub always returns this:

File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/epub/from_html.py", line 329, in create_cover_image
raise ValueError('Invalid cover image')

I believe the standalone Calibre application doesn't have this issue, but I'm planning on running html2epub server-side.
Portnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Portnull

It doesn't even work when I take a cover image from an epub file that's successfully been converted using Calibre.
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On an OS X server?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Portnull

Probably on Linux/Apache.

Apart from that I'm a command line fanatic, and running html2epub instead of the full Calibre package would really improve my workflow.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You won't have that error on a linux machine and it should be resolved in calibre 0.6 on OS X as well (though I'm not sure)
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
I see the same error when using any2mobi to convert html to mobipocket with a coverage page. Doing the same process through the Calibre GUI works fine. Unfortunately, I'm facing a large pile of documents and books for which scripting using the command line tools are the only scalable approach!

Any estimate for when 0.6 will be out?

Also, do you have any plans for minimal support for exporting books to an iLiad? Essentially this would just mean a new option to export the book, cover page and a barebones manifest.xml file into a directory.
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

0.6 will be out within the next 10 days. 0.6 includes a basic driver for the Illiad (windows and linux only) that needs testing and more development.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
0.6 will be out within the next 10 days. 0.6 includes a basic driver for the Illiad (windows and linux only) that needs testing and more development.
That's great news! Hopefully the iLiad support will migrate into the OSX port before long.

I discovered you had 0.6 out in beta shortly after making my previous post, installed it and once I figured out the name and arguments of the new command line tool, was able to generate a book using the cover page option without seeing the previous error.

The resulting file was readable on the iLiad though I could not see a cover page (can't remember whether the mobipocket reader on iLiad supports coverpages come to think of it). Stanza on desktop normally displays cover pages but can't open this file at all (dies with a "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException 2302").
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can always see the cover page in the calibre ebook viewer