Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
That looks to be the ticket -- if you're in the USN. Perfect for device-restricted environments. Such as a nuclear submarine...
Actually, I thought the lack of a USB port eliminated this model. That's why I didn't recommend it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The Sony PRS-350 would be a better choice, and add PRS+ to it and you have a superb ereader without wireless. I have several of them I use and love them, it's still the reader I judge all others by, but I needed a front light. You can still find them around as well used or refurbished, and occasionally brand new ones never unboxed pop up for sale. You sideload all your books via USB. There is no SD card slot though if that matters.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
Well, my PRS-300 arrived, NIB as described. Once I figured out how to charge it (USB from wall charger vs computer USB port doesn't do it), it worked perfectly. I had an old 5V A/C charger with a tip that happened to fit, so that worked. I'm rather impressed. For an early model, it's quite good. Nice build, great screen, good capacity. Got all 90+ ePub books side-loaded, and now have to see how to organize them into what Sony calls "Collections." Looks like Calibre might be the best tool for that, though I've not used Calibre for that before. Other suggestions? The Sony software seems to strike many as rather clunky...
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
julianabr
julianabr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Also need this and turning wifi off wont solve issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Due to security, safety, or other concerns, there are places where you aren't allowed to have a wireless-equipped device.

That's what led to the development of the NeRD, and the related USAF model:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...reader-device/
Dear Mr. The Great

Even this is an old post, you are a current forum member, so i am hoping you read this and have some suggestions. I am in the same boat as OP: I need a non wi-fi ereader due to the "other concerns" mentioned above (turning wifi off does not solve my issue). I tried to track down the navy and UASF models you mentioned (they not only solve my issues, but COOL!), but no go. The most current one I could find was the sony prs-650.

Do you know of any other esoteric ereaders that fit the no wifi requirement (usb is ok)? If not, do you know if the sony handles the current version of calibre? I'm a kindle girl myself, and I don't want to buy the hardware if i have to use sony's atrocious software.

Another question i'll throw out there: Anyone know how to crack open a kindle (any model, I have several) and _disable_ the wifi?

Thanks all!

juliana
julianabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I use Calibre with all of my Sony ereaders with no problem at all.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #21
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The Sony PRS-350 is also wireless free and has later features otherwise. Also the PRS-650 Sony was wireless free. I have both the PRS-350 and PRS-650. All later Sony ebook readers and the 7" readers had wi-fi or 3G. On the PRS-900 and PRS-950 the wireless is pretty useless as Sony never updated the firmware of either to allow easy access to the Kobo store which took over book sales for Sony readers when Sony shut down their book sales. Only the "T" series Sony's were updated.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianabr View Post
Do you know of any other esoteric ereaders that fit the no wifi requirement (usb is ok)? If not, do you know if the sony handles the current version of calibre? I'm a kindle girl myself, and I don't want to buy the hardware if i have to use sony's atrocious software.
I have way too many Sonys and they all work fine with Calibre, so you won't have to use Sony's software (which I don't find particularly "atrocious" but that's beside the point – it's inconvenient because I'm a Linux user and have to find the laptop that has a Window partition to use it). I should say, you may have to use the software for DRM downloads or borrowing from Overdrive – not sure if this can be done with ADE or not (probably can, I just don't know how). Borrowing from Overdrive is the only time I've used the Sony software.

If you want to try a PRS-300, which have good clear screens, but no justification, hyphens or dictionaries (if that matters to you), you can buy factory refurbished ones on eBay for $20 (includes s/h).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PRS-30...0AAOSw-0xYXDe2

You can also find good used ones (often with lighted cases) for about that if you watch eBay.

EDIT: I can't personally vouch for the seller, but he/she has sold 52 of these so far.

As mentioned by others, however, you might like the PRS-350 or PRS-650 more. Both have are more advanced features with the same version of the Oxford Dictionary that Kindle uses. Both handle justified text – don't know about hyphens, it's not something I worry about but there are some here who do. The 350's are common on eBay, 650's not so much so. The 650 also can play audio and an SD memory card slot and the Sony Duo (something or other) memory card slot.

(EDIT 2: Looks like this has all been said by earlier posters. Sorry (again).)

Last edited by rcentros; 03-12-2018 at 11:40 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Another question i'll throw out there: Anyone know how to crack open a kindle (any model, I have several) and _disable_ the wifi?
I don't know how easy it would be to disable WiFi on a Kindle, but you can find out how to open them by going to Youtube and looking for battery replacement videos. The older ones were easier than the newer ones to open up. I think, probably the easiest one to open was the Touch.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Dear Mr. The Great

Even this is an old post, you are a current forum member, so i am hoping you read this and have some suggestions. I am in the same boat as OP: I need a non wi-fi ereader due to the "other concerns" mentioned above (turning wifi off does not solve my issue). I tried to track down the navy and UASF models you mentioned (they not only solve my issues, but COOL!), but no go. The most current one I could find was the sony prs-650.

Thanks all!

juliana
Did you look at this device? Playaway#Lock on our wiki?

Also look at InkCase Plus which is a reader that fits on the back of a phone but can be removed and used by itself. When it is by itself there is no WiFi.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 03-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
That looks to be the ticket -- if you're in the USN. Perfect for device-restricted environments. Such as a nuclear submarine...
If you only want the books on it when you receive it. Without USB or WiFi, adding content is going to be a trifle difficult.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you look at this device? Playaway#Lock on our wiki?
A while back, we looked at the Playaway Lock as a device for use in school libraries. When we found that a Playaway Lock would cost us an average of $389 US for the annual lease option or an average of $449 US for the perpetual license and there was no way that we could curate/add our own content, the libraries decided to continue with their Kobo loaner devices.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A while back, we looked at the Playaway Lock as a device for use in school libraries. When we found that a Playaway Lock would cost us an average of $389 US for the annual lease option or an average of $449 US for the perpetual license and there was no way that we could curate/add our own content, the libraries decided to continue with their Kobo loaner devices.
Interesting. They indicated that the perpetual license included a way to add and change content. To quote the web site: "Retain ongoing access to titles and keep popular content on your shelves year after year." Perhaps they have fixed it since you looked at it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting. They indicated that the perpetual license included a way to add and change content. To quote the web site: "Retain ongoing access to titles and keep popular content on your shelves year after year." Perhaps they have fixed it since you looked at it.

Dale
For the annual content, you can ship the Lock back to them at least 30 days prior to the end of the year and they will update the content and renew your warranty as long as you keep paying. For the perpetual content, what you originally receive is all there is. For the price, our decison was that it's not worth the cost. For Canadians, it has even less worth considering the Canada/US exchange rate. The annual plan average of $389 currently would be ~$503 Cdn.

For that price, the decision was made to go with the Aura Edition 2 and spend the rest of the funds on improving their ebook collection. The district library software used has an ebook management capability and the students already use the web interface for searches.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #29
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony PRS-T1 has a downloadable service manual and careful reading may well show how to disable or remove the Wi-Fi antenna which should totally disable the wi-fi function. No guarantee but looks like a possibility to me. A similar manual is available for the PRS-950.

The simple solution to me is to use a Sony PRS-350 or PRS-650. Both never had any communications capability independent of the USB port to a computer. Both available at reasonable prices and Calibre was originally designed for the Sony readers to replace the Sony support software.

Another possibility is a ebay Kindle refurbisher who sells on ebay, "tccs". He replaced the broken screen on a Kindle DX for me. I am willing to bet that he could disable communications on a Wi-Fi or 3G Kindle easily. Worth contacting him to ask anyway. Here is a link to his ebay site.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/tccs?_trksi...19.m1438.l2754
Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

If there is demand out there for security ebook readers without wireless communications capability I am surprised that nothing new seems to be available. Would think that this would be a niche that Amazon or Kobo could easily fill.