Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
PablitoG
PablitoG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
.m4v format is not supported.

When we create an .epub3 book for Apple devices, we use the .m4v format to store our videos in the assets. Calibre after 1.23 suddenly supported this format until 1.27 .

I just cannot understand why in 2014 Calibre, an amazing program, is not able to function under the simple needs of an .epub3 .

Thank you.
PablitoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoG View Post
Calibre after 1.23 suddenly supported this format until 1.27 .
What are you saying? Do you actually have a request or suggestion? Understanding that full epub3 support most likely isn't going to happen quickly is there any other specific suggestion you would like to make?

Currently in your post you made statements that don't require any response.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has never supported playback of either video or audio in any format in ebooks. The only exception is for calibre on linux, where if the correct qt plugins are installed, the viewer becomes capable of video/audio playback, but that was entirely accidental and never a supported feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What are you saying? Do you actually have a request or suggestion? Understanding that full epub3 support most likely isn't going to happen quickly is there any other specific suggestion you would like to make?

Currently in your post you made statements that don't require any response.
Sorry about that. I will make a better statement.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre has never supported playback of either video or audio in any format in ebooks. The only exception is for calibre on linux, where if the correct qt plugins are installed, the viewer becomes capable of video/audio playback, but that was entirely accidental and never a supported feature.
Sorry to prove you wrong, big time. This is a video I prepared (the audio is muted on purpose) that showcases Calibre capable of playing .m4a (audio) and partially .m4v (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XuMnRGNfc

My book (http://tangofaqs.com) is selling really well and I want my readers to be able to experience the potentials of my .epub3 . Releases 1.23 until 1.27 did that perfectly.

Suggestion: Can you please bring back to the software, these supported features? Thanks.

Last edited by PablitoG; 03-14-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Corrections. Thanks jokers.
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Sorry to prove you wrong, big time. This is a video I prepared (the audio is muted in purpose) that showcases Calibre fully CAPABLE to play .m4a (audio) and partially .m4v (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XuMnRGNfc

My book (http://tangofaqs.com) is selling really well and I want my readers to be able to experience the potentials of my .epub3 . Releases 1.23 until 1.27 did that PERFECTLY.

Suggestion: Can you PLEASE bring back to the software these compatibilities? Thanks.
Yeah, Kovid:

What the hell would YOU know, anyway?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Accidentally 'fully CAPABLE'" != "supported feature."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sorry to prove you wrong, big time.
You proved nothing except that maybe Kovid's statement should apply to OSX as well as Linux. Either way it was never a supported feature. Also since this isn't a supported feature it may be just as likely that it stopped working because something on your system changed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-13-2014 at 10:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
PablitoG, you can download the 1.27 version at
http://download.calibre-ebook.com/1.27.0/

Unless you are desperate to have some new feature then use that.

There are other epub3 readers if you want your readers to be able to view your book. Calibre's display is not intended to be a full feature e-reader, but only a help to categorizing, storing and making ebooks.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The perils of using unsupported features

The (OS dependent) features usage can be fixed at any time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@PablitoG - Try Lucidor - it claims EPUB 3.0 support - I does have annotations, not sure about embedded media - it needs firefox.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
PablitoG, you can download the 1.27 version at
http://download.calibre-ebook.com/1.27.0/

Unless you are desperate to have some new feature then use that.

There are other epub3 readers if you want your readers to be able to view your book. Calibre's display is not intended to be a full feature e-reader, but only a help to categorizing, storing and making ebooks.
Thank you very much for that. Valuable info. I already have the 1.27. Can you suggest some other readers please?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #13
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The perils of using unsupported features

The (OS dependent) features usage can be fixed at any time.
They can be fixed by the user you mean? How? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #14
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@PablitoG - Try Lucidor - it claims EPUB 3.0 support - I does have annotations, not sure about embedded media - it needs firefox.

BR
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I didn't know about Lucidor.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #15
PablitoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You proved nothing except that maybe Kovid's statement should apply to OSX as well as Linux. Either way it was never a supported feature. Also since this isn't a supported feature it may be just as likely that it stopped working because something on your system changed.
Thank you for the comment.

Tags
apple, epub3, m4v