Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Book covers on Paperwhite

I have several thousand books in my Calibre2OPDS catalog and I think it is fabulous! I use it to download mobis to my Kindle and epubs to Voice Dream on my iphone to listen to in the car. I am the new owner of a Kindle Paperwhite and am pleased that I can now see my book covers on it. I downloaded a small plug-in from Mobileread (sorry - can't remember where I found it) which means that when I upload books directly from my computer, they all (so far) have their proper covers showing. I have noticed, however, that the same books downloaded from my online catalog usually only show the replacement generic Amazon covers instead of the correct ones. Can anyone suggest a way round this?
Thanks!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pufff: See the numerous threads about this very thing (this one asking nearly the same question, for example).

TL;DR:

* Stuff converted with the 'Enable sharing' output setting will show a cover thumbnail (albeit possibly a bit smaller, and possibly a PDOC banner) when downloaded via the on-device browser.
* Other than that, making sure the ASIN in the metadata matches the proper Kindle release, which can be pretty time consuming (and annoying as hell), depending on how your books where imported in Calibre.

(Before the pitchforks come out: this is a specific answer to the OP's workflow. The easiest way to get proper cover thumbnails is to simply use Calibre's Send To Device with your preferred output settings [AZW3, PW output profile, No 'enable sharing']).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-10-2012 at 10:16 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
pufff
Enthusiast

Enabling file sharing made no difference I'm afraid.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
You miss read that.... he saod it is because of file sharing... So turn OFF file sharing

use Calibre's Send To Device with your preferred output settings [AZW3, PW output profile, No 'enable sharing']
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JohnnyBook: Actually, he didn't .

While I did mention that the easiest way to get covers was to use Send To Device, I did also say that checking the 'Enable sharing' output setting should help when not using Send To Device .

@pufff: Make sure that you reconverted the file, and, if you're trying to download a book that's already on your device, that you deleted it from the device first (preferably from the device's UI).
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
pufff
Enthusiast

OK. Now I have covers! I enabled "File Sharing", disabled "resize" on Calibre2opds. Reconverted and it worked! Despite having the personal document tag set to EBOK I am now getting a personal banner. Can I get rid of it?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pufff: With this specific workflow, nope. Side-effect of the 'sharing' setting. You get the covers, but you also get a PDOC flag .
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
pufff
Enthusiast

So, if I want to download via Caibre2opds there is no way to get covers WITHOUT personal banner?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pufff: Yep, that's what it boils down to .

(Well, that's not completely true: there is also the long & arduous possibility of converting without the 'share' option, but while making sure that the ASIN that ends up in the file metadata exactly matches the Kindle edition of said book, then rely on the Kindle downloading it itself).
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
pufff
Enthusiast

No thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Shiverio
Shiverio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
So, if I want to download via Caibre2opds there is no way to get covers WITHOUT personal banner?
Hi!, I just registered in this forum to share my particular case with you.

I have a .mobi file, converted from .rtf in Calibre, that shows the proper cover and no "Personal" banner, even when I move it to the kindle via drag & drop. Unfortunately it was one of the first books I converted, and I have no idea how I did it or what settings I used at the time. I haven't been able to repeat this; all my other books don't show the cover unless they're also displaying the "Personal" banner.

I won't post it here as I'm not sure if that would be legal, but if someone is able to work out the settings I used back then by studying it, I would gladly email that file to him.

Regards.

P.D.: I didn't deal with the ASIN number either.
Shiverio is offline   Reply With Quote