Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #16
DinoNYC
DinoNYC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the info guys. At this point I'll settle for a solid e-reader/e-ink that will allow me to easily download the New York Times every day, if need be, I'll settle for the Kindle Fire or a Kobo tablet if they support it.
DinoNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I simply wish to claim that multipurpose devices are tablets, and dedicated one-job-only devices meant for reading ebooks are ereaders.
The devices in question may put a focus on ereading, but that doesn't make them ereaders, any more than the Tab 4 Nook is an ereader.
Many (most?) non-Android eReaders also have a few ancillary applications (e.g. web browsers), so I think you'd have some difficulty in finding ones that are purely "one-job-only".

The glaring difference between an Android eInk eReader and your "Tab 4 Nook" is that you cannot watch a movie or play most games on the Android eInk eReader. You would also have problems (due to white-on-white) even getting many apps to work.

Penultimately, if it is explicitly sold as an "eReader", and explicitly listed on this site's "eBook Reader Matrix", as both the Boyue and Onyx-Boox are, then I have no qualms whatsoever calling it an "eReader".

Finally, they clearly fall within the ambit of what the OP was asking for in terms of an "eReader" (periodical-apps-wanted, tablets=color). So I'm not sure why you're playing the (misguided) Definition Police here.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The NYT is not available for Fires from Amazon, just eink Kindles.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The NYT is not available for Fires from Amazon, just eink Kindles.
But you can, as I mentioned in an earlier post, get it via Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
DinoNYC
DinoNYC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you can, as I mentioned in an earlier post, get it via Calibre.
Oh awesome, I mean I looked in Calibre before but wasn't sure if it would require me converting it via my computer everyday
DinoNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would suggest that the terms are orthogonal: "tablet" refers to a physical form factor, but "eReader" to a usage.
eReader is an eBook format and also the name of the program used to display eReader format eBooks. eReader to mean electronic Reader is just plain wrong as that term was and is already taken to mean something else.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNYC View Post
Oh awesome, I mean I looked in Calibre before but wasn't sure if it would require me converting it via my computer everyday
Some people download the news from several sites every day, making it more worth it.
Youcan also leave calibre running and have it email to your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eReader is an eBook format and also the name of the program used to display eReader format eBooks. eReader to mean electronic Reader is just plain wrong as that term was and is already taken to mean something else.
Perhaps it is the other way around...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eReader to mean electronic Reader is just plain wrong as that term was and is already taken to mean something else.

Give it up, Jon. The word has come to mean "book reader", whatever other use it once originally had. Given that the eReader format is now pining for the fjords, it's completely useless to keep going on about how "wrong" everyone is to use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Give it up, Jon. The word has come to mean "book reader", whatever other use it once originally had. Given that the eReader format is now pining for the fjords, it's completely useless to keep going on about how "wrong" everyone is to use it.
And just to add to that. The eBook format John is referring to is now dead. There is no longer any possible confusion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Given that the eReader format is now pining for the fjords
Love the Monty Python reference.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNYC View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. At this point I'll settle for a solid e-reader/e-ink that will allow me to easily download the New York Times every day, if need be, I'll settle for the Kindle Fire or a Kobo tablet if they support it.

The fire or any other tablet will definitely have a glare, you won't really be able to read outside . The kindle is a great e-ink device. You can get both the basic kindle and the 6 in fire for around $200. Just watch for sales. My fire was$89, and the basic kindles have been as low as $59-$69. Then you have the bar of both worlds .
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote